U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:34 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,222,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Ah, but it is impacting her life. She just may not understand how. Her school resources, medical wait times at ERs, social services, higher taxes to her parents which in turn reduces funds available for her health, welfare, education, recreation. Fewer citizens paying taxes when jobs are taken by illegals. Money funnelled South of the border leaving the US. Identity theft done by illegal to obtain SSN#'s, and the list goes on..........

Perhaps a lesson beginning with the Constitution is in order and an explaination to her how the 14th Amendment was enacted to deal with the citizenship of freed slaves. This is education she must not have received at school.
Quote:
Kids in general do not understand why life isn't fair and why there must be rules/laws.
That's only because they haven't lived in the real world yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,962,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
That's only because they haven't lived in the real world yet.
LOL She has 2 kids and one on the way - I'd doubt that.

It's just that she has a "blind spot" in certain areas where her compassion and empathy overrides her best interests.

She's already been told about the 14th and probably actually has a better understanding of the Constitution than some native born Americans.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 PM

15,535 posts, read 29,284,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
In cases where the child was brought here as a minor by their parents entering the country illegally, should there be a special provision to allow them to gain legal status upon becoming 18?

Given that they really had very little if any say in the matter, it would seem fair.

I'm not talking about the so called Dream Act for illegals 18-34 - more a special visa process so that these kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own can become legal residents.

I'd rather reward someone in this position than the scum that come over as illegal adults to drop babies, suck up social services, take jobs and commit crimes.

Maybe a special visa with a prohibition on so called "chain migration" rights for a certain number of years? And to stop the "Dreamies" utilising it, have a time limit to apply - maybe only be eligible to apply from 3 months before they turn 18 to 3 months after.
Again, special considerations just because they are children.

No, no and no. They can go back to Mexico, Guatemala, Peru or wherever their parents dragged them from. They have family there. They can go back and enter this country LEGALLY if they want to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,222,929 times
Quote:

It's just that she has a "blind spot" in certain areas where her compassion and empathy overrides her best interests.

She's already been told about the 14th and probably actually has a better understanding of the Constitution than some native born Americans.
Then this is for your daughter...

YouTube - Loretta Lynn - One's On The Way

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Again, special considerations just because they are children.

No, no and no. They can go back to Mexico, Guatemala, Peru or wherever their parents dragged them from. They have family there. They can go back and enter this country LEGALLY if they want to.

20yrsinBranson

That was one of the points I made to my daughter. We're forced to listen to the incessant whining about illegals adherence to "family", I'm sure there's a LARGE extended family "back home" that can take care of the child.

I can't even imagine being a parent that risks my child's life to DRAG them across a desert to get to their perceived "utopia". Or risk their life by paying some lowlife coyote to smuggle them in later (I've read THOSE "sob" stories too)

Old 09-01-2010, 03:16 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,161,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Opyelie, please don't use what my ancestors had to go through (slavery) to try and justify illegal immigration. It makes my blood boil when people try to use slavery and civil rights in the illegal immigration discussion.
I so agree with you, SoEdible. How dare anyone compare the plight of our black American citizens and their fight for justice and equality in their own country to that of illegal alien foreigners!

Old 09-01-2010, 03:19 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,902,906 times
Quote:

Thats not the worst fault anyone could have that's for sure. I respect her sense of compassion although possibly misplaced. Too many folks buy into the idea that somehow we should make an exception for the children. In a perfect Utopia this would be the course of action. However, we have homeless children who are US citizens that we should focus on first and always.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I so agree with you, SoEdible. How dare anyone compare the plight of our black American citizens and their fight for justice and equality in their own country to that of illegal alien foreigners!
I wasn't "comparing" the two - just saying that both had no choice in whether they were brought here or not.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:07 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,081,552 times
interesting.
so a child who was brought legally to this country by their folks and has been here for one year has more claim to this country than a person brought to this country as a child [ilegally] but that has been here for 20 years?
who do you think would be more culturally "american"

so then culture or being a part of the culture matters little?

interesting.

Quote:
Regardless of how they came to be here, it's NOT their country, and the blame and responsibility for their situation rests solely on their parents shoulders.

Sometimes one needs to play devil's advocate to clarify one's own views.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
interesting.
so a child who was brought legally to this country by their folks and has been here for one year has more claim to this country than a person brought to this country as a child [ilegally] but that has been here for 20 years?
who do you think would be more culturally "american"

so then culture or being a part of the culture matters little?

interesting.
Actually, legally yes, she does. It is what it is.

Even though my daughter has been here a lot longer than one year btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or