Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
This would be the first amendment (apart from the 18th) that reduces rights.

Except that those here illegally HAVE no rights to reduce..............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:04 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,825 times
It could be the way they posed the question too. Did they ask if people thought children of 'immigrants' should be denied citizenship, or did they specify illegal aliens? Proponents frequently 'forget' to mention the illegal part.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
There's no reason to change the constitution, they simply need to put it in the context of when it was written, and apply it to modern times. There is no way that the amendment was supposed to make legal hundreds of thousands of anchor babies. That's not the intention of the 14th amendment.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Hey! Thats a good thing then!!! Obama will surely move to remove the amendment then! (Gotta think like a crook!)

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 AM

24 posts, read 41,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Oh puhlease..........it's already BEEN changed, many times - wtf do you THINK amendments are?

No-one is suggesting rights be taken away except the FUTURE "rights" of those yet to deliver their babies on US soil while here illegally.

Right but it is a change that would erode the power of the people, and I will never support such a measure. Illegal immigration is an important issue, but not nearly as important of the government trampling on my individual rights. Sure - it only applies to foreigners on US soil - for now. But it's the slippery slope argument - give them an inch, the government will take a mile.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
One can only wonder what the results might have been if the question were asked in a less PC manner.
For example:
The 14th amendment was written to ensure all slaves and their descendants would be treated as and receive all the rights of US citizens. Do you agree that it should also be applied to the children of people who intentionally violate our immigration laws?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:53 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debits/credits View Post
Right but it is a change that would erode the power of the people, and I will never support such a measure. Illegal immigration is an important issue, but not nearly as important of the government trampling on my individual rights. Sure - it only applies to foreigners on US soil - for now. But it's the slippery slope argument - give them an inch, the government will take a mile.

For now? So in the future you plan to illegally immigrate to the USA and have a child?

Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 AM

181 posts, read 338,955 times
Have often wondered by "scientific telephone polls", that use a small group of people, nearly always have a different outcomes than the "unscientific" internet polls that have very large group participation.

See the CNN internet poll results. 66% to 34% favor the change. 66,000+ votes.

Why are 1,000 votes more representative than 66,000?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 AM

24 posts, read 41,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
For now? So in the future you plan to illegally immigrate to the USA and have a child?
No I was born here; so let's say today we change the constitution so that children born of illegal immigrants are not citizens. Then 10 years down the road the majority decides that this law should be applied retroactively. Then they want to declare millions of African-Americans as illegal because 150 years ago they were brought here and were never actually granted citizenship according to the new test (they were slaves). Then that they want to declare my grandfather illegal because in 1907 when my great-grandfather immigrated from Italy he and his wife gave birth to my grandfather before citizenship was obtained. By extension, then I become an illegal alien. It's a slippery slope. There are a lot of legal citizens born here who might lose their citizenship because of this.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
This would be the first amendment (apart from the 18th) that reduces rights.
How would it "reduce a right" of any legal Citizen? It would reduce a right for criminals I grant you that. If you understand the difference between a Illegal and legal Citizen, of course.

Man withdrawing cash with an ATM card and his own pin number = legal.

Man withdrawing cash with a hand gun = Illegal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration