U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 05:33 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Charms View Post
I'm sorry I just had to reply to this. Yes, let's assume these students are illegal just for the simple fact that they are of Mexican descent. While your at it, lets also assume that every single person in the USA of south American descent or anyone who doesn't look white is also illegal. How do you know for sure these students are illegal? Have you seen their birth certificates - no you haven't. So you are only judging their American citizenship based on their ethnicity.

So you think hate crimes are funny?
How is burning a Mexican flag a hate crime? Is it also a hate crime when Hispanic protestors burn the American flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 AM

2,477 posts, read 2,202,665 times
Kick'em out.
If your illegal......OUT!

It really is not as difficult as the Gov. makes it seem...really

Old 08-22-2010, 07:53 AM

5 posts, read 8,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
Where on Earth did I say I thought hate crimes were funny? I may be 100% blind but that doesn't mean I'm stupid and am unaware of what I've written.

Perhaps you should read back through what I have said in this thread, since you seem to have a problem understanding what was actually written. Mind you, it also isn't polite to put words in someone else's mouth.

The only thing I said was I found my neighbor's comments funny. There are NO laws in THIS country against burning a mexican flag. You want to scream "hate crime" then go to mexico and light their flag on fire because that's the ONLY place burning the mexican flag is illegal.

In case you didn't happen to notice, this is the USA and our Flag is the American Flag -- NOT the mexican flag!
Burning a Mexican flag on their Independence day, just screams hate. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So it's only a "hate crime" if it's a Mexican flag that's destroyed but it was okay for Mexicans to trample an American flag? Strange logic there.......
Please show me where in my post I stated the above in bold Go ahead, I'll wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
No one has said that everyone that is here that isn't white is illegal. Exaggerating to make a point loses any respect from me.

And how come it doesn't seem to bother you that "they" just walked up and yanked that guy's American Flag out of his hand and throw it to the ground? And why are you not concerned with the shouting of fight bating slogans that are obviously Anti-American after the flag was ripped out of that guy's hands?

Instead you choose to concentrate of the use of the word "Illegal". Pitiful.

Just admit it, white illegals go off unnoticed and "blend" into society,without anyone bating an eye. Most Americans assume just because you look Mexican you are illegal. Even though there could be an Italian next door leeching off our welfare system who overstayed their visa.

It does bother me, that is our nations flag. And I love that flag to death. And what they did was disrespectful. But why would the guy wave an American flag in their faces assuming that those other students were illegal and were proud of their Mexican heritage? It seems like he was just looking for a reaction, if you ask me. So someone could get the footage and continue to paint a people with a certain background with a broad brush.You don't see Americans waving American flags through Chinatowns or Little Italy's. In fact no one has a problem with sections of towns being called Little Italy or whatever. Sorry but I know racism when I see it.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 AM

894 posts, read 949,993 times
Quote:
Burning a Mexican flag on their Independence day, just screams hate. Does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.
Did I say "I" was doing that? No. I didn't, did I? I said my neighbor was going to do that on OUR Independence Day (July 4). BTW, my neighbor that's going to do it, is Mexican. He was born here and his parents came here legally. He served this country as a VET and he's a retired Policeman.

Illegals are ILLEGAL. They need to go back to where they came from. As long as they're here mooching off US taxpayers, burning our Flag, disrespecting our Flag, demanding FREE food, FREE housing, FREE medical care, FREE education, and STEALING jobs from legal Americans, then don't expect too many legal US citizens to be happy about it.

Burning their flag on ANY of their holidays is NOT A HATE CRIME. It's only a HATE CRIME if someone were to speak hate speech, racial epitaphs, or to use physical violence AGAINST an illegal. Just burning their flag is not a crime, no matter which way the illegal alien apologists try to spin it.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,330,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Not a good analogy. For one thing how is the American flag offensive on Cinco De Mayo? The U.S. wasn't involved in any conflicts with Mexico on that date. It is nothing to us at all historically. The American flag being flown or worn on that date is being flaunted in enemy terrority? Wow!
My example was not intended to go that deep into the international relations between Mexico and the US or the origin of Cinco de Mayo. So I say it is perhaps a perfect analogy.

Any scenario where one extreme is on display and / or gathering and where another extreme comes to show their "colors" would fit into this example. Blacks crashing a KKK party. Jews coming to a skin head rally. A Charger fan in the Raider Nation. A Crip at a Blood party. A French poodle puppy in a pack of pit bulls. All are examples of scenarios where there will likely be conflict and that conflict may be violent.

Those kids carrying the American flag probably knew that their act, perfectly legal in the spirit of free speech, would likely cause a violent reaction.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman61 View Post
How far do you think you would get in Mexico with a "peaceful demonstration" waving the American flag. I can guarantee that as soon as someone knocked the Mexican flag to the ground the police watching (if they hadn't broken it up already) would have opened fire on the person knocking down that flag before i was fully on the ground. Legal or illegal - if you don't love my country get the f*** out!
That's exactly why it's way better to be here than there. I have been told that I am an illegal alien sympathizer because of my views. Anyone who says that is not seeing the point I am trying to make. I am a proponent of free speech. It is the very thing that separates us from much of the world. I am also in favor of controlling / eliminating illegal immigration. I also understand the frustration many US citizens, including myself, feel when discussing this topic.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
My neighbor is a retired cop, and a VET and he's sick to death of all of this mexican flag waiving crap and the disrespect they're showing our flag. So, he bought a huge mexican flag off ebay and plans to set it on fire in his front yard on July 4th.

It cracked me up when he told me what he was going to do.
It's one thing to vent and certainly this guy's right to burn the Mex flag but it seems unproductive. What good will that do? People. Start flying American flags from your cars and homes and businesses. That seems like it would be a better way to show your national pride. I fly one fairly regularly from my home and have been doing so for many years now and I didn't need the latest immigration frenzy to do so.

Like it or not, it is a person's right to fly any flag they want.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry I just had to reply to this. Yes, let's assume these students are illegal just for the simple fact that they are of Mexican descent. While your at it, lets also assume that every single person in the USA of south American descent or anyone who doesn't look white is also illegal. How do you know for sure these students are illegal? Have you seen their birth certificates - no you haven't. So you are only judging their American citizenship based on their ethnicity.

So you think hate crimes are funny?
Careful Angel. If you don't jump on the anger bandwagon, you might be labelled a sympathizer regardless of the merit of your opinions.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Seeing these kids, a relatively small sample of latinos, as the representation of all the "ungrateful" illegals demanding free goods and services, is about as accurate as seeing the Taliban as representative of all Muslims in the world.

Simply ridiculous. It is an insult to all the hard working and appreciative people of all races, creeds and religions that make the US home.

Now before you start bombarding this thread with more of the frustration and anger relating to this subject (like debating the legality of burning flags etc.), start using more logic and less emotion. More long term solutions are likely that way.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,207,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Careful Angel. If you don't jump on the anger bandwagon, you might be labelled a sympathizer regardless of the merit of your opinions.
Too late. she labeled herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration