U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
because i'm a nyer. the OP was dealing with an issue that WE HAVE ALWAYS FACED in nyc. when has immigration not changed the face of nyc?

reread the first few words of my initial post:

meaning that i was commenting on this topic as a nyer. this topic is about an issue dealing with ny. i was speaking from that aspect of it, not illegal immigration. i feel like legal immigration is more of a problem dealing with good jobs, wages, etc. than illegal immigration in this city.

i get what you're saying but cancun is nowhere near what daily mexican life is like for millions of mexicans living in mexico.
This is true. However, I have also witnessed the abject poverty of others in Mexico. I have also seen similar poverty here in the US. Where shall we send our poor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Thanks...We love Cancun too...and Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Beautiful, and wonderful happy people!
Yes, breathtaking! Have you taken any of the boat rides down to the Isla Mujeres? Itís a must. Open bar, live band, dancing, and then a magnificent show on the island with a fantastic buffet. The first time I went, it was my birthday gift to my mother. I tricked her and told her I hadnít had a chance to get her anything other than a card. When she opened the card and saw the plane tickets she screamed. My mother has always had a youthful appearance, so when we took the boat ride lots of young guys were asking her to dance. Iím glad I videotaped it. She had a ball.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,383,305 times
That is so awesome. What a great son you are! No we haven't been to Isla Mujeres but have gone to Cozumel from Playa del Carmen. We'll have to check it out. We haven't been to Cancun for a couple years cuz we started going to Playa but I think we're going to do a week in each place this year. Love it!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
thats not a serious question.
Serious question, why are we US tax payers responsible for the plight of poor Mexicans? If I have to adopt them, can I name them too? Isn't that fair?

Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
since you've said that you've seen northern mexico in person, you should be able to understand why there are a lot of ppl that want to leave.
So are you saying that the entire part of northern Mexico should simply move into the USA?

And just so we're not racist for only Mexicans, all poor people in every country in the world must be allowed to move to the USA for their taxpayer provided nicer life?

There are people much much poorer than northern Mexicans. That means all of Ethiopia, all of Somalia, all of Haiti, much of Indonesia - all must have unlimited rights to move to the USA and the taxpayers here must support all of them.

There are over 2 billion impoverished people throughout the world - much much poorer than those of Mexico - and we all know Mexico is second only to the USA in obesity rates - because Mexico is not an especially poor country.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM

2,671 posts, read 2,705,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
By sense of community I would guess you mean "their" community?

Mexicans love me. I've never, ever had a problem with Mexicans. They're always friendly to me, and always accepting. I love them! There have been many Mexican families move into my neighborhood, and the community has greatly improved with their presence. They are family oriented, and they keep an eagle eye on their children. They are never running amuck throughout the neighborhood.

My mom sold a dilapadated old house to one family we knew. The man of the house was a cement finisher and they had five children. He completely rebuilt the house from ground up. It took him years, as he paid for things as he went. The house is like brand new. Three of his kids area now grown. I no longer live next door, but this family, as with the other Mexicans who live in my neighborhood, keep their houses and yards like Beaver Cleaver.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Mexicans love me. I've never, ever had a problem with Mexicans. They're always friendly to me, and always accepting. I love them! There have been many Mexican families move into my neighborhood, and the community has greatly improved with their presence. They are family oriented, and they keep an eagle eye on their children. They are never running amuck throughout the neighborhood.

My mom sold a dilapadated old house to one family we knew. The man of the house was a cement finisher and they had five children. He completely rebuilt the house from ground up. It took him years, as he paid for things as he went. The house is like brand new. Three of his kids area now grown. I no longer live next door, but this family, as with the other Mexicans who live in my neighborhood, keep their houses and yards like Beaver Cleaver.

Where do you live, Guadalajara? You DID say "Mexicans" so you can't mean Americans, right?

That's nice for you but others have not had the same experience where illegals are concerned (they're the ones in USA that ARE still "Mexicans" btw).

Old 08-19-2010, 10:55 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

Your neighborhood may not be what a typical unassimilated Mexican one looks like whether they be legal or illegal. I have seen many predominantly Mexican neighborhoods that look like Tijuana.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:27 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
are you serious with this garbage?
mexican americans are fine, but they do not have a superior work ethic?

wow.

this is such tripe.

i think i am thouroughly done and disgusted with this thread. maybe even the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The “guy” is a female.

Why did you assume we were discussing legal Mexican immigrants in the Illegal Immigration Forum? Mexican-Americans are fine, but they do not have a superior work ethic.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
are you serious with this garbage?
mexican americans are fine, but they do not have a superior work ethic?

wow.

this is such tripe.

i think i am thouroughly done and disgusted with this thread. maybe even the board.
My post is garbage? Would you care to expound? Arenít we constantly told that Mexicans are hard workers, and Americans are lazy? Why not provide evidence to refute me, rather than this inane melodrama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration