Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,036,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm with you on those things. Too often I'll see a "landscaping professional" blowing 3 or 4 leaves around while burning gasoline and polluting the area with the noise.

Which leads me to a point: The majority of people whether D or R, are anti-illegal to an extent. Yet two industries that are doing quite well (home repair/renovation & landscaping) are huge employers of illegals. No one seems to push back... it's like if the XYZ company can save me $300, their illegal employees are welcome!

We are such whores for a cheap price.
Agreed! There was a time when the construction industry was mostly Italian Americans in this neck of the woods, but over the past few years, I am seeing only what we can assume are illegals doing the actual labor at construction sites. The only way to root out the problem is to go after the employers. It is the obvious solutuon, but for some rea$on, it does not happen.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you are so right on the money. I used to live in an apartment where I had the window open all of the time due to good ocean side weather. Once every monday morning, I'd have to go shut the window quickly to avoid the gasoline fumes from invading my apartment. those machines should be banned. Illegals would moan and groan about it i'm sure, but at least the public could sleep and not have to breathe all of the settled dirt and gasoline fumes.
The idiots where I live enable this nonsense. Very often, you can see them just holding these things and making noise without even aiming at anything. I must confess that I've contemplated many retaliation techniques including raw eggs and spitballs, but so far I haven't. I'm on the verge though.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,365,548 times
In my business, I repair back-pack and hand blowers.

I can name off some Manufacturers if you'd like:

ECHO,
STIHL,
HUSQUVARNA
REDMAX,
MITSUBITSI
POULAN,
and more...

Go to their website and put in a review.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
In my business, I repair back-pack and hand blowers.

I can name off some Manufacturers if you'd like:

ECHO,
STIHL,
HUSQUVARNA
REDMAX,
MITSUBITSI
POULAN,
and more...

Go to their website and put in a review.
Better watch out..I hear that there are illegals starting leaf blower repair services.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Better watch out..I hear that there are illegals starting leaf blower repair services.
That happen in SoCal and after 19 years I had to close down shop.
But not in Oklahoma. After HB 1804 there's no illegals working around here.

If anyone ever needs help on their lawn tractor..DM me.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
That happen in SoCal and after 19 years I had to close down shop.
But not in Oklahoma. After HB 1804 there's no illegals working around here.
Really? I was sarcastically joking. Since there are no illegals where you are, it must have cut down on your leaf blower repairs, unless of course people in Oklahoma are very ecologically ignorant.

Let's compare a leaf-blower to the individual's carbon emitter of choice, the automobile. A leaf blower accounts for as much carbon dioxide in an hour as a vehicle would in 100 miles. In other words, a leaf blower is environmentally worse than a car—and, if the device reduces work at all, it certainly doesn't spare its human operator the equivalent of a hundred-mile walk.

Then there's the noise. 55 decibels is considered the limit beyond which noise can damage your ears. A leaf blower can generate up to 85 decibels, and can be heard at 55 decibels as far as 50 feet away.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/category?blogid=49&cat=3468 (broken link)

Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Really? I was sarcastically joking. Since there are no illegals where you are, it must have cut down on your leaf blower repairs, unless of course people in Oklahoma are very ecologically ignorant.

Let's compare a leaf-blower to the individual's carbon emitter of choice, the automobile. A leaf blower accounts for as much carbon dioxide in an hour as a vehicle would in 100 miles. In other words, a leaf blower is environmentally worse than a car—and, if the device reduces work at all, it certainly doesn't spare its human operator the equivalent of a hundred-mile walk.

Then there's the noise. 55 decibels is considered the limit beyond which noise can damage your ears. A leaf blower can generate up to 85 decibels, and can be heard at 55 decibels as far as 50 feet away.

The Thin Green Line : appliances and electronics (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/green/category?blogid=49&cat=3468 - broken link)
Back pack blowers are also used(with a tank attachment) for irrigating gardens and spreading insecticide in gardens.

There're much lower here. We might get 3 per month.

Automobiles have smog devices and Cataletic converters,
leaf blowers(2 cycles engines) don't.
The sound comes directly from the cylinder and out the muffler,( which is just a metal box with baffles in it and a spark arrester) with no manifold or pipes to lessen the sound.
I agree that they(2 cycles) are MUCH more invironmentally worse than vehicles.
If they were gone tomorrow it wouldn't bother me.
Some states and cities have leaf blowers outlawed inside the city limits.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,381,440 times
Stupid invention, husband and i hate those darn, annoying pesky blowers. They just blow the stuff, around, something you can do with a broom, that does not blow the leafs around.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Stupid invention, husband and i hate those darn, annoying pesky blowers. They just blow the stuff, around, something you can do with a broom, that does not blow the leafs around.
On some, the fan can be reversed to work as a vaccuum.

Don't worry, before you know it, they'll all be changed to electric instead of gas.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,861,986 times
I could not agree more with the OP.

Two kinds of people use them around here:

Obese white guys who should use a rake and get some much needed exercise and lazy illegal migrants who call me disgusting words in Spanish when I tell them to cut it out. One of my idiot neighbors either sits there with thing going for two hours or hires a local landscaper to let the illegals sit there with three going for an hour.

Either way it sucks. Deport illegals and ship all leafblowers back with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration