U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:40 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times

Advertisements

There's 7-8 illegal supporters on this forum, but I doubt that any of them have the b*lls to come out and say how they benefit from illegal immigration.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
There's 7-8 illegal supporters on this forum, but I doubt that any of them have the b*lls to come out and say how they benefit from illegal immigration.
What they would claim is how much cheaper our goods are from illegal aliens working our jobs which we know is totally false.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What they would claim is how much cheaper our goods are from illegal aliens working our jobs which we know is totally false.
Most businesses that use illegals for profit , never pass the profit on to the public,, so how are we gaining from them?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:04 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Most businesses that use illegals for profit , never pass the profit on to the public,, so how are we gaining from them?
We aren't. What we are gaining is their social costs instead.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:52 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Well - as far as something positive - I have known illegals who either for a sense of adventure or curiousity and to get some money ahead decided to come on over to the USA. They left friends and families behind, didn't really think it was terrible to break USA laws in part because these laws are simply not enforced. The border is very easy to cross - they know there are some border patrol agents they have to watch out for - but once over, there is nothing more to fear, they can go anywhere, take any job and it's all allowed and encouraged by our politicians.

Some had every intention on going home someday - and some do that - there are those who will work for any dime they get here. Some miss their families -it's the money that keeps them here and they've gotten the wrong idea that their kids need the monthly remittances more than they need their parent. They aren't evil - these illegals will stay in touch with their children with a phone call, the children may be in a good enough situation - with grandparents or someone who watches out for them. Overall it's bad whether the intentions are or not - too many children are growing up without parents. Some parents end up forgetting or losing their concern for the family back home, often they end up starting new families here.

Of course there are those who come here and start having children they can use as "shields" to demand their pass around the immigration laws and of course to collect welfare handouts from these children. There isn't any good to be said about them.

You can have some sympathy for those who aren't here to take a dime of taxpayer money and don't use the free health care system, especially if they were just trying to get a little ahead or get over a financial hump back home - they aren't really trying to play the system, they aren't having babies here on our dime. They seem to be a tiny minority however.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I haven't seen anyone on these forums in favor of illegal immigration - but some wag will pipe in and say that supporting amnesty means that one is in favor illegal immigration. I am in favor of securing the border and sending back recent arrivals but the question is what to do with illegals and their families who are well settled here. I wish it was possible to have a discussion where illegals weren't vilified as sub-human-scum-of-the-earth-who-don't-love-their-kids-and-only-have-them-to-leech-off-America.
Pro-illegals may not be in favor of illegal immigration per se; but, they’re fervently supportive of illegal aliens. Can you deny this?

As for rewarding those who managed to remain here for years -- what have they done to earn legalization? Should we also pardon all U.S. citizen thieves and fraudsters if they have managed to evade law enforcement for 5 or more years? Furthermore, given their ability to obtain “quality” fraudulent documents, how will we distinguish the “well-settled” illegals from those who entered last week?

To the OP: I can think of nothing positive. . . only countless negatives.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 AM

894 posts, read 949,630 times
I can't think of any positives either.

I don't hire illegals for anything. The people I hire in my business are all born in the US, legal American citizens and are disabled. I hire only other blind Americans because the work I do requires them to know and understand the needs of the blind (I'm in the web accessibility business -- i.e., helping sighted web site owners make their sites accessible to the blind). I myself am also blind.

I hire a lawn service to take care of my yard. They're all legal Americans too, black guys, white guys, and a few Asians.

I have a woman that comes to my house and goes with me for Dr's appointments, grocery shopping, clothes shopping, and things of that nature. She too is a legal American. She's a retired elderly woman, Black, and Christian. I just love her to death.

I've said this many times before, I have friends of all different ethnicities from countries all over the world (and I seriously do, it's not a joke). I have no problems with folks that come to this country legally but if you break our laws and enter the country illegally, then I have a problem with you.

Illegals cost US taxpayers a lot of money.
They take food stamps they're not entitled to.
They take welfare they're not entitled to.
They take health care they're not entitled to.
Their illegal anchor babies are educated in our schools, they're not entitled to that.
They get home loans they're not entitled to.
They get college scholarships they're not entitled to.
They force our wages to be lower Vs being competitive.
They take jobs away from legal Americans.
They murder, rape, steal, and smuggle drugs. They don't belong here.
They fill up our prisons and cause overcrowding.

Please tell me what in the world makes one think there could be any positives associated with such a group of people as this?

There are hundreds more negatives that far outweigh any single positive (if such a thing as a positive even exists).

Old 08-15-2010, 10:13 AM

14,382 posts, read 7,476,617 times
I thought that if I created a space for the few who seem to be so pro-illegal that they'd jump on the chance to. They seemed to be avoiding this open request for them to give us the reason for their stance. When someone can't openly debate, not where they stand, but why they take that stance then you can only assume their stance has no merit.

So let's turn this around. Have you been negatively affected by illegal aliens on a personal level? Please don't use the generalized reasons.

My story: I went bankrupt and lost my contracting business primarily because I couldn't compete. I was a c-15 flooring contractor here in Cali for nearly 30 years and I had been competing with illegals for most of those years. In the last 10 years it became impossible to be competitive. I couldn't hire competent labor making it impossible to do business. More than 40% of the flooring companies in the South Los Angeles area have gone under. It's out of control and impossible to do business if you are a licensed contractor who is trying to run your business lawfully.

Wages for flooring have stayed the same for 15 years yet supplies have more than doubled in the same span of time. When I started in this buisness a good week for a crew was about $1000 (1980 dollars), now a good week is 1500.00(2006 Dollars). Most guys are choosing to fold up like I did after years of struggle.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:27 AM

894 posts, read 949,630 times
Yes. I've been negatively impacted by an illegal.

This was before I lost my eyesight completely. I was at work in a women's retail clothing store. An illegal alien with a gun came into the store and robbed the store at gunpoint, and raped me. I ended up pregnant with his baby. I'm Mormon and don't believe in killing babies. I was forced to make a choice of having this spawn or aborting it. I chose to abort which is against my faith. As a result, I was excommunicated from the only church I have ever loved.

An illegal alien cost me dearly.

They arrested and charged him, and then deported him. He never spent one day in our prisons for his crimes.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:34 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
Illegal immigrants are great for rich White guys who drive Lamborghinis and live in gated communities. That's why every president since Reagan has done nothing about them.

A healthy level of low income immigrants are needed, but for millionaire politicians to allow 20 million illegal immigrants in is an economic declaration of war on America's poor. With our current economic situation we really need to eliminate legal immigration until the job situation improves.

There are 3 billion people who would move here tomorrow if we allowed it. We have to manage who gets in and who doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or