U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,642,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Amnesty is not the answer. Giving a blanket amnesty to the estimated 12 to 20 million people who are in this country illegally will only encourage more people to come to this country illegally, hoping to cash in on the next amnesty.

After Reagan's amnesty, the American people were promised that our borders would be secured and enforced, and that there would never be another amnesty. We simply cannot continue allowing people to flaunt our sovereign laws and then reward them for doing so. Deportation, as in rounding people up and putting them on a bus (or plane, boat, whatever) is not necessary. All that needs to be done is to make living in this country illegally an extremely uncomfortable and unprofitable experience.

1. Clarify the Fourteenth Amendment. It was ratified to give citizenship to the children of slaves, not foreign nationals. No tempting birthright American citizenship, less pregnant foreign nationals of EVERY ethnicity coming into America in order to give birth to an American citizen.

2. Heavily fine and imprison all employers found to have illegal aliens in their employ.

3. No more benefits for illegal aliens. No citizenship--no WIC, no Medicare, no food stamps, no Section 8 housing, no medical care unless a life threatening emergency is in progress. No more freebies at the expense of American taxpayers--no more impetus to come to the U.S. illegally to live at the expense of hard-working citizens.

4. Legal residency must be proven before bank accounts can be opened, credit obtained, utilities turned on, and/or homes can be purchased or rented.

5. In this computer generation, it is ridiculous to believe that identity theft by Social Security number cannot be tracked. Hold accountable the thieves stealing American identities in order to work illegally in this country.

6. Secure our borders and enforce our current laws which would be perfectly workable if they were actually enforced.

Six simple steps and Voila! Deportation through attrition. Neither ICE nor the Border Patrol have to physically deport illegal aliens.

Do you reward your child for playing with matches? Your dog for peeing on your carpet? The thug down the street for breaking into your car and stealing your stereo?

No reward for illegal behavior.

No amnesty.

No compromise. None.
Absolutely...well said. I distinctly remember the '86 amnesty...the promises that preceded it, the 'hoopla' that accompanied it, and the assurances that this would 'solve the problem forever'. I ALSO remember a bit of gloating on Spanish-language radio...(but I suppose that's forgiveable..after all, it was a pretty slick victory ).

Now, I'm expecting those promises (the ones made by our elected officials, which I and millions of others witnessed) to be kept. That's it....no ifs, ands, or buts....no more or 'just ONE more chance' stuff. None of this "but THIS time, it'll be DIFFERENT !...HONEST !". Nope, I'm not buying it. I've had it. Enough is enough.

"Burn me once, shame on you....burn me TWICE...shame on ME!" goes the old saying. This entire amnesty 'discussion' is a tedious insult to our intelligence.

The '86 Amnesty resulted in 3 million people being given a 'free pass'...not deserved, simply given. The result? Now there are 12 or 15 million 'candidates'..angry, resentful, sulking, and furious that THEY can't have the same thing...because "you gave it once, and you should give it again". Absolutely astounding.

And by the way...those 3 million who were 'regularized'? Anyone lately heard of any sort of 'Thank You, America; that was a nice gesture'? I'm not aware of any such sentiments....Amnesty and 'giving in' to Third-World lawbreakers doesn't engender gratitude...it engenders disrespect, cynicism, and false entitlement for 'more and more and more'. BAD BAD idea, amnesty.

Thanks, Kele....you put it so plainly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,180,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Absolutely...well said. I distinctly remember the '86 amnesty...the promises that preceded it, the 'hoopla' that accompanied it, and the assurances that this would 'solve the problem forever'. I ALSO remember a bit of gloating on Spanish-language radio...(but I suppose that's forgiveable..after all, it was a pretty slick victory ).

Now, I'm expecting those promises (the ones made by our elected officials, which I and millions of others witnessed) to be kept. That's it....no ifs, ands, or buts....no more or 'just ONE more chance' stuff. None of this "but THIS time, it'll be DIFFERENT !...HONEST !". Nope, I'm not buying it. I've had it. Enough is enough.

"Burn me once, shame on you....burn me TWICE...shame on ME!" goes the old saying. This entire amnesty 'discussion' is a tedious insult to our intelligence.

The '86 Amnesty resulted in 3 million people being given a 'free pass'...not deserved, simply given. The result? Now there are 12 or 15 million 'candidates'..angry, resentful, sulking, and furious that THEY can't have the same thing...because "you gave it once, and you should give it again". Absolutely astounding.

And by the way...those 3 million who were 'regularized'? Anyone lately heard of any sort of 'Thank You, America; that was a nice gesture'? I'm not aware of any such sentiments....Amnesty and 'giving in' to Third-World lawbreakers doesn't engender gratitude...it engenders disrespect, cynicism, and false entitlement for 'more and more and more'. BAD BAD idea, amnesty.

Thanks, Kele....you put it so plainly.
Agreed. Good posts, macmeal and kele.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration