U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 01:17 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,526 times

Advertisements

The cloture vote on the 'grand bargain' is going to be roughly 11:30 EST on Tuesday (tomorrow). Most insiders believe we only need a few more Senators to effectively kill this bill from even making it to debate, and there are some Senators who are still riding on the fence and could make or hopefully break this bill. The public pressure has been overwhelming and the tide is on our side, keep it up.

Key Senators to Call:

Bond (R-MO)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Burr (R-NC)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cochran (R-MS)
Conrad (D-ND)
Ensign (R-NV)
Levin (D-MI)
Gregg (R-NH)
Nelson (D-NE)
Hatch (R-UT)
Webb (D-VA)

Shamnesty Hotline:

(Not the only number you can call, hopefully others will post some others.)

1-800-417-7666
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:39 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
I called and faxed both of my Nebraska Senators, not that they care about what the public thinks. These guys think they are royality.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:32 PM

3,747 posts, read 7,210,050 times
There is some useful information here on calling your Senators.

Roy Beck's talking points on how to push back against the cloture deal

Basically, instead of just showing your hatred for this Bill, you should try to reason with them by providing details why you think it it a bad Bill. Believe or not the Senators who want this Bill passed do so because they think it will reduce illegal immigration. Or at least that's what they tell you. When you contact them, you want to explain why the Bill will not work. These are some of the things I tell them:

If the illegals here are allowed to become citizens that will just encourage more people to come illegally. Now They come for jobs. citizenship is an even better reason to come. Thus this Bill will not reduce the flow of illegals into this country.

If you really want to reduce illegals in this country, then you will want to remove the incentives that brought them here in the first place. This Bill does not reduce the those incentives. Instead, it does the opposite.

And of course there is always the threat of voting them out of office.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 PM

1,663 posts, read 2,215,236 times
Default I called...

I called Senator Boxer today...once in D.C. and once in San Francisco. I am sure that Feinstein is a lost cause, but I'll call her next.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:30 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,526 times
This is the latest news I've gathered on the shamnesty debacle:

Boxer (D-CA) is leaning towards voting no on cloture, hopefully she doesn't switch back on that.

Webb (D-VA) is also looking like he'll vote no for cloture which is a good sign which may sway some of the rest to vote no for cloture on a dying bill.

Bingaman is one to call though, looks like he traded his no vote in 'for something', maybe an amendment?

Sen. Bond looks like a lost cause unless some serious pressure is given to him by his constituents, he will be voting yes for cloture to see if his amendment is passed or not (essentially given this craptastic bill momentum).

There are rumors that Democrats on the Hill are predicting Bush will lose his cloture vote and thus his immigration bill.

Guess we will have to wait and see, might be time tomorrow to make some last minute phone calls to some of the Senators that are oblivious to public opinion. Can't say we haven't tried, Senate phones are jammed!

Old 06-25-2007, 08:07 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,031 times
Everyone tell your reps in a call/fax that if this bill gets passed, if they get their amnesty, they too will be out of a job like millions of Americans!

Enforce the border first, stop welfare, no anchor babies, enforce current laws, they will leave on their own. We will not have to put out trillions of dollars for them to stay. Spend the billions if enforcing the laws do not work! It will work!
If this passes, I will never pay taxes again! Instead, I will put it in a bank in Cayman Islands!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:27 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
Default I am sure

I am sure that there will be a "comprimise" and they will all shake hands and tell themselves how proud they are of each other

Old 06-26-2007, 10:36 AM

1,833 posts, read 5,752,426 times
If this Cloture passes, which is nothing more than to give a few an excuse to say they voted against the bill, but it appears they have enough to pass it.

I think we as a nation need to replace them all and I'll start with mine Mitch McConnell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration