U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 434,004 times

Advertisements

Here's some of the amnesty wafflers that are still on the fence about the issue, nothing is certain here and the vote will be razor thin, so if you get a chance drop one or all of these Senators a line and urge them to vote NO, it will definatley help.

Christopher Bond (R-MO) (202) 224-5721
Sam Brownback (R-KS) (202) 224-6521
Richard Burr (R-NC) (202) 224-3154
Larry Craig (R-ID) (202) 224-2752
John Ensign (R-NV) (202) 224-6244
Mitch McConnell (R-KY) (202) 224-2541
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) (202) 224-6665

Almost if not all of the news sources sound pretty promising on this thing failing, but it's far from a done deal. Keep calling! Many amnesty Senators are feeling the heat and reportedly 'running scared' now that it looks like the bill they championed is going down in flames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 AM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 434,004 times
Update: Senate phones have reportedly 'crashed', the sheer number of phone calls has completely overloaded the resources.

Ted Kennedy is shreiking at the top of his lungs, seriously, yelling at Senators who refuse to bring America together. He draws comparison between amnesty and the Civil Rights Act of 1965. Yawn, must have had too much to drink before driving into work.

Sen. Vitter (R-LA) asks the Senate if they want to dismiss the American people “Are you going to actually value the American people or is that just a political line?”.Asks "What part of NO don't we understand?"

Sen. Sessions (R-AL) refers to the creators of the amnesty bill "The Masters of the Universe" and complains that the pro-amnesty side has recieved 50 minutes of debate time and those who oppose the bill recieved only 10.

Sen. Graham (R-SC) Smears pro-enforcement supporters referring to them as racist bigots, throws hissy fit on Senate floor, nearly moved to tears.

Sen. Durbin (D-IL) Says all the phone calls and e-mails recieved have been "full of hate" and calls them "dark forces". Urges Senate to essentially ignore Americans dissenting to the bill.

Sen. Reid (D-NV) Tells touching tale about his grandma singing to him (no I am NOT joking), and his grandfather or dad (couldn't tell I dozed off) giving him a watch and a ring. Says he recieved a death threat from an amnesty proponent, essentially smearing us as racist murderers.

Strangely, Minority Leader McConnell is nowhere to be found...looks like he might be arm twisting Republicans to pass this bill.

10:58 AM- Sen. Sessions complains that Reid is going over his time (over 50 minutes) and they weren't allowed to go one second over 10 min. Battle ensues. Sen. Reid says he 'would never rudely interrupt him [Sessions]".

11:00 AM- Sen. Reid promises that if cloture is not passed, bill will be pulled for good.

11:02 AM- Roll call is beginning. THIS IS IT. I will update the final vote as soon as it is finished! I need some Maalox...

11:07 AM- I have never seen the Senate so orderly, not a lot of side conversations going on, most people are quietly lined up waiting to vote. Next update will be the final cloture vote.

11:09 AM- From the NO's they've released so far it is looking VERY GOOD.

11:13 AM- Bingaman, Webb, Chambliss all vote NO, which is SHOCKING AND GOOD. Final vote is not completed. I count about 26 No's so far.

11:15 AM- 32 and counting...

11:21 AM- To prevent any heart attacks or strokes, I will just wait for the final vote.

11:23 AM- Okay, I have verified my sources, CLOTURE HAS FAILED, BUST OPEN THAT BOTTLE OF BEER/JOHNNY WALKER/GREY GOOSE/WHATEVER YOU DRINK. (Give the little guys and gals Kool-Aid).

11:27 AM- Final vote 53 No's and 46 Yea's. That's all folks!

Last edited by JD.; 06-28-2007 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-28-2007, 09:58 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,697,306 times
Great updates J.D. -- Keep it up. Those of us who can't get to C-Span this morning are having to rely on talk radio to find out what is going on in the Senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or