U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 03:43 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
One positive thing I can think is that they keep the American dream alive. Our country is made up of immigrants. They, like every other nationality, have brought many aspects of their culture that have affected our country in a positive way.
Oh I see, without illegals we would have no Hispanic culture in this country? There are no legal or citizen Hispanics in this country? We may have been a country of immigrants at one time but we aren't a country of illegal immigrants and never have been. We are a nation of Americans today made up of all ethnic groups.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:50 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
I admit that point may be a bit weaker than the one I made about how many children of illegals join the U.S. military.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
I admit that point may be a bit weaker than the one I made about how many children of illegals join the U.S. military.
So what? That doesn't justify their parents coming here illegally.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:00 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
They bring their cultures and tradition to our country. They increase church attendance. This helps many denominations. They contribute to these churches through tithing.

When they mix into the greater community, people experience different cultures. Their children are more tolerant than their parents/grandparents of previous generations as a result.

They do almost all the farm work. Americans don't like to pick the fields. This has been proven for generations.

They have children. Many of these children join in the military and help fight our wars.
So, they increase the dwindling Catholic Church coffers. That may benefit the churches receiving their offerings, but I fail to understand how that benefits the average citizen. How do I, as a non-Catholic, benefit from their attendance? Unless they are also feeding the hungry and helping the needy in their church communities, they would only benefit their parish. In any case, the general population receives no benefit. After all, churches are tax-exempt.

We already have every culture in the world residing in this country. Are illegals bringing something new that others have not? If so, what?

You stated “when they mix into the greater community.” Do you have any data on the prevalence of their assimilation? From my observation, they aren’t actually interested in becoming Americans. It seems to me, they want the benefits of living here, but nothing else.

How are they doing “almost all the farm work” when they account for only 25% of farm workers? Unless something has changed, 25% is not a majority. However, 75% is. Are you suggesting that 25% of the ag workers are performing the majority of the work? Do you have any credible data to substantiate your claim?

Yes, they do have children, and their children are bankrupting this country. I’m sure some of their U.S.-born children are serving in our military. However, I doubt the majority are. Again, please share your data.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:01 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
I lived in the Rio Grande Valley for many years as a teacher. I knew many potential illegals personally whose children went to serve in the military. Generally, their parents were migrant workers.
What's that got to do with posting the facts of what's being said?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Yet you conveniently ignore the rest of that statement.

It isn't only illegals who work the fields, however, you would be hard pressed to find enough Americans willing to pick up the slack if illegals went home.
That's what ag worker temporary visas are FOR isn't it?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:06 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
What's that got to do with posting the facts of what's being said?
This whole thread is based on opinion. Furthermore, what I experienced is fact.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 PM

894 posts, read 949,782 times
Quote:
What "opinion" is this thread based on?

The member that started this thread asked "How have you been negatively impacted by illegal aliens"

Sorry but the OP filed bankruptcy due to illegals. Not an opinion, a fact.
I was robbed and raped at gunpoint by an illegal alien. Not an opinion, a fact.
There were also links to nuns that had been raped and murdered by an illegal alien as well as other crimes committed by illegal aliens. Not opinions, facts!

Now tell me again how this thread is based on opinions?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:17 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
The OP relates to “benefits” of illegal immigration. We can’t think of any. You are the one claiming they benefit this country, but you have offered nothing to substantiate your claim.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM

736 posts, read 409,834 times
I don't agree with it but my dad says we need a mix of ilegal aliens b/c he said 80% of them are hardworking people we need the other 20% he said are here just to mooch of benifits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or