U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 01:45 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
If Joe Illegal swims across the river to and somehow gets a job at McDonalds using a fake social security card and other false identy papers, what is his next step? Maybe even someone who has lived illegally in America for years.

Does he open a bank account under his fake name? Does he apply for credit cards? What happens when he tries to rent an apartment and they ask for ID or the rental agent does a background check? Just how much in the shadows do they live? Especially long term illegals.

I would like to know more about the day to day offical interactions of an illegal alien.
You can open a checking account and get credit cards in U.S. banks without being a legal resident.

I have several friends who regularly do business with U.S. businesses who hold U.S. bank accounts. You generally just need to go to the bank with a valid passport from your country. Also, you are able to easily get secured credit cards linked to your checking accounts. Given time, these credit cards turn into unsecured cards.

Also, as far as renting/buying property you can do so with your passport. The social security usually only comes to play when asking for a loan (for the bank to check on your credit worthiness). I know several people who are in the real state business, who are not legal U.S. residents ( And hardly ever come to the U.S. ) and they have no problem acquiring property.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 AM

4,962 posts, read 8,677,165 times
I don't get why having bank accounts and credit cards are threats. Nor do I even see how they make any difference to one's status. What's next, are you going to suggest if a non-legal resident has US dollars in his possession it should be made a crime?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:10 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I don't get why having bank accounts and credit cards are threats. Nor do I even see how they make any difference to one's status. What's next, are you going to suggest if a non-legal resident has US dollars in his possession it should be made a crime?
Everything should be done to discourage them from staying here including denying them bank accounts, credit cards and driver's licenses. So there lays the reason.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,850,347 times
I know several illegals, they all either have credits cards, bank accounts, car loans and or home loans.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:01 PM

526 posts, read 412,145 times
I am a manager for a major retailer, and the number of our customers that speak virtually no English (and I can safely assume a large number of them are illegal) and have credit cards is amazing.

But the thing that really gets to me is the number of immigrants (I am not suggesting they are illegal) who come into our store to pay off their store credit card with literally thousands of dollars in cash. For such large payments, as a manager I get called into the situation. 100% of the customers I have dealt with in this situation are immigrants (before someone raises the question, I can safely say they are immigrants due to their heavy accents), mostly Latino and Asian. I have numerous times accepted credit card payments from people giving me anywhere from $4,000 to $9,000 IN CASH! I had one lady pay her bill with $8,000 in tens and twenties. I know some immigrants don't trust banks, but I think it is safe to assume that the majority of this is income that these people have paid NO taxes on. The bulk of recent immigrants come from countries riddled with corruption and an anything goes mentality. They come from countries with thriving underground economies and they bring this way of life with them. I think this is a largely ignored reason why California is broke. Millions of tax paying American born citizens have left this state in the last 20 years to be replaced by millions of immigrants who I suspect a great many of them pay no taxes.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:15 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
That doesn't just happen in the USA. In Australia it's well known for Asians to have large sums of cash - one of the reasons they are the main targets for "home invasions". Now whether that's black economy earnings or just the result of no trust in banks - who knows.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 PM

4,962 posts, read 8,677,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Everything should be done to discourage them from staying here including denying them bank accounts, credit cards and driver's licenses. So there lays the reason.
You can't enforce one law (illegal presence) with fifty others. That's just wasteful, but hey I am sure you think government's too big right?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
No but I would suggest that any and all assets be siezed to help offset the cost of the illegals deportation.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
It isnít a threat unless they are using a stolen ID or aliases to obtain credit cards. There are countless citizens with ruined credit due to this practice. Illegals who use aliases charge thousands which they never pay; and others, including YOU, ultimately pay for their larceny.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,738,973 times
Interesting comments ... the more so when I think of the hoops my daughter had to jump through to open her first bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or