U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you part of the Nican Tlaca (all natives of the Americas) tribe?
I'm White/ Black American and part Indian. I'm living on stolen land! 6 17.65%
I'm White Mexican and part Indian. I own every inch of North & South America! 1 2.94%
I am only of European/ African/ Asian / Mid East ancestory 23 67.65%
I am only of Native American ancestry 4 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 1,435 times

Advertisements

North America’s first black president, Vicente Guerrero, predates Obama by 180 years

If Jeopardy’s Alex Trebek pronounced “He is the first black president in North America,” most of us would confidently answer “Who is Barack Obama?”

And we would be wrong.

The fact is that Mexico, not the United States, holds claim to that black history milestone. Vicente Guerrero preceded President Obama by over a century for that distinction. But don’t feel bad that you didn’t know that. Most Mexicans don’t either. (Note: Haiti’s Jean-Jacques Dessalines named himself emperor in 1804.)

“Guerrero is well known as the third president of Mexico but his African roots are not well known due to ignorance of the African presence in Mexico,” explains Dr. Carlos Muñoz, Jr., who served as the founding chair of this nation’s first Chicano Studies department at California State University at Los Angeles. “So despite the fact that Guerrero is a national hero, with statues in his likeness, a state named in is honor and Mexican towns like Vicente Guerrero in Baja California bearing his name, his African roots are only now becoming widely acknowledged.”

Old 10-09-2015, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,435 times
If Jeopardy’s Alex Trebek pronounced “He is the first black president in North America,” most of us would confidently answer “Who is Barack Obama?”

And we would be wrong.

The fact is that Mexico, not the United States, holds claim to that black history milestone. Vicente Guerrero preceded President Obama by over a century for that distinction. But don’t feel bad that you didn’t know that. Most Mexicans don’t either. (Note: Haiti’s Jean-Jacques Dessalines named himself emperor in 1804.)

“Guerrero is well known as the third president of Mexico but his African roots are not well known due to ignorance of the African presence in Mexico,” explains Dr. Carlos Muñoz, Jr., who served as the founding chair of this nation’s first Chicano Studies department at California State University at Los Angeles. “So despite the fact that Guerrero is a national hero, with statues in his likeness, a state named in is honor and Mexican towns like Vicente Guerrero in Baja California bearing his name, his African roots are only now becoming widely acknowledged.”

Independent scholar Theodore G. Vincent’s 2001 book, The Legacy of Vicente Guerrero, Mexico’s First Black Indian President, is credited for bringing this little-known black history fact into public discussion.

Born Vicente Ramón Guerrero Saldaña in 1782 to Afro-Mexican Pedro Guerrero and the indigenous Guadalupe Saldaña in Tixtla, a village in the Acapulco region in Spanish-ruled Mexico, Guerrero inherited a sense of justice early on. One year, Father Saucedo Caballero, the priest of his town, broke caste rules by omitting racial designations on baptism certificates before being replaced. According to Muñoz, “enslaved Africans were viewed as inferior to the Spanish colonizers, but were generally accepted as equals by the Mexican indigenous people.” During the 1791-1793 census, villagers around Guerrero intimidated Spanish racial census takers to list them as “Spanish” to avoid taxes and military duty.

Guerrero’s father intensely opposed slavery, reportedly influencing one of his slave-owning customers on his mule runs (being a mule driver was a widely Afro-Mexican profession back then) to free all of his 400-plus slaves.

Vicente Guerrero’s role as freedom fighter got underway in earnest when he impressed General José María Morelos, who was also of African descent, in 1810. Fighting against the Spanish, Guerrero rose in rank. When the Spanish captured and executed Morelos, Guerrero continued the fight.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:14 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,156,405 times
where did you put the Central Americans and Island folks? the Caribbean people have been in and out of the North Americas forever! CUBA is 90 mi away--do you not think they ever drifted north??

Old 10-10-2015, 02:48 PM

31,647 posts, read 14,607,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
where did you put the Central Americans and Island folks? the Caribbean people have been in and out of the North Americas forever! CUBA is 90 mi away--do you not think they ever drifted north??
Whom are you replying to here and just what is your point?

Old 10-10-2015, 03:09 PM

20,611 posts, read 12,298,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Whom are you replying to here and just what is your point?
I have a LOT of problem trying to figure out what tinytrump's trying to say.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I have a LOT of problem trying to figure out what tinytrump's trying to say.
You're not alone but I have my suspicions.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:30 PM

My roots are in the keys- people used to travel between all the islands and the US- could they not have traveled further north? and I did not reply-- I asked--

Old 10-10-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
My roots are in the keys- people used to travel between all the islands and the US- could they not have traveled further north? and I did not reply-- I asked--
You replied with a question. I asked what kind of point you were trying to make. What do you mean by "used to travel"? A lot of things use to be but they are no more because of new laws in place. People have to follow whatever the current laws are.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:24 AM

OP:
Are you part of the Nican Tlaca (all natives of the Americas) tribe?

The organization considers the vast majority of Mexicans and Central Americans to be Indigenous people of the Western Hemisphere. The group rejects all labels that originate from European-descent people. This would include Latino, Hispanic, Indian, and mestizo. Such labels are considered to be "European-colonial" in nature. The group includes "mixed-bloods" (people of partial European descent) and "full-bloods" as indigenous people.

http://www.mexica-movement.org/timexihcah/identity.htm

Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
OP:
Are you part of the Nican Tlaca (all natives of the Americas) tribe?

The organization considers the vast majority of Mexicans and Central Americans to be Indigenous people of the Western Hemisphere. The group rejects all labels that originate from European-descent people. This would include Latino, Hispanic, Indian, and mestizo. Such labels are considered to be "European-colonial" in nature. The group includes "mixed-bloods" (people of partial European descent) and "full-bloods" as indigenous people.

identity
Are you a believer of what the mexica-movement spews? No one was indigenous to this continent, hemisphere, etc. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else., No one has claims on an entire hemisphere or continent either. The only rights you have are in the country that you were either born or naturalized in and even that depends on what the laws/Constitution of the individual country has on citizenship rights. If you enter a country where you don't hold citizenship without that government's permission. You are there illegally.

Doesn't matter what they reject. You can't change the facts. Most Mexicans for example are Mestizos of mixed blood and most are Hispanics culturally and speak Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration