U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 AM

27 posts, read 12,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did I mention the incident did NOT happen in the South and apparently the attackers weren't tea party members?

"Recorded by a store's surveillance camera, the assault was the first of 11 suspected anti-Hispanic bias attacks in a Staten Island neighborhood, re-igniting years-old tensions between blacks and Hispanics in New York City's most remote borough."

My Way News - Attacks against Mexicans inflame tensions in NYC

See, I'm thinking this is not really a racial issue at all but is an issue of illegals and dwindling jobs. The high unemployment rate is in the black community now. You promise to put millions of poor illegal people (regardless of where they are from) on a path to citizenship and they aren't going to settle for the "jobs Americans won't do" because once they become citizens they'll be competing for some blue collar jobs along with blue collar blacks and whites. And they won't supplement the workforce either because if they become citizens they'll be looking for and entitled to the same wages as native Americans, so someone will have to go, at the workplace. It just happens that a large percentage of blacks are out of work now.

"The unemployment rate for Blacks ages 16 and older inched up slightly last month to 15.6 percent, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, from 15.4 percent in June and 15.5 percent in May. The jobless rate represents the percentage of the working-age population that's unemployed."

1 in Every 4 Blacks Underemployed, More Black Women Jobless - DiversityInc.com (http://diversityinc.com/article/7974/1-in-Every-4-Blacks-Underemployed-More-Black-Women-Jobless/ - broken link)

I'd also like to add that another thing that will compound the unemployment problem is ending the wars overseas but this will impact both blue and white collar unemployment. It won't just be soldiers coming home but it will be a lot of civilian military support personnel both home and abroad that will be out of work in addition to government contractor employees both home and abroad. I suspect this is the secret reason (unemployment) no one is really in too big of a hurry to end the wars. I'm just throwing this part in because I could see tensions escalate and again, I think it all has to do with unemployment.

The "immigration reform" issue is a bigger hot potato than the media is currently discussing because no one seems to be talking about the impact legalizing millions of poor people will have on unemployment. It's easier for them to talk about skin color because they see everything through that lens.
So White Libs, When Blacks Beat Up Hispanics Which Politically Correct Side Do You Choose?
neither. violence never accomplishes anything.
Both are idiots.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

5,200 posts, read 4,112,644 times
Political Correctness is based on the principle of
'the ability to pick up a turd by the clean end'.

"How do you define political correct and why should this label specificly be directed against liberals
Conservatives can be just as political correct but in other issues." by Ultralight.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
I'm saying I personally don't think it's a racial issue but when the media sees everything in terms of race it trumps what I see as an economic issue. As I said in another post once, if the millions of Mexicans running over the border were doctors and scientists, it wouldn't get much attention...which is why we have immigration laws on the books to begin with as to the number of poor people we let into this country that will be a burden to it. When the poor people just happen to be Mexican, it turns into an issue of Mexicans being a burden instead of poor illegals being a burden. They aren't a burden because they're Mexican. They're a burden because they are poor and because there here in the millions, illegally.

I also think there is another issue in play and that is the economic education of your average news media reporter and personality. They can talk about race and politics but some of those liberal arts majors are this side of DUH! when it comes to economics. If you aren't reading or listening to the business reporters, you are only getting half of the story and that half is all about race.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:22 PM

18,343 posts, read 11,636,703 times
I side with the victim.

Or is that not what you wanted/expected to hear?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,559,251 times
I pick hispanics

Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM

6,011 posts, read 6,731,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
I pick hispanics

hispanics are't a race... but are you hispanic

Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,707,955 times
Quote:
I'm saying I personally don't think it's a racial issue but when the media sees everything in terms of race it trumps what I see as an economic issue.
You started this thread and choose to focus on race. Go look at the many threads with race as the topic of complaint and you will see it is the conservative/right that almost always starts them. You guys are obsessed with race.

Quote:
I also think there is another issue in play and that is the economic education of your average news media reporter and personality. They can talk about race and politics but some of those liberal arts majors are this side of DUH! when it comes to economics. If you aren't reading or listening to the business reporters, you are only getting half of the story and that half is all about race.
Which 'economic educated' news commentator comes to mind?
If someone wants news and/or advice on economics then their best bet is to listen to an economist, not a news commentator. There are economists who report on the economy.

Once again, which of the following three spends more time slamming people because of their race. hint: it isn't the former fellow with the college education.

I copied this from my post on a different thread. It fits as a rebuttal to part of your post.

Maddow earned a degree in public policy from Stanford University in 1994. At graduation she was awarded the John Gardner Fellowship. She was also the recipient of a Rhodes Scholarship and began her postgraduate study in 1995 at Lincoln College, Oxford. In 2001, she earned a Doctorate in Philosophy (DPhil) in politics from Oxford University.

Beck's education:

Graduated high school in 1982. In 1996, while working for a New Haven-area radio station, Beck briefly attended Yale University. Beck took one theology class, "Early Christology," and then dropped out.

Rushy's education:

Because of his parents' desire to see him attend college, he enrolled in Southeast Missouri State University but left the school after two semesters and one summer. According to his mother, "he flunked everything", and "he just didn't seem interested in anything except radio."

Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,801,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well as a liberal and an African American, when it comes to felonious assault, I will always side with the victim. Period. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Same here. Except I'm black.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:04 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,463,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
You guys are obsessed with race.
This is the funniest line I have read on here all day. You have the entire left that wants to call people racist, they want to call people uncle toms, house negros etc...

Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,801,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
This is the funniest line I have read on here all day. You have the entire left that wants to call people racist, they want to call people uncle toms, house negros etc...
You know what's funny though is that anytime I make a observation I'm always accused of playing the race card and I somehow doubt that it's by "the left"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or