U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2010, 05:09 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,957 posts, read 30,215,777 times
Reputation: 17764

Advertisements

A basis for compromise on immigration - Saturday, Aug. 7, 2010 | 2:04 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun


But but but, I thought they came here to "work"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2010, 07:37 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,704,899 times
Reputation: 3010
No, no, no, no, no!!!

No Amnesty! No Compromise!

Enforcement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 07:40 AM
 
Location: People's Republic of California
285 posts, read 447,879 times
Reputation: 233
Blah blah blah....let's just keep appeasing the criminals. It wouldn't do any good. They'll keep coming and there will be another anmestly. When my kids do something wrong, they need to be set straight not given more chances. If they keep getting chances, they never learn. Our country treats illegals like that. How great for south of the border folk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Reputation: 38880
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
In reality we all know there is no way we are going to send 12 to 20 million people back to Mexico or wherever they have immigrated from, and I don't have an answer, but I do want to see this crap about kids born here, to illegals are automatic citizens stopped like yesterday...I don't think it makes any difference if one parent is a citizen, here illegally, kid is not a citizen.

I do think there should be some sort of a workers program plus maybe some form of amnesty in rare cases. The best I can come up with, and I know a lot of you will think I am crazy: just a guide line: here 10 years, proof of contant employment, absolutely no criminal record regardless of how small, large fine (maybe $5 to $10K) willing to learn to speak English (this goes for the entire family, not just the head of the household) and applying for citizenship. Those who can meet all the above qualifications are showing they really want to be part of our country. Of course we could require them to register as Repbulicans when they become citizens..That would help.


Yes, we all know Reagan signed the bill to allow amnesty. That was to protect many Salvadorians who were escaping from their country to remain here. I wonder what he would do if he were alive today? I know he didn't intend for what we are seeing now to happen.

The same with the 14th admendment, it has been totally missused.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 08:12 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,802,167 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In reality we all know there is no way we are going to send 12 to 20 million people back to Mexico or wherever they have immigrated from, and I don't have an answer, but I do want to see this crap about kids born here, to illegals are automatic citizens stopped like yesterday...I don't think it makes any difference if one parent is a citizen, here illegally, kid is not a citizen.

I do think there should be some sort of a workers program plus maybe some form of amnesty in rare cases. The best I can come up with, and I know a lot of you will think I am crazy: just a guide line: here 10 years, proof of contant employment, absolutely no criminal record regardless of how small, large fine (maybe $5 to $10K) willing to learn to speak English (this goes for the entire family, not just the head of the household) and applying for citizenship. Those who can meet all the above qualifications are showing they really want to be part of our country. Of course we could require them to register as Repbulicans when they become citizens..That would help.


Yes, we all know Reagan signed the bill to allow amnesty. That was to protect many Salvadorians who were escaping from their country to remain here. I wonder what he would do if he were alive today? I know he didn't intend for what we are seeing now to happen.

The same with the 14th admendment, it has been totally missused.

Nita
You know the so-called hardcore rabid "anti-illegal" crowd on this board are going to attack you for even suggesting what you did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 08:16 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In reality we all know there is no way we are going to send 12 to 20 million people back to Mexico or wherever they have immigrated from, and I don't have an answer, but I do want to see this crap about kids born here, to illegals are automatic citizens stopped like yesterday...I don't think it makes any difference if one parent is a citizen, here illegally, kid is not a citizen.

I do think there should be some sort of a workers program plus maybe some form of amnesty in rare cases. The best I can come up with, and I know a lot of you will think I am crazy: just a guide line: here 10 years, proof of contant employment, absolutely no criminal record regardless of how small, large fine (maybe $5 to $10K) willing to learn to speak English (this goes for the entire family, not just the head of the household) and applying for citizenship. Those who can meet all the above qualifications are showing they really want to be part of our country. Of course we could require them to register as Repbulicans when they become citizens..That would help.


Yes, we all know Reagan signed the bill to allow amnesty. That was to protect many Salvadorians who were escaping from their country to remain here. I wonder what he would do if he were alive today? I know he didn't intend for what we are seeing now to happen.

The same with the 14th admendment, it has been totally missused.

Nita
The problem with your proposal is that most of these illegals have committed I.D. and document fraud and they are felonies. An American citizen would be punished severely for a felony. Are we to allow a pass to illegal alien felons? What about the jobs these illegal aliens are holding? So they have been employed for 10 years that just means an American was screwed out of a job for 10 years.

Reagan regretted his amnesty decision and under no circumstances should another be allowed.

I do however agree with you that birthright citizenship should be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 14,794,078 times
Reputation: 4583
I watched Grassley being interviewed by FOX. He laid out the Repub ideas for Immigration reform. All of the ideas were ideas that the Dems agree with. But absent from the Repub plan, was anything about dealing with the millions of illegals here. When he was asked, what he would be willing to compromise on, there was nothing! A blanket Amnesty, as was Reagan's, is obviously not the answer. The Dems do have a plan to effectively deal with that part, and it includes immediately identifying the illegals, making them get legal and providing a long term process to become integrated into our society. And eventually, gasp, gasp, become citizens, and yes, voters, which is really what the Repubs fear so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Reputation: 38880
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You know the so-called hardcore rabid "anti-illegal" crowd on this board are going to attack you for even suggesting what you did?
I know and most know I am to the right of center, but not toally right wing. I have been attacked for saying less, so I expect to get blasted out of the water on this one. I can't help it, I just think something has to be done and sending that many back to their respective countries is impossible.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Reputation: 38880
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I watched Grassley being interviewed by FOX. He laid out the Repub ideas for Immigration reform. All of the ideas were ideas that the Dems agree with. But absent from the Repub plan, was anything about dealing with the millions of illegals here. When he was asked, what he would be willing to compromise on, there was nothing! A blanket Amnesty, as was Reagan's, is obviously not the answer. The Dems do have a plan to effectively deal with that part, and it includes immediately identifying the illegals, making them get legal and providing a long term process to become integrated into our society. And eventually, gasp, gasp, become citizens, and yes, voters, which is really what the Repubs fear so much.
no, we do not fear them becoming voters. We just want it done legally and we don't want to comtinue to support illegals when we have all we can do to support our legal citizens..

You are assuming something that just isn't true..

nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,531 posts, read 79,825,470 times
Reputation: 38880
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
The problem with your proposal is that most of these illegals have committed I.D. and document fraud and they are felonies. An American citizen would be punished severely for a felony. Are we to allow a pass to illegal alien felons? What about the jobs these illegal aliens are holding? So they have been employed for 10 years that just means an American was screwed out of a job for 10 years.

Reagan regretted his amnesty decision and under no circumstances should another be allowed.

I do however agree with you that birthright citizenship should be changed.
I know he regretted it and if he were alive and well today he would regret it even more. I also agree with much of what you are saying about many of the illegals. That is why I say, set a policy that will allow only those above reproach to remain, shoot the rest. of course I am not serious about shooting the rest, but get them out of here.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top