U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times

Advertisements

Having or not having a superior work ethic (which is ridiculous to state for ANY nationality btw) has NOUGHT to do with their immigration status.

I don't care if they're freakin' Mother Teresa.....if they're illegal they shouldn't be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Something needs to be done about this. That is absolutely correct.

[/indent]
There is one flaw with your statement. Those who arrive legally have a lot more money than those who don't. To expect those with money and those who were practically starving to death assimilate at the same pace is rather unreasonable.

I taught bilingual education in the Rio Grande Valley for many years. The second generation knows Spanish, but they speak English first. There are exceptions, but for the vast majority this is the case. Furthermore, bilingual is the result of studies that show teaching children in their native language first results in quicker foreign language development. It takes the average person 7 years to really know how to speak a language.

Poorer people tend to be more religious. Mexicans tend to be Catholic. Of course they have more children. It's what their religion teaches them is the right thing to do.

As for Mexicans not trying to fit in, I have observed in the Valley that it often times has to do with shame. We underestimate how intimidated many Mexican Americans are of those that are educated.

I can't speak for California as I have only lived there for 15 months of my life. In Texas, I disagree with Mexicans only trying to teach their children Spanish. In both areas I have taught, which include the Rio Grande Valley and Houston, Mexican parents are always at school when you call and generally demand you teach their children in English. It is the educators selling the parents on bilingual education using studies over the years causing many children to participate in this program.

Overall, I think it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison due to the fact that either you have to have a lot of money or a work sponsor in order to come here legally.
I disagree. Having been in Houston for going on two years now, it is absolutely apparent that they do not assimilate nor speak English in public. Just visited a large department store where ALL the merchandise was turned to read the Spanish description of the products, and it was difficult for me to find anyone there who spoke English to help me find what I was looking for. Needless to say I left the store empty handed. This is just ONE example of many, many same scenarios in Houston.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,936,438 times
Hey,
A town in TEXAS (El Cenizo) has SPANISH as the official language.
Let some US town try making ENGLISH the official language and see the uproar.
I think Spanish is a beautiful language. I have many books to learn it. I am horrible with foreign languages, but darn, if I were going to steal jobs and services away from a foreign country, I would try as much as possible to pass as a native. I would learn the language as quickly as I could. I would not take over a small town and declare it mine.

The nerve of these people!

In Canada if they find an illegal working they remove him. If a person goes to a medical facility and does not have one of their uncopyable id cards, he gets fixed up and shipped out. They do not tolerate these freeloaders. Well, we give their prolific offspring a free education and it is illegal here to ask for citizenship status in medical facilities.

What in hell is wrong with us?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I disagree. Having been in Houston for going on two years now, it is absolutely apparent that they do not assimilate nor speak English in public. Just visited a large department store where ALL the merchandise was turned to read the Spanish description of the products, and it was difficult for me to find anyone there who spoke English to help me find what I was looking for. Needless to say I left the store empty handed. This is just ONE example of many, many same scenarios in Houston.
Same thing here in So. Calif.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM

660 posts, read 1,188,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I would leave empty handed too. Was this a WalMart by chance? I've been in at least two of them in Texas where all the overhead signs were in Spanish. I was really surprised by that because at least in the Midwest the stores have both English/Spanish.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
This parade is in NYC not Mexico City.

YouTube - MEXICAN PARADE NYC 2009 # 13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration