U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 PM

233 posts, read 389,677 times

Advertisements

I think we did have something to do with it's defeat but I don't think it was all because of the pressure we put on them. After listening to them on the floor the other day it seemed to me that if it had been put together right and didn't have so many changes happening literally every minute they probably would have gotten it thru and that is a shame. I think this will buy us a little time only, and then they will bring it back. In the meantime I feel we need to get better organized and draw up a plan among all the concerned amnesty opposing groups as to the next course of action. I also feel we need to keep after them to ACTIVELY find and deport those that are already here, and get that damn wall built once and for all. You can't be on both sides of the fence on this issue by saying you hate illegal immigration and in the second breath saying "except for" the few that you have befriended.............it is your responsibility to turn them into ICE. You have to be willing to turn in friends and family who hire them.
What I am trying to say is I think a big reason it didn't get passed was because Bush and his cronies more or less wanted them to give them a package that was constantly changing and so no body knew what they were getting. Sort of like me giving you a blank check with only my signature on it and telling you to fill in the amount.............who knows how much you would write in. They wanted the blanks filled in and I am sure next time they will make sure to have it all down in black and white, and they will have a good shot at getting it passes at that point. If you listen to them they all say "something needs to be done" but what I didn't hear was any of them say "they need to be deported" which tells me they will pass something in the not too distant future so we better have something ready.
Keep up the calls and the contact to get them to ENFORCE the laws as they stand now, when they get the illegal number down then come back and talk to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Teddy hasn't had a meltdown like this since 1969. Somebody give that man a bloody mary.

Now, public servants who took an oath, ENFORCE THE LAW.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM

384 posts, read 850,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
I would remind everyone that wasn't able to watch CSPAN-2 today (I was glued to it like it was the friggin Super Bowl), that almost everyone who was pro-amnesty made it a point to smear public opposition to this bill. In fact, Dick Durbin reffered to all the phone calls as a 'dark and evil force'. Then they began to call us racist bigots (thank you Ted Kennedy), and Reid wanted the Senators to be brave and ignore the hateful few in America that opposed this bill. Remember them come election day, please.
Ladies & Gentlemen this is a great day to be an American. The great American majority came together and defeated the true forces of evil; the corrupt republican and democrat parties. The name calling by these arrogant buffoons show us their true colors and how they really feel about true, legal, American citizens. These name calling Senators and many other layers of government officials including our President hold the elitist attitudes and opinions that ordinary Americans are too stupid to know what's best for America. These are the same people for whom our tax dollars support their bloated salaries, pensions, free healthcare, postage stamps, limo service, and on and on. Benjamin Franklin encountered the same levels of arrogance within the British government in the 1700's; they were stealing our tax dollars way back then as well. Americans should target all the Senators that voted for this bill and if they are up for reelection, efforts should begin to vote them out sending a clear message to the one's we vote in that the will of the American majority will not be deterred.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,646,587 times
Great news about this garbage bill getting tossed on the trash heap where it belongs. But don't stand down . Next these crybaby senators and other pro amnesty groups will be gunning for talk radio and the so-called fairness doctrine. These losers can't accept the fact the the vast majority of the American people didn't want this crap and they used their phones, fax machines, e-mails etc to make their elected officals aware of it. Period. This immigration debate will hopefully carry over into the presidential campaign next year where the likes of McCain, Clinton and others won't be able to hide from their records on this. Also keep the media, national and local, on your radar. They'll do their best to paint those who were against this garbage bill as racists. Oh the fun has just begun. Right now celebrate,.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:14 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,646,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
Yeeee-haawwww!!!!

It Is Time To Regain Control Of The Nation. The War Begins now.
You know it! The evil ones that toad Durbin mentioned on the senate floor are the ones who supported this measure and who are in government right now. Let's take back this country and hand it to people we can trust and who will uphold the law. That's the fact Jack!!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 06:48 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
I've been complaining about how this is a do nothing congress and now I'm ecstatic this didn't pass. But truthfully, I think Kennedy never expected this to pass. This will bring out more Hispanics to vote democratic and they will worry about this in the next election cycle.

Hopefully we will get the border secured by then but somehow I suspect they are never going to secure the border without granting millions of criminals amnesty.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:56 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,264 times
There was a comment today, I wont say by who, but it was an interesting one.
They said to allow the illegals to sue their employers for paying below minimum wage and the problem would be over.
Think about all the restaurant chains, hotel chains, government subcontractors, etc. that would be impacted. What a hornets nest this would open.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,526 times
RedNC, I will say it for you, it was Ann Coulter. No need to be ashamed, and I thought it was a great idea!

Hawkeye48: I think you are dead on about Kennedy not wanting this to pass to gain Hispanic votes for the Dem. nominee in '08, good post.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:00 PM

233 posts, read 389,677 times
Talking Wonderful idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
There was a comment today, I wont say by who, but it was an interesting one.
They said to allow the illegals to sue their employers for paying below minimum wage and the problem would be over.
Think about all the restaurant chains, hotel chains, government subcontractors, etc. that would be impacted. What a hornets nest this would open.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
I think it's a great idea, let those that employed the illegals and encouraged more and more to come here pay, after all they took higher profits by paying the illegals lower wages so they should give them something back and these illegals can use that money to go back accross the border and have a halfway decent life for themselves in their own countries. American workers might then have a shot at getting decent wages again and get back to work. It would probably put a few of these guys out of business but then they'd know how the rest of Americans felt when they couldn't support their families anymore.................nice to see that shoe on the other foot for once, hey........it'll be an education for them to see how they forced others to cope.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,137,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD. View Post
RedNC, I will say it for you, it was Ann Coulter. No need to be ashamed, and I thought it was a great idea!
I'm not in the least bit ashamed. It is a good idea. I just didn't want to incite the “hate Coulter” crowd here any more than they already are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration