Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Interesting that the Decoster Farms is putting out salmonella eggs and is known to bring in illegals to work cheap.

Hiring - Egg Mogul Gets Probation In Hiring Of Illegal Workers

SIOUX CITY -- Austin J. DeCoster, owner of DeCoster Farms, one of Iowa's largest egg producers, was sentenced Tuesday in federal court to five years probation for knowingly and repeatedly hiring illegal workers.

DeCoster, 68, of Clarion, could have faced six months in prison on each of two counts, but U.S. District Judge Mark W. Bennett said: "I don't think you deserve prison time. You've done an extraordinary amount of work with the government."

The Associated Press: A supplier in egg recall has history of violations

Both farms are linked to businessman Austin "Jack" DeCoster, who has been cited for numerous health, safety and employment violations over the years. DeCoster owns Wright County Egg, the original farm that recalled 380 million eggs Aug. 13 after they were linked to more than 1,000 reported cases of salmonella poisoning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 08:19 AM

50,274 posts, read 47,032,885 times
That's just nasty. How many of these businesses tied to these outbreaks will our Govt allow to continue poisoning the masses? Theyve voluntarily added Illegals into the Salmonella outbreak.

ALIPAC - Egg Recall Expanded After Salmonella Outbreak Illegal Alien Employer

Here is one talking about the lack of hygiene.
We know this to be true by the almost weekly food recalls. Inevitably these recalls occur due to contamination of the food product by workers taking short cuts, not following the rules or just a basic lack of personal hygiene

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/twocanp...rom-iowa-plant

Old 08-22-2010, 08:30 AM

Look at the health care costs alone because of these filthy eggs - and Obama pretends to care about cutting health care costs? Over a thousand people made ill -- known cases.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Look at the health care costs alone because of these filthy eggs - and Obama pretends to care about cutting health care costs? Over a thousand people made ill -- known cases.
????????

I know that The First Lady was vegetable gardening, but I was unaware that Obama was raising egg laying chickens.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
????????

I know that The First Lady was vegetable gardening, but I was unaware that Obama was raising egg laying chickens.
Well - what do you suppose ended up being the costs of all those thousands of salmonella cases?

The federal government is making it very difficult for the small farms and backyard urban farmers but protects it's criminal corporate farms.

There were plenty of opportunities to shut down these big egg farms and for a variety of reasons but they were given tiny slaps on the wrists.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM

216 posts, read 234,528 times
yet another big man that cant pay a fair wage to an American worker.
lets see , screws everyone to get richer and richer.
his punishment should 10 years in jail and forfeit of his business.
why should he not have tp play by the rules while the rest of us suffer.
just pay the gov and everything ok.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well - what do you suppose ended up being the costs of all those thousands of salmonella cases?

The federal government is making it very difficult for the small farms and backyard urban farmers but protects it's criminal corporate farms.

There were plenty of opportunities to shut down these big egg farms and for a variety of reasons but they were given tiny slaps on the wrists.
this is something new that started with Obama?

May 13, 2008
Farm Bill Perpetuates Market Deregulation and Volatility

Minneapolis – The 2008 Farm Bill coming to the House and Senate floor this week includes incremental gains for conservation, renewable energy, food aid and healthier local food systems. However, it fails to fix the deregulation policies of the previous two Farm Bills that have increased market volatility to the benefit of global food corporations and at the expense of farmers, consumers, rural communities and the environment, said the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (IATP).
The FARM // Future Action Reclamation Mob \\

Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:

Over the last year, I've posted the link to the following article on Iowa Beef Packers (one of the three major beef packers in the U.S.).

I've repeatedly stated that if one is truly against illegal labor then they must stop buying all of the food from companies that hire illegal labor. To not do so, is to support the very thing they claim they are against.

The response from anti-Mexican crowd has always been raft with excuses, and justification for buying these products. They coupled this with how even though they bought these products they weren't supporting illegal labor. (yes, they lie to themselves)

Meatpacking industry has a long history of reliance on immigrant laborer | Greeley Tribune

Only a political baiter would blame the Obama administration for this latest outbreak. Here's a link with a list of food borne illness outbreaks. These food borne illness outbreaks happen because of the conditions of the packers/growers, not because of who is in the WH.

List of food borne illness outbreaks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More links on the illegal labor force in the food industry.

From the ultra White state of Vermont:

http://www.immigrationworksusa.org/u...immigrants.pdf

"A Tyson plant in Union City, Tenn., sought workers in Mexico through a classified ad in El Diario, a newspaper published in Juarez across the border from El Paso. The Spanish-language ad, which ran on Feb. 13, 1999, promised $15,000 to $18,000 a year for work on a poultry production line. The ad was placed by InStaff Personnel, an employment agency based in Dallas that recruited about 500 workers in Texas and Mexico for the Union City plant, according to Keith Phillips, a former InStaff managing partner. "We would not have recruited any Mexican nationals, because we were checking to be certain that [applicants] were legal to work in the United States," Phillips said......"

Victims in the Heartland | The American Prospect

"The government, though, has had little success in stemming the flow of illegal immigrants to food and agriculture companies. Federal raids on meatpacking plants sent many illegal workers back to their countries. But it outraged food companies, who complained of disruptions. Civil rights officials accused the government of harassing Mexicans and others from Central America. And Midwestern politicians sometimes complained that slowing down the work at meatpacking plants increased the supply of livestock and thereby harmed hog and cattle farmers, who had already been suffering from low prices for their goods....."

I-9 Enforcement -- Meatpackers' profits hinge on pool of immigrant labor (http://are.berkeley.edu/APMP/pubs/i9news/profitshinge122101.html - broken link)

If you really want an eyeopener on the food business in America read the following link. It touches on illegal labor and corporate control of our food from seed to shelf. This is sad news for Americans, whether one is left or right.

"ConAgra Inc., is the nation's second largest food manufacturer. It is the only major food company that operates across the food chain -- providing feed, fertilizers and chemicals to farmers and ranchers, trading meat and grain, and producing packaged foods for consumers.

Corporate agribusiness today, from seedling to supermarket, is dominated by such transnational corporate giants as Unilever, Nestle, Philip Morris, RJR Nabisco, Cargill and Archer Daniels Midland...."

9.97.conagra.html

The best shot any of us have at getting the safest food is to buy only from local growers or shop in stores like Whole Foods that focus on organic and/or local growers. They also will supply their shelves with breads from local bakeries, etc.

The rightwing trends toward protection of corporate interest, at all costs. But, if you read any of the links you can see that the corporate food industry does not protect Americans. They predominantly hire illegal labor to cut costs, and their primary focus is not on humane practices in the meat packing industry. Their primary focus is on volume, not value or quality.

The left trends toward supporting local farmers, growers and businessess which helps keep the dollars at a localized level. Buying local also decreases the chance for any nation wide food borne illness outbreaks.

Reading the above links has made me even more aware of how seriously bad the corporate raised and packaged food is in our country. To date, I've bought local and/or organic with some items, but have been sort of nonchalant about it.

I already buy eggs from cage-free chickens. I don't always buy organic eggs, but I always buy cage-free and as local as i can get. I had no concern when this outbreak started. All of our eggs were safe from this outbreak. My frail, 81 y/0 mom now lives with me, and had she of gotten sick from this salmonella outbreak it would have been very serious.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 08-22-2010 at 05:25 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
????????

well maybe Obama isn't raising egg laying chickens, but he has laid a few eggs himself.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:29 PM

559 posts, read 1,356,300 times
Google this farm and you'll find all kinds of articles from animal curelty to labor issues. Not a place I would buy products from, they abuse both the animals and the people that work with the animals.
http://www.farmsanctuary.org/mediacenter/assets/reports/decoster.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration