U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:09 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,877,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Why do you always have to make assumptions in everything your post?
Well how do you think the drug addicts know who is carrying around lots of cash?

Seriously - if you were a black drug addict, and a white guy and a Mexican guy were walking by and you wanted money - would you automatically go for the Mexican illegal? Or would you go for the drug dealer independent of ethnicity?

Obviously if it's drug addicts robbing them, but leaving all other ethnicties alone, then it's because they know who has the big drug money on them.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM

216 posts, read 199,021 times
there is a rich one that doesn't like a poor one.. and so on.. and so..

stereo types.. backed only by definition of race leads to the grand division.
too much cnn.. bs..and bs to get em all fighting?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:34 PM

216 posts, read 199,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well how do you think the drug addicts know who is carrying around lots of cash?

Seriously - if you were a black drug addict, and a white guy and a Mexican guy were walking by and you wanted money - would you automatically go for the Mexican illegal? Or would you go for the drug dealer independent of ethnicity?

Obviously if it's drug addicts robbing them, but leaving all other ethnicties alone, then it's because they know who has the big drug money on them.
oh..funny senerio..around here the gang bangers rob the illegal pickers.
talk about generations of trash..

Old 08-17-2010, 11:33 PM

4,309 posts, read 7,922,107 times
I dispute the dismissive "politically correct" label made. Clearly racial violence is inappropriate, and the response to racial violence is obvious. Problems in this society need to be solved in a non-violent manner.

One source does mention "Some of Port Richmond's black residents assert that newcomers' presence touches a nerve. Mike Mason, 47, a teacher who works in New Jersey, said the arrival of Mexican immigrants had changed the texture of the community.

"America has got to do something as far as immigration goes," he said. "In the morning you can see the streets lined with undocumented workers ... That's always in the back of people's minds.""

Class dismissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did I mention the incident did NOT happen in the South and apparently the attackers weren't tea party members?

"Recorded by a store's surveillance camera, the assault was the first of 11 suspected anti-Hispanic bias attacks in a Staten Island neighborhood, re-igniting years-old tensions between blacks and Hispanics in New York City's most remote borough."

My Way News - Attacks against Mexicans inflame tensions in NYC

See, I'm thinking this is not really a racial issue at all but is an issue of illegals and dwindling jobs. The high unemployment rate is in the black community now. You promise to put millions of poor illegal people (regardless of where they are from) on a path to citizenship and they aren't going to settle for the "jobs Americans won't do" because once they become citizens they'll be competing for some blue collar jobs along with blue collar blacks and whites. And they won't supplement the workforce either because if they become citizens they'll be looking for and entitled to the same wages as native Americans, so someone will have to go, at the workplace. It just happens that a large percentage of blacks are out of work now.

"The unemployment rate for Blacks ages 16 and older inched up slightly last month to 15.6 percent, according to new data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, from 15.4 percent in June and 15.5 percent in May. The jobless rate represents the percentage of the working-age population that's unemployed."

1 in Every 4 Blacks Underemployed, More Black Women Jobless - DiversityInc.com (http://diversityinc.com/article/7974/1-in-Every-4-Blacks-Underemployed-More-Black-Women-Jobless/ - broken link)

I'd also like to add that another thing that will compound the unemployment problem is ending the wars overseas but this will impact both blue and white collar unemployment. It won't just be soldiers coming home but it will be a lot of civilian military support personnel both home and abroad that will be out of work in addition to government contractor employees both home and abroad. I suspect this is the secret reason (unemployment) no one is really in too big of a hurry to end the wars. I'm just throwing this part in because I could see tensions escalate and again, I think it all has to do with unemployment.

The "immigration reform" issue is a bigger hot potato than the media is currently discussing because no one seems to be talking about the impact legalizing millions of poor people will have on unemployment. It's easier for them to talk about skin color because they see everything through that lens.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:36 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,596,336 times
i choose the side where there is a table for me to hide under---that snoop dog is guna get some holes planted in his head very soon. unlike when AA is gooning the white boys, the mexicans hit back. mexican gangs have moved south LA from 60% AA to 60% mexican in just 12 short years. if you are not a citizen you just get deported and are back in a few days. nothing to lose so leroy brown gets himself shot.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-18-2010 at 12:21 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 AM

3,377 posts, read 7,067,512 times
Since this is in NYC and Puerto Ricans and Dominicans(most are at least part black anyway) are the dominant hispanic group over there, I say this more of a hatred against illegal immigrants than Black vs. Hispanics. And since Mexicans are the primary face of illegals, they are the primary target. Aren't blacks and Puerto Ricans generally cool with each other in NYC? It seem like Mexicans(the smaller hispanic group) are the most hated over there. I wonder how Ricans and Dominicans in NYC feel about Mexicans in the area?

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-18-2010 at 01:12 AM..

Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 AM

4,309 posts, read 7,922,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Since this is in NYC and Puerto Ricans and Dominicans(most are at least part black anyway) are the dominant hispanic group over there, I say this more of a hatred against illegal immigrants than Black vs. Hispanics. And since Mexicans are the primary face of illegals, they are the primary target. Aren't blacks and Puerto Ricans generally cool with each other in NYC? It seem like Mexicans(the smaller hispanic group) are the most hated over there. I wonder how Ricans and Dominicans in NYC feel about Mexicans in the area?
This seems to be confined to a small area of NYC, not all of NYC broadly. Also, in some parts of NYC Mexican-American immigration is rising.

There may be real resentment against illegal immigrants, but a violent response is totally inappropriate.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM

23,636 posts, read 31,299,087 times
I am not in favor of random violence no matter who perpetrates it. Do you really think it puts a smile on my face to see people beat up Latinos, illegal or not?

Old 08-18-2010, 07:48 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,470,820 times
first off, as a nyer, i'm aware that there are dominicans targeting mexican immigrants as well as those from other ethnicities and/or races.

second, there are a such thing as black latinos, OP.

third, the OP is trolling and trying to bait people.

fourth, there are a lot of racists on CD.

fifth, anybody with a brain should be on the side of the victim in this case. race and ethnicity has nothing to do with it. wrong is wrong.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,844,279 times
Iím not white, but Iíll chime in anyway. I donít believe this was racially motivated. Nor do I believe it is necessarily an illegal immigration issue. This is typical thug behavior. It is only receiving publicity because the victim is Mexican, and Mexicans have become the face of illegal immigration.

These same thugs have most likely also victimized black residents in their area. However, the media will rarely report those crimes, because itís simply considered a mundane incident of black-on-black crime. It isnít deemed newsworthy.

Regardless of motive(s), a crime has been committed, and the perpetrators should be punished. It speaks volumes that any would choose sides solely on the basis of race/ethnicity. This is a violent crime, and itís wrong, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or