U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:02 PM

14 posts, read 15,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
first off, not all mexicans are illegal immigrants which is what one would get from your post, especially considering that the post you're responding to (my post) said nothing about ILLEGAL immigrants at all.

second, you should focus your attention on businesses that continue to support the status quo, businesses that exploit illegal immigrants to maintain their plans to maximize profits by having cheap labor.

third, you should remember what you saw in mexico. you can answer your own question. some places are not as well off as the u.s.

there are immigrants from all over, even countries that aren't doing nearly as bad as mexico is, economically speaking, and there are tons of immigrants from those countries in THIS country. why is that? why can't THEY survive at home?

since you are so concerned about money, how do you feel about increasing minimum wage? how do you feel about unions which would fight for worker's rights and hopefully fight for an increase in wages across the board for the average worker being UNDERPAID in this country?

how do you feel about healthcare? sick days in the u.s.?

since you've said that you've seen northern mexico in person, you should be able to understand why there are a lot of ppl that want to leave.

since you've said that you've been to a country where english wasn't the spoken language, you should be able to understand what kind of mindset it would take to leave everything you've ever known behind in order to start a new life someplace else, someplace that probably isn't welcoming, someplace where the cultural difference will be hard to bear and someplace where it will be hard to get on your feet.

i'm sure you felt lost (if you didn't have a guide) with your english to ____ dictionary.

i'm sure that you could understand how somebody who has nothing's first instinct might not be to learn english but to do what they can to EAT.

i'm sure that could understand that assimilation isn't the highest thing on the list when you have a community that is more likely to accept you and to help you get on your feet with the added bonus of speaking the same language you currently speak.

You make no sense at all..."you should be able to understand what kind of mindset it would take to leave everything you've ever known behind in order to start a new life someplace else, someplace that probably isn't welcoming, someplace where the cultural difference will be hard to bear and someplace where it will be hard to get on your feet."...Illegals crossing the border know exactly where they are going to settle. For the most part are relatives who pay the "coyotes" to smuggle them into the U.S.. They even know where are they going to work"....as for the hard to bear cultural differences.....what are you talking about? when they have spanish TV (Telemundo, Univision, Galavision, Telefutura, etc) spanish radio stations, spanish services (for espanol oprima 2), government paid interpreters, ESL teachers...etc, etc, etc.

Once they settle here they soon learn how to bleed the system: Tax fraud, using anchor babies as a mean to get welfare. They CHEAT. Women apply for welfare and public assistance claiming they are single mothers and have no income, when in reality they are married and living with their husbands.

I'm sure that there are people from other countries illegally in the U.S. doing the same thing, but mexican are by far the majority.

Last edited by myopinion2010; 08-20-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:35 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,078,551 times
the burden of proof to show that mexicans are a certain way lays with you. you make the ridiculous statement about a whole group of people. thats like saying blacks lack a strong work ethic. its ridiculous.

YOU need to show how they lack that effort, AND prove how it is generalizable to the whole population. which you simply cant.

i really thought you were smarter than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My post is garbage? Would you care to expound? Arenít we constantly told that Mexicans are hard workers, and Americans are lazy? Why not provide evidence to refute me, rather than this inane melodrama?

Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the burden of proof to show that mexicans are a certain way lays with you. you make the ridiculous statement about a whole group of people. thats like saying blacks lack a strong work ethic. its ridiculous.

YOU need to show how they lack that effort, AND prove how it is generalizable to the whole population. which you simply cant.

What was stated is that Mexicans have a "superior" work ethic. I don't think that any ethnic group or race is any more superior in that way than another. I believe the reply to that remark was to clarify that rather than suggesting that Mexicans lack work ethic altogether.

You yourself just admitted that one shouldn't generalize about a whole group whether it be about good character or bad character. Yet that is what the initial post implied that Mexicans have a "superior" work ethic.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM

so its equal? everyone works hard? is that what was trying to be said? if so, someone needs to use their words better.
when something is not superior, it is usually inferior (unless otherwise stated).
and based on postings here that constantly berate certain groups, claiming they are arrogant, lazy, breeders, and bla bla bla, it wouldnt suprise me to see that posters think mexicans and their work ethic are inferior -while other groups (like filipinos) are the belle of the ball.

people keep sticking their proverbial/cyber foot in their mouth.

its ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What was stated is that Mexicans have a "superior" work ethic. I don't think that any ethnic group or race is any more superior in that way than another. I believe the reply to that remark was to clarify that rather than suggesting that Mexicans lack work ethic altogether.

You yourself just admitted that one shouldn't generalize about a whole group whether it be about good character or bad character. Yet that is what the initial post implied that Mexicans have a "superior" work ethic.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
so its equal? everyone works hard? is that what was trying to be said? if so, someone needs to use their words better.
when something is not superior, it is usually inferior (unless otherwise stated).
and based on postings here that constantly berate certain groups, claiming they are arrogant, lazy, breeders, and bla bla bla, it wouldnt suprise me to see that posters think mexicans and their work ethic are inferior -while other groups (like filipinos) are the belle of the ball.

its ridiculous.
The initial poster claimed that Mexicans had a superior work ethic. That simply is not true because it is a generalization of an entire group. It is no more true that me saying that whites have a superior work ethic. Some do and some don't which is the same case with Mexicans or anyone else.

Stating that everyone within a certain group are not superior workers does not mean they must be inferior as group as whole. Me thinks thou protests too much.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM

what about stating a specific group is arrogant and has a sense of entitlement?

Quote:
The initial poster claimed that Mexicans had a superior work ethic. That simply is not true because it is a generalization of an entire group. It is no more true that me saying that whites have a superior work ethic. Some do and some don't which is the same case with Mexicans or anyone else.

Stating that everyone within a certain group are not superior workers does not mean they must be inferior as group as whole. Me thinks thou protests too much.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:30 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,824,744 times
Quote:

Quote:

Thank you! Thatís EXACTLY the point I was trying to make.

Quote:

Quote:

its ridiculous.
Had my intentions been to denigrate Mexicans, I would have done so succinctly. Do you consider the words superior and inferior to be synonymous? If not, how on earth did you infer that by stating Mexicans do not have a superior work ethic I implied they are inferior?

If I tell you that I do not believe I am superior to you, would that indicate I believe I am inferior? Or, would you consider us equal? Think about it? Itís not exactly brain surgery.

All I can do is shake my head in utter disbelief.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:01 PM

660 posts, read 1,189,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Why is it that some people think we must allow a mosque to be built at the 911 site because not to do so would be breaking the law, but they are perfectly fine with keeping illegals in the country, which IS breaking the law?
Good point. Seems the "rules" change to suit certain folks agendas.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:09 PM

660 posts, read 1,189,826 times
Quote:

its ridiculous.
No, what is ridiculous is when the same tired lines are constantly repeated by those who are Pro-Illegal for why Illegals are good for America. It's constantly said by those who are "Pro" that: "they do the jobs Americans won't do" as an excuse for law breaking. And by law breaking I mean coming into this country illegally, stealing people's identities to get a job, apartment and anything that requires an SSN for a Government handout.

It has nothing to do with whether or not someone has a good work ethic at all, no matter who the minority is!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
what about stating a specific group is arrogant and has a sense of entitlement?

Illegals do fit that bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration