U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 PM

25,342 posts, read 37,480,980 times

Advertisements

This was new to me. I only learned about this proposed act yesterday after reading an article on Fox news.

IMO this is great news for all the kids who are a great asset to this country.

Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal | DREAM Act Portal

Now it's only need to be signed into law, just as E2 visa holders should get a path to get a greencard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
The Dreamies, unlike E2 visa holders aren't here LEGALLY - there's ONE big difference.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 AM

4,572 posts, read 3,830,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Then just imagine what an even grater asset they'll be to their own countries - countries that need capable citizens who are willing and able to help clean up the chaos and corruption there. I hear there are many fine schools and universities SOB where students can study and learn without the stigma of being criminals. If they insist on going to school here and have the advantage of learning in an institution built and funded by American taxpayers, the least they can do is pay full fare non-resident rates to show their appreciation.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Smeared eh? Well, tell you what fellow Americans. I'm tired of being "smeared" about not wanting my wallet constantly being ripped out of my back pocket to pay for people (and their families) committing criminal acts.

This is another reward for breaking our laws! If we cannot uphold our laws like this we should strike them from the books.

If I can't afford insurance to drive I should still be able to, right? I mean, come on man, I'm poor. I robbed a bank, I mean, come on man. I am poor. Where is the compassion?

It costs on average 2-5 grand to get smuggled across the border. That's a lot of money to further an education don't you think?

Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Thumbs down The Nightmare Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This was new to me. I only learned about this proposed act yesterday after reading an article on Fox news.

Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal | DREAM Act Portal

Now it's only need to be signed into law, just as E2 visa holders should get a path to get a greencard...
This is nothing new. The DREAM Act amnesty has been around for years, and has been defeated each time, and rightly so.

Furthermore, people aged 18-34 are not “kids.”

Foreign students who abide by our laws must pay higher tuition rates; whereas, illegal students often receive tax-funded in-state tuition. How is that fair to legal students? Why should we ever reward lawbreakers?

Old 08-27-2010, 09:44 AM

Wow, what a hostile posts!

I didn't mean this for illegals, what I try to say is that this is a great act for kids who came here totally legal and have been here all the time in a legal way and so are their parents!

I guess you all haven't heard of E2 visa holders.

E 2 visa holders have to start their own business and hire American Citizens! If the business doesn't do to well they will loose their status and have to leave the country within 2 weeks, so the visa holders who can stay are running good businesses. They don't have a chance to obtain a greencard what so ever.....

So even if they have their business for 10-20 or 30 years...the minute they stop they have to leave the country within 14 days...nice way of saying thank you for having paid taxes, providing jobs to americans and have their kids here going to school.

Many didn't get anchor kids like illegals are doing, but the main concern for E2 visa holders is that their kids only get a visa until they are 21 and then they either need to get one on their own which is very hard or leave the country and go back to a country where some haven't been since they were a toddler.Do you want to punish these legal aliens who got their education over here and now have to separated from their parents at the age of 21.....while their parents provide jobs to Americans!!!!
IMO it is fair that these kids when they behave well and follow the guidelines of the Dreamact are rewarded with a chance to a greencard.

I'm not talking about illegal aliens and their illegal kids....that is why i don't think this thread belongs in the illegal subject!

Old 08-27-2010, 10:00 AM

The DREAM Act IS for illegals though, you obviously missed that in your enthusiasm for the proposed legislation. So called "kids" who are here LEGALLY don't NEED a DREAM Act.

E2 visas are not immigration visas. If they want to immigrate here then they should apply for immigration visas not investment visas. They are adults who are FULLY aware of the conditions of the E2 visa, so why is it the USA responsibility to cater to their kids once they become adults?

Just my opinion but I think the "dual intent" slant of H1B visas should be rescinded as well.

There are already ENOUGH legal "paths to citizenship", we don't need any more for people that think once they manage to BE here, they should be rewarded with a way to change to a GC status.

Last edited by Opyelie; 08-27-2010 at 10:12 AM..

Old 08-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
The DREAM Act IS for illegals though, you obviously missed that in your enthusiasm for the proposed legislation. So called "kids" who are here LEGALLY don't NEED a DREAM Act.

E2 visas are not immigration visas. If they want to immigrate here then they should apply for immigration visas not investment visas. They are adults who are FULLY aware of the conditions of the E2 visa, so why is it the USA responsibility to cater to their kids once they become adults?

Just my opinion but I think the "dual intent" slant of H1B visas should be rescinded as well.

There are already ENOUGH legal "paths to citizenship", we don't need any more for people that think once they manage to BE here, they should be rewarded with a way to change to a GC status.
Well if you think so than Coca Cola, Mars, etc...abroad should fire and lay off all Americans working abroad and raising their kids over there as well and join the unemployed over here!

So you think it is okay to have people employe Americans and have to sent their own kids over seas when they get 21...I think it is wrong and a very bad immigration law...which can and will result in less foreigners who are willing to invest overhere so jobs will go away...but I guess you are glad with that...at least we can make you happy

What other option is there for a legal alien who had their background checked, paid thousands in fees and is employing Americans....what do they need to do for their kids, when they can't get a visa...

Look at the Orlando area, many English people have sold or closed their companies and left the country else where due to this bad immigration law...this is legal immigration not some jerk crowling across the fence and acting like a criminal...these are people who pay to come here, showed who they are and pay taxes and on top of that they create jobs!

I'm glad I'm not one of them, but I feel sorry for them...

Old 08-27-2010, 02:19 PM

The whole point is that an investment visa such as the E2 is NOT an immigration visa - period.

Those that are granted such visas KNOW this - so why is it OUR problem? It's NOT "legal immigration" no matter how much you want to INSIST it is.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:04 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,112,973 times
Betlebee why do you want to provide a path for illegals to become citizens? This is just another form of amnesty while dressing it up as something for E2 visa holders. The E2 holders know FULL WELL the terms and conditions of their visa. THIS IS JUST ANOTHER AMNESTY BILL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration