Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times

Advertisements

Can you really simply cross the border when pregnant, pay nothing for the medical delivery of your child, claim the child as a United States citizen and then collect food stamps or other benefits from the US government as a result even if you yourself are not an American citizen?

I've heard this stated many times before. Is it true?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 11:27 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Sadly Yes

Here is just one of many links;
$6 Billion a Year for Mexican “Anchor Babies?”

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Cost of Illegal Immigrants | FactCheck.org

Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 AM

But if they show up at an emergency room to give birth doesn't the hospital then bill them later on? I've NEVER been able to get access to medical care unless I have an insurance card. How can you just show up for a costly medical procedure and not get billed for it?

Don't you have to give your name? Are illegals simply showing up, lying and then going somewhere else to avoid paying what they owe? Especially if they don't have insurance and most do not? Don't they have a credit rating?

And how can they collect funds for food stamps without at least proving income and legal residentcy? Again don't you have to jump through at least a few hoops first? Is all that's really required is merely a birth certificate for a baby and -- voila -- food stamps?

Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
So if this report states, "So, how much do illegal immigrants cost federal, state and local governments in the U.S.? Estimates vary widely, and no consensus exists," then how can one say anything at all?

I think there's clearly a cost involved here.

Common sense indicates you can't just have massive migration of largely very low skilled, extremely poorly educated, non-English speakers who come without here any sort of check to make sure they're not carrying communicable diseases or have chronic medical conditions and imagine there won't be serious costs to middle class taxpayers as a result.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Can you really simply cross the border when pregnant, pay nothing for the medical delivery of your child, claim the child as a United States citizen and then collect food stamps or other benefits from the US government as a result even if you yourself are not an American citizen?

Thank you.
Unfortunately, this is true. It has been estimated that illegal aliens have given birth to 4 million babies on U.S. soil. Yes, they receive “free†maternity care; as well as postnatal, WIC, welfare, subsidized housing, and myriad other benefits reserved for citizens. Without their U.S.-born children, it would be much more difficult to fleece taxpayers. Plus, they are guaranteed at least 18 years of freebies for each child.

To ensure a constant sucking at the government teat, they rarely give birth to only one child. Notice how many young, (usually non-English-speaking) Hispanic women are either pregnant, recently gave birth, or have at least 3 small children in tow? It’s a HUGE, disgusting racket.

Quote:
Eliot is one of an estimated 300,000 children of illegal immigrants born in the United States every year, according to the Pew Hispanic Center. They're given instant citizenship because they are born on U.S. soil, which makes it easier for their parents to become U.S. citizens.

"I am very glad that he was born. That's why I came here - so my children, my husband and I could have a better life," she said through a translator.

"Do many women in Mexico make the choice to have their children in the United States?" Pitts asked.

"Yes," she said through a translator. "I know people who have done that. Things are much better here in the U.S. because they help children so much more."
Illegal Immigrant Births - At Your Expense - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Another scam. . .
Quote:
Millions of foreign tourists visit the United States every year, and a growing number return home with a brand new U.S. citizen in tow.
Immigration: 'Birth Tourism' Industry Markets U.S. Citizenship Abroad - ABC News

Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM

11,251 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:

Thank you.
Welcome to the Illegal Immigration forum! Stick around here and you will hear the truth be spoken.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
But if they show up at an emergency room to give birth doesn't the hospital then bill them later on? I've NEVER been able to get access to medical care unless I have an insurance card. How can you just show up for a costly medical procedure and not get billed for it?

Don't you have to give your name? Are illegals simply showing up, lying and then going somewhere else to avoid paying what they owe? Especially if they don't have insurance and most do not? Don't they have a credit rating?

And how can they collect funds for food stamps without at least proving income and legal residentcy? Again don't you have to jump through at least a few hoops first? Is all that's really required is merely a birth certificate for a baby and -- voila -- food stamps?
ERs cannot refuse a patient. The patient will either a) just tell them outright that they do not have insurance. the ER is not allowed to ask immigration status. b) give fake info; name, address, fake or made up SS.

Either way, the bill ends up uncollectible and the taxpayers foot the bill.

My parents kept getting a hospital bill in the name of a Maria Gonzalez sent to their address for over a year. A year or two before that started, they were getting various pieces of mail, all in hispanic names. She would mark those 'return to sender, not at this address'. I expect it will happen again.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:24 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I don't have an issue with not being able to refuse patients who aren't insured...however, it still shouldn't stop the hospitals from billing the patient and expecting the patient to pay up. If necessary they should be able to sic bill collectors on them and/or garnish their paychecks until they pay up. This free healthcare business crap is really bothersome and should be easily preventable.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:37 PM

286 posts, read 535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I don't have an issue with not being able to refuse patients who aren't insured...however, it still shouldn't stop the hospitals from billing the patient and expecting the patient to pay up. If necessary they should be able to sic bill collectors on them and/or garnish their paychecks until they pay up. This free healthcare business crap is really bothersome and should be easily preventable.
Should? What happens is the illegal aliens give fake address and a ssn so some a legal resident gets the bill and the bad credit rating and if you think that isn't true, it happened to a friend of mine and my three year old daughter.

Last edited by funkykatt; 08-03-2010 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration