U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:09 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Seeing these kids, a relatively small sample of latinos, as the representation of all the "ungrateful" illegals demanding free goods and services, is about as accurate as seeing the Taliban as representative of all Muslims in the world.

Simply ridiculous. It is an insult to all the hard working and appreciative people of all races, creeds and religions that make the US home.

Now before you start bombarding this thread with more of the frustration and anger relating to this subject (like debating the legality of burning flags etc.), start using more logic and less emotion. More long term solutions are likely that way.
I would say that most of the emotion is on the pro side. Misplaced compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I would say that most of the emotion is on the pro side. Misplaced compassion.
Let’s not forget desperation, since many of these “compassionate” folks actually profit from illegal immigration, or have family or friends who are illegal. Of course some posters are illegal themselves.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Charms View Post
Just admit it, white illegals go off unnoticed and "blend" into society,without anyone bating an eye. Most Americans assume just because you look Mexican you are illegal. Even though there could be an Italian next door leeching off our welfare system who overstayed their visa.
Why should I admit something I don't agree with. If someone is here illegally, regardless of their skin color, then I think it's wrong and their breaking the law. You obviously, based on your last few posts, have a problem with skin color and that's your own issue, not mine.

Quote:
In fact no one has a problem with sections of towns being called Little Italy or whatever. Sorry but I know racism when I see it.
What does named sections of towns separated by a certain ethnicity have to do with hatred of an American Flag? Racism? Your the one who has the skin color issue, which seems racist to me.

Seems like you're not able to make your point at all, whatever it is.

Last edited by ladysovereign; 08-23-2010 at 09:01 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM

660 posts, read 1,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Let’s not forget desperation, since many of these “compassionate” folks actually profit from illegal immigration, or have family or friends who are illegal. Of course some posters are illegal themselves.
Those are things I really believe to be true!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:51 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times
I don't understand why people trashing the American flag, insulting American citizens, then demanding respect, don't realize this is not the way to garner support for their cause. The more they display this attitude, the more people turn against them. Many people have said they hadn't thought much one way or another, about illegal immigration, until they watched the protest marches a few years ago, and saw the blatant disrespect for this country. That woke a lot of them up, and turned them firmly against illegal immigrants.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:30 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,683 times
<< How do you know for sure these students are illegal? Have you seen their birth certificates - no you haven't. So you are only judging their American citizenship based on their ethnicity.>>

With the disrespect shown this country, and it's flag, we can only assume they're illegal aliens. Surely no legal resident, or citizen, would act in this manor. Their citizenship is not being judged based on their ethnicity, it's being judged based on their actions. If someone of Hispanic heritage had stepped forward, and berated those who were showing disrespect for this country, I'd say "There is a patriotic American citizen."

Old 08-31-2010, 09:10 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,329,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<< How do you know for sure these students are illegal? Have you seen their birth certificates - no you haven't. So you are only judging their American citizenship based on their ethnicity.>>

With the disrespect shown this country, and it's flag, we can only assume they're illegal aliens. Surely no legal resident, or citizen, would act in this manor. Their citizenship is not being judged based on their ethnicity, it's being judged based on their actions. If someone of Hispanic heritage had stepped forward, and berated those who were showing disrespect for this country, I'd say "There is a patriotic American citizen."
This is perilous territory. I remember a time not so long ago that an individual's patriotism was questioned if they didn't asolutely get in line with the Bush Administration's push for "getting those rat bastards" ( a quote from a NYC fireman) that took down the towers or if they looked upon Operation Iraqi Freedom with suspicion. Remember all the "evil ones will win" jargon and the WMDs?

"I pledge allegiance..." is one thing but blind allegiance, or super charged emotional responses, are quite another. To be able to question without fear of repercussion is essentially what separates us from the rest of the world. While I understand, and share, many of the frustrations with the state of immigration in the USA, I still can't help but wonder if a whole bunch of these posters are missing some of the point(s) here especially emphasized by the broad assumptions of who was involved and why they did what they did, the biblical quotes, the "not in my town" rhetoric and the sort of lynch mob mentality.

This video seemed to be a transparent effort by someone to incite anger over a volatile issue. Really a cheap and easy thing to do. And, in that sense, it appears to have worked.

What I saw was some young kids being unruly and mugging for the camera. Impetuous youth for sure. But in fairness, I also saw stupidity in the American flag wavers not unlike a pasty white guy like me going to Compton and yelling the "N" word. My American right? Absolutely! But smart? Absolutely not!

That being said, there are many better ways to start a more productive discussion about any subject than strating by fanning the flames so-to-speak.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,625,614 times
This brought tears to my eyes....so disturbing. If the guys in the truck demonstrate what America is then I wouldn't want to be American--They were instigating and exchanging demeaning and explicit remarks to those young kids. Whatever the man in the jeep stated it was so powerfully negative that it drove the young Mexican student to knock down the American flag. He is human and was responding out of anger to the insult. Just as the guys in the truck are human and responded to the insult of the mexican knocking down the flag....Violence is surely not the answer. Never will get anyone anywhere.

It seems like Mexicans are the new Blacks....This country was built by immigrants and it has always had an open door policy for ignorance, er immigrants.

I believe in Immigration reform and allowing the Mexicans to become citizens if they have no priors against them.

But those young men in the truck also have roots that don't derive here as well, So all of us reading these threads can say that America is our home now but if you look at your history it wasn't at one time or another.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,944,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
This brought tears to my eyes....so disturbing. If the guys in the truck demonstrate what America is then I wouldn't want to be American--They were instigating and exchanging demeaning and explicit remarks to those young kids. Whatever the man in the jeep stated it was so powerfully negative that it drove the young Mexican student to knock down the American flag. He is human and was responding out of anger to the insult. Just as the guys in the truck are human and responded to the insult of the mexican knocking down the flag....Violence is surely not the answer. Never will get anyone anywhere.

It seems like Mexicans are the new Blacks....This country was built by immigrants and it has always had an open door policy for ignorance, er immigrants.

I believe in Immigration reform and allowing the Mexicans to become citizens if they have no priors against them.

But those young men in the truck also have roots that don't derive here as well, So all of us reading these threads can say that America is our home now but if you look at your history it wasn't at one time or another.

WOW - what a spin - even though you couldn't HEAR what was said, you know this............

unfrigginbelievable............

Old 08-31-2010, 04:57 PM

2,106 posts, read 2,625,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
WOW - what a spin - even though you couldn't HEAR what was said, you know this............

unfrigginbelievable............
The 3 women were responding to truckers remarks, then the young Mexican stepped in and knocked down the flag. Surely the guys in the trucks were not saying Good day mate why don't you join us for a nice Sunday brunch on this beautiful day. It was very apparent whatever was stated invoked that passion in the 3 young ladies and catapulted the young man to come over to knock down the flag. I don't condone that. But can understand the anger behind.

The men in the truck ar on opposing views with the Mexican youngsters and came to the protest voluntarily . They knew when coming that they wouldn't be well received and invited over for empemeadas or enchiladas for dinner...

This is so obvious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration