U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:14 PM

2,733 posts, read 2,311,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I thought you had been around this forum long enough to realize that most of us are more for voluntary deportations via e-verify then mass deportations. There is little to no costs involved in them leaving volutarily.

Farms jobs are not what were are talking about. For one thing only a very small percentage of illegals are doing farm work and for them there are unlimited visas for legal immigrant workers to fill those jobs. It is those blue collar jobs such as construction, hospitality and other such jobs that Americans have always been willing to do but have been replaced by illegal workers instead.

We need to get back to how our economy functioned without illegal workers. We have always had to pay taxes as Americans from employment so how is today any different? As for welfare handouts, I am all for ending most of it. It seems from your post that you are trying to justify illegal immigration by using the economy as your argument. What did we do before we had millions of illegal in our country? I don't recall our country collapsing without them. Now we have overcrowded schools, jails and hospitals. Removing 20-30 million illegal aliens will alleviate that.
Teens used to fill those jobs,college kids. In my little town there are next to no illegals, thank goodness. In other towns & cities all the fast food places are nearly all run by Mexicans, but here the teens & moms w/ kids in school do it for a few extra bucks, just as they always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:31 PM

15,181 posts, read 10,289,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
I do not support illegal and cheap labor. I do not employ any housekeepers or gardeners though I can't say for sure that contractors I've used do or don't use them. My suspicion is that they do so I suppose I am part of the picture indirectly. Another economic shift occurs when labor costs rise substantially since the burden of paying for the increase goes ultimately to the consumer as in the company example. Not only in agriculture but in construction, landscaping, and the food industry to name a few.

Regarding taxable unemployment vs employment...I am saying that some of the tax breaks (earned income) and other government obligations / burdens shift in form in this scenario.

At very least, the cost to effectively enforce our immigration laws would be substantial.

A question...if the illegals left AZ prior to the enforcement of the laws, why all the hub bub?

Lastly, I work for Medi-Cal on the financial audit side. Most of the billing records I see are for what appear to be legal citizens. They are a huge burden financially on the state of CA none-the-less
If the costs to enforce our current immigration laws would be substantial, how will we enforce the proposed CIR which requires securing the border, biometrics for all illegals, thorough background checks, payment of back taxes (unless they affirm they owe none), and English skills? At least thatís what the proponents of CIR would have us believe.

The Arizona law proves enforcement is indeed effective. We canít have laws that effectively reduce illegal immigration, now can we?

Quote:
In Texas, where the state comptroller estimates illegal immigrants cost hospitals $1.3 billion in 2006, the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston is considering denying cancer care to such immigrants.

Data on health care costs for illegal immigrants are sketchy because hospitals and community health centers don't ask about patients' legal status. In California, a 2004 study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform put the state's annual cost at $1.4 billion. Similar studies in Colorado and Minnesota in 2005 came up with much smaller estimates: $31 million and $17 million, respectively.

Illegal immigrants make up less than 5% of the cost in most states, but closer to 10% in some California counties. In 2000, counties along the Mexican border lost more than $800 million in health care services for which they were not paid; about 25% of that went to care for illegal immigrants, according to a report by the United States/Mexico Border Counties Coalition.
Rising health care costs put focus on illegal immigrants - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration