U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,360 times

Advertisements

No, there shouldn't be.

It is just an ugly side-effect of illegally migrating to this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
This would just be another back door amnesty for their parents. Once they become legal they could sponsor their parents who are here illegally. Clever but sneaky IMO.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
In cases where the child was brought here as a minor by their parents entering the country illegally, should there be a special provision to allow them to gain legal status upon becoming 18?

Given that they really had very little if any say in the matter, it would seem fair.

I'm not talking about the so called Dream Act for illegals 18-34 - more a special visa process so that these kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own can become legal residents.

I'd rather reward someone in this position than the scum that come over as illegal adults to drop babies, suck up social services, take jobs and commit crimes.

Maybe a special visa with a prohibition on so called "chain migration" rights for a certain number of years? And to stop the "Dreamies" utilising it, have a time limit to apply - maybe only be eligible to apply from 3 months before they turn 18 to 3 months after.
Opyelie, I generally agree with you, but I must disagree with this. I understand your position, but can you imagine how many people would enter this country illegally for the sole purpose of giving their children the “American Dream?”

It would be a MEGA magnet for illegal immigration. Some would even send their children alone to rid themselves of the responsibility. Even without chain migration, if we had a special provision for non-citizen minors, we would become a huge dumping ground for the impoverished children of the world. It would be a nightmare.

Quote:
So basically, it's a "the sins of the father" situation then? Even though these kids had zero say in whether they were brought here illegally or not.
It’s unfortunate, but children often suffer due to the decisions of their parents. The fault lies with the parents who subject their children to their unlawful lifestyles. By rewarding the children, we essentially reward their parents for flagrantly violating our laws. If parents realize their lawless behavior will ultimately benefit their children, it will only serve as an incentive to violate our laws. We are already providing an expensive K-12 education, and in-state college tuition in many states. I think that is more than generous.

Quote:
I don't believe in the current interpretation of the 14th amendment which allows the children born here of tourists and illegals to have automatic birthright citizenship, but slaves were brought here against their will, with NO CHOICE and so were these kids.

Why do they have to pay for the crimes of their parents?

Why would these 18 year olds need their parents to stay in the country to "look after them"? I'm talking about kids brought here as minors against their will being given a chance to have legal status at 18.
Do we really want to compare slavery to illegal immigration? Yes, slaves and their children had no choice. However, illegal alien parents most definitely have a choice, and they choose to ignore our laws. Selfishly, they involve their children. Is it fair to the children? Of course not. But, life is often unfair.

The only provision I would agree with would be to give the children an opportunity to return to the U.S. without penalty. They should be required to apply for visas just like other foreigners. Some will be admitted, while others will be denied; and rightly so.

The fact that they were brought here by their parents does not mean they are the caliber of immigrants we actually need in this country, as evidenced by their high teen pregnancy and dropout rates.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:56 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This would just be another back door amnesty for their parents. Once they become legal they could sponsor their parents who are here illegally. Clever but sneaky IMO.

exactly.

besides, 50% of the visa's given out every year are to Mexicans. that is already overly biased to Mexico. we really do not need to create more backdoor ways for them.

We need to give other ethnic groups a chance at the American Dream too

Old 09-01-2010, 09:01 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:
We also don't throw their kids in jail because the PARENT committed a crime...........

I WAS hoping for some rational debate, not the kneejerk responses so far.

I think I've been posting here long enough for my views on illegals to be well known.
Knee jerk??? Not at all.
The kids get thrown in jail because they are also part of the crime.
Rational? What did you want to hear? That we should look at giving the kids an option of a free pass?
lets put it another way. My wife who is a legal and I would like to help her daughter to come here legally. We will have a 3 to 5 year wait unless we go tourist VISA. I think its fair to deport the children of illegals for the same period of time. They may then apply to enter legally.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
I also say NO! on this issue.
This would only open more loop holes and doors allowing them to
drag the illegal immigration issue further from any conclsion.

Close the doors and seal the hatches!..We're in the "lock-down" mode.!

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,203,701 times
Quote:
I don't believe in the current interpretation of the 14th amendment which allows the children born here of tourists and illegals to have automatic birthright citizenship, but slaves were brought here against their will, with NO CHOICE and so were these kids.

Why do they have to pay for the crimes of their parents?

Why would these 18 year olds need their parents to stay in the country to "look after them"? I'm talking about kids brought here as minors against their will being given a chance to have legal status at 18.
Saying "yes" to this is like approving the loop holes in the 14th Amendment.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
No. There should be no benefit to coming here undocumented. A lot of people would look at that as a reason to illegally enter: knowing that their children will have a chance to gain citizenship. I am pretty sure that if you become a citizen in the United States that your immediate family have a chance to become legal citizens, which means that the illegal immigrant mother will be more than happy to come here with her babies because she knows one day that she may be eligible via that child.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I also say NO! on this issue.
This would only open more loop holes and doors allowing them to
drag the illegal immigration issue further from any conclsion.

Close the doors and seal the hatches!..We're in the "lock-down" mode.!
I think we should have had lock-down mode a while ago, just to clear our vision on things. Only qualified people would have been given visas, students and people who definitely have a job that is in an area they are qualified in.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:19 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I think we should have had lock-down mode a while ago, just to clear our vision on things.

I think so too. Things have gone way too far for a while now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or