Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:03 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
have you ever seen northern mexico in person? just curious...
have you ever been to a country where english wasn't the spoken language?

i'll answer your post after you answer these two questions.
Yes and yes. I await your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
“Very nice people” don’t lie, cheat, and steal to attain goals. If they are so hardworking and resourceful, why can’t they survive at home? And, please don’t tell me there are no opportunities in Mexico. There are. However, they can’t subsidize their incomes by abusing taxpayers.
first off, not all mexicans are illegal immigrants which is what one would get from your post, especially considering that the post you're responding to (my post) said nothing about ILLEGAL immigrants at all.

second, you should focus your attention on businesses that continue to support the status quo, businesses that exploit illegal immigrants to maintain their plans to maximize profits by having cheap labor.

third, you should remember what you saw in mexico. you can answer your own question. some places are not as well off as the u.s.

there are immigrants from all over, even countries that aren't doing nearly as bad as mexico is, economically speaking, and there are tons of immigrants from those countries in THIS country. why is that? why can't THEY survive at home?

since you are so concerned about money, how do you feel about increasing minimum wage? how do you feel about unions which would fight for worker's rights and hopefully fight for an increase in wages across the board for the average worker being UNDERPAID in this country?

how do you feel about healthcare? sick days in the u.s.?

since you've said that you've seen northern mexico in person, you should be able to understand why there are a lot of ppl that want to leave.

since you've said that you've been to a country where english wasn't the spoken language, you should be able to understand what kind of mindset it would take to leave everything you've ever known behind in order to start a new life someplace else, someplace that probably isn't welcoming, someplace where the cultural difference will be hard to bear and someplace where it will be hard to get on your feet.

i'm sure you felt lost (if you didn't have a guide) with your english to ____ dictionary.

i'm sure that you could understand how somebody who has nothing's first instinct might not be to learn english but to do what they can to EAT.

i'm sure that could understand that assimilation isn't the highest thing on the list when you have a community that is more likely to accept you and to help you get on your feet with the added bonus of speaking the same language you currently speak.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
so now all mexicans are illegal immigrants?

out of curiosity, do you own any businesses?
(and your post above this one)

reading comprehension needed - you DO realise you're in the ILLEGAL immigration forum, right? I'm guessing that's WHY we're discussing ILLEGAL immigration..........

Old 08-18-2010, 03:18 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
please don't take my post out of context. i didn't mention illegal immigration in my initial post and the guy (seemingly) posted about illegal immigrants in response to it. the title of the forum has nothing to do with my initial post.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:22 PM

308 posts, read 445,747 times
Quote:
please don't take my post out of context. i didn't mention illegal immigration in my initial post and the guy (seemingly) posted about illegal immigrants in response to it. the title of the forum has nothing to do with my initial post.
If your post was meant to give praise to immigrants that come here legally, and legally work their tails off for a better life, I can aggree with you there.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:28 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
so now all mexicans are illegal immigrants?

out of curiosity, do you own any businesses?
If they don't have a work Visa and are MEXICAN then yes, they are an Illegal. If they are Hispanic and a US Citizen then they are AMERICAN.

Mexican means they are a nationalized citizen of Mexico, or a tourist/worker with a Visa.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:30 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
first off, not all mexicans are illegal immigrants which is what one would get from your post, especially considering that the post you're responding to (my post) said nothing about ILLEGAL immigrants at all.

second, you should focus your attention on businesses that continue to support the status quo, businesses that exploit illegal immigrants to maintain their plans to maximize profits by having cheap labor.

third, you should remember what you saw in mexico. you can answer your own question. some places are not as well off as the u.s.

there are immigrants from all over, even countries that aren't doing nearly as bad as mexico is, economically speaking, and there are tons of immigrants from those countries in THIS country. why is that? why can't THEY survive at home?

since you are so concerned about money, how do you feel about increasing minimum wage? how do you feel about unions which would fight for worker's rights and hopefully fight for an increase in wages across the board for the average worker being UNDERPAID in this country?

since you've said that you've seen northern mexico in person, you should be able to understand why there are a lot of ppl that want to leave.

since you've said that you've been to a country where english wasn't the spoken language, you should be able to understand what kind of mindset it would take to leave everything you've ever known behind in order to start a new life someplace else, someplace that probably isn't welcoming, someplace where the cultural difference will be hard to bear and someplace where it will be hard to get on your feet.

i'm sure you felt lost (if you didn't have a guide) with your english to ____ dictionary.

i'm sure that you could understand how somebody who has nothing's first instinct might not be to learn english but to do what they can to EAT.

i'm sure that could understand that assimilation isn't the highest thing on the list when you have a community that is more likely to accept you and to help you get on your feet with the added bonus of speaking the same language you currently speak.
To eat? Does that include theft and trespassing? My 1st suggestion to them is to beat the #$%%$ out of their Parents for having them and not being able to keep them fed. So long as a large part of this new population keeps up this parasitic behavior there will be no shift in how the populace views them.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:56 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
By sense of community I would guess you mean "their" community?

Not when I said it but from experience now that you mention it........

Some of the people I work with from Mexico refer to those that "help themselves" to property of others as "Old Country".

Translation (according to those that say that):

They do what they feel they need to in order to obtain things, whether needed or not (there's a lot of hoarding going on) without regard to if it is right or wrong.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:

I mentioned Mexicans because you referenced them. Yes, I am quite aware of the fact that we have other nationalities living in this country illegally. I oppose all.

Perhaps you don’t recall stating the following. . .

Quote:
stop picking on mexicans. the overwhelming majority that come over here are very nice ppl with goals and they do what they need to to achieve those goals.
I would be more than happy to focus my attention on illegal employers, if they could be identified. Do you know any?

There are poor people in every country, including the US. Why are we obligated to provide a better life for illegal aliens?

Minimum wage, workers’ rights, healthcare, sick pay, etc. are topics for another forum. We are discussing illegal immigration. However, if illegals are lacking these benefits in their countries, fleeing here will not improve conditions at home. They should remain in their countries and fight for rights. That’s what U.S. citizens have had to do.

It can’t be too unbearable here, considering we have 12-30 million illegals. If they speak Spanish they will have no problem, because everything is available to them in their native language. Some Spanish-speaking illegals have been here for 20 years without uttering one word in English. Unlike other illegals, who must either sink or swim.

There’s a HUGE difference between visiting a country as a tourist, and making a conscious decision to live there illegally. It SHOULD be hard for those who choose to ignore our laws. Unfortunately, it isn’t. If I decided to relocate to a foreign country, I would not expect the host country to accommodate me by providing everything in English. I would expect to learn the language, and would prepare in advance.

I would expect a person who has lived here for 10, 15, or 20 years to at least have rudimentary English skills. At least they should know how to say hello, please, and thank you.

You are absolutely right. There is no incentive to assimilate or learn English as long as they are coddled.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:

The “guy” is a female.

Why did you assume we were discussing legal Mexican immigrants in the Illegal Immigration Forum? Mexican-Americans are fine, but they do not have a superior work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration