U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,264,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debits/credits View Post
No I was born here; so let's say today we change the constitution so that children born of illegal immigrants are not citizens. Then 10 years down the road the majority decides that this law should be applied retroactively. Then they want to declare millions of African-Americans as illegal because 150 years ago they were brought here and were never actually granted citizenship according to the new test (they were slaves). Then that they want to declare my grandfather illegal because in 1907 when my great-grandfather immigrated from Italy he and his wife gave birth to my grandfather before citizenship was obtained. By extension, then I become an illegal alien. It's a slippery slope. There are a lot of legal citizens born here who might lose their citizenship because of this.
You're grasping at straws here. For one thing if the 14th was changed it wouldn't be retroactive. It would just mean than children born on our soil from illegal aliens parents from that point forward would not gain instant citizenship anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

24 posts, read 36,068 times
No.

Man withdrawing cash with a hand gun being caught by cop = Illegal

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,353,155 times
Quote:
No.

Man withdrawing cash with a hand gun being caught by cop = Illegal
So, your saying that it's only "illegal" if you get caught?.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:22 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,409,574 times
Good point Mkfarnam. Gotta wonder what some people teach their kids. I'm here but I'm a displaced migrant worker...unless I get caught. Then I'm an illegal immigrant.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:23 PM

24,292 posts, read 16,335,816 times
Quote:
As much as I abhor illegal immigration, I despise the thought of changing the constitution. It's an extremely drastic measure and not really in keeping with legal precedent. Further, I do not like the idea of taking ANY individual rights away. When that happens it is time to start burning things...
I don't think that it needs changing...I think it needs accurate interpretation of what it was really supposed to do. I do not believe that it was there for the purpose and abuse that it is being used for by illegals. Common sense dictates that if a person is unlawfully living in the U.S., their offspring should not be entitled to the rights that citizenship offers. My analogy is, if you rob a bank and buy things for your kids, should the kids get to keep the stuff purchased with the stolen money? A no brainer! They broke the law, no one, including the kids get to reap the rewards. Government is complicate in this outrageous and unrestrained immigration problem and if they really wanted to crack down, they would use the birthright law as it was intended to be used and throw employers of illegals in jail...period! They are fulll of $hit!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:37 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,050,058 times
Where's the logic in NOT giving citizenship to people LEGALLY in our country (ambassadors, foreign ministers, etc.) and GIVING it to those here ILLEGALLY? Logic - like common sense - is no longer is allowed in the US. :::SIGH:::

Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,947,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Where's the logic in NOT giving citizenship to people LEGALLY in our country (ambassadors, foreign ministers, etc.) and GIVING it to those here ILLEGALLY? Logic - like common sense - is no longer is allowed in the US. :::SIGH:::
Itís absolutely mind-boggling. Diplomats and their staff are here as our guests, while illegal aliens are interlopers. Yet, only the illegal aliensí children can be granted U.S. citizenship. Itís akin to having a dinner party and offering a catered meal to a group of party crashers, while your invited guests are served cold, moldy leftovers.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,833,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Itís absolutely mind-boggling. Diplomats and their staff are here as our guests, while illegal aliens are interlopers. Yet, only the illegal aliensí children can be granted U.S. citizenship. Itís akin to having a dinner party and offering a catered meal to a group of party crashers, while your invited guests are served cold, moldy leftovers.
You know that's a lie. Didn't you post a story about a woman on a tourist visa's child being granted U.S citizenship because he was born here?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:29 PM

10,658 posts, read 11,442,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post

IT'S A CNN POLL!! They are the illegal alien network!! I've never seen so much slanted crap in my life! Anderson freakin' Cooper can't hide his feelings for crap when he has has on a guest pro and con. He gives the pro guy as much time as he wants and the talks over the con guy.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,264,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You know that's a lie. Didn't you post a story about a woman on a tourist visa's child being granted U.S citizenship because he was born here?
A tourist is a Diplomat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or