U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:56 AM

9,605 posts, read 14,302,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Neil Diamond.

I'm 2nd generation American, and my grandparents had to pass through Ellis Island. The requirements were strict and many were turned away. My grandparents ALWAYS instilled how important it was that they had all of their arrangements in order - job waiting, place to stay, etc. Others they knew were not admitted for lack of same.
You do realize that many turned that were turned away stayed anyways, correct? If your grandparents fell into this category, do you think they would admit this?

Old 08-10-2010, 12:11 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,407,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
You are thinking of Satchmo & "Moon River". The immigrants sang it crossing from Ellis Island.

"Moon River, wider than a mile,
I'm crossing you in style some day.
Oh, dream maker, you heart breaker,
wherever you're going I'm going your way. "
Uh, I don't think so.
It's from a movie made a few decades back.
If anything, it refers to the Mississippi River.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,088,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Uh, I don't think so.
You are very right about the body of water that so many sang about back in the day.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:38 PM

3,858 posts, read 5,970,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Uh, I don't think so.
Psst -this whole thread is a running 'armstrong' joke. Pass it on.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Psst -this whole thread is a running 'armstrong' joke. Pass it on.
What is this Armstrong joke thing. Go read the OP and then take your joke and eat it.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Nah, I watched it. Didn't find it all that interesting.

I, for one, am not a huge fan of overly patriotic pop songs. To me it just says 'I'm taking advantage of the emotional mood of a country to rake in millions of dollars!!!' which I suppose is capitalism at it's finest.

I dislike most neo-country songs for the same reason.
Do you have any idea when that song was first recorded by Diamond? I just wondered. Maybe he was trying to take advantage of the feelings of too many lefties in our nation at the time.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,850,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you have any idea when that song was first recorded by Diamond? I just wondered. Maybe he was trying to take advantage of the feelings of too many lefties in our nation at the time.
I don't care what 'side' of the political spectrum you're on.

I feel the same way towards 'commercial' protest songs, sickeningly patriotic songs and everything in between.

Why does it always have to be a 'lefty vs. righty' thing with people?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I don't care what 'side' of the political spectrum you're on.

I feel the same way towards 'commercial' protest songs, sickeningly patriotic songs and everything in between.

Why does it always have to be a 'lefty vs. righty' thing with people?
Maybe that thing was first recorded by Diamond during the last days of the Vietnam war. Just in case you didn't know it was the lefties in this nation that were making all the noise and that song was about immigrants who came here from all over the world because they wanted to live here. Not many Mexicans or other Central Americans walking across that border are planning on staying any longer than they have to but they do want to have some money to send home.

I guess you don't hear Diamond saying that those legal people never looked back which means they moved here for all time. That song and the pictures of Ellis Island prove that the earlier immigrants who came legally were people who wanted to stay for all they had to go through to get in. Of course, at that time progressives were just getting a foothold here so left and right weren't really right. Today they have their foot on our throats and we either fight them or just give up and let them get all those illegal votes from making those people citizens.

It makes me sick to see people talk about the words of something like that song that talks about people who really wanted to live here. More of that attacking the messenger, Diamond, and any other people who make popular songs popular.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,633,512 times
Quote:
You are thinking of Satchmo & "Moon River". The immigrants sang it crossing from Ellis Island.

". "
I question this; how did these immigrants pick up Satchmo's New Orleans-inflected English, even before they'd hit the US mainland? Conversely, if they sang the song in their native languages, how did they get it to rhyme? (and how did they know what a 'mile' was, anyway?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I thought Neil Armstrong was the guy who recorded "Fly me to the Moon"?
Neil Armstrong was a US Astronaut.

Gemini 8, 1966

"Fly Me To The Moon" was by Frank Sinatra
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/111331...frank_sinatra/

Last edited by mkfarnam; 08-10-2010 at 08:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or