U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,704,899 times

Advertisements

Yes, they should be provisionally sent home along with their illegally present progenitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:25 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,098,000 times
this is counter to what most people think.

immigrants are always derided for not speaking english for not wearing western clothes, etc etc.

if it was only based on legal status, none of this would matter. people would not care what language a person spoke or what customs they carried... they are after all US citizens.

interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Actually, legally yes, she does. It is what it is.

Even though my daughter has been here a lot longer than one year btw

Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
this is counter to what most people think.

immigrants are always derided for not speaking english for not wearing western clothes, etc etc.

if it was only based on legal status, none of this would matter. people would not care what language a person spoke or what customs they carried... they are after all US citizens.

interesting.
I'll have to disagree with you here. It irritates me more when a legal immigrant and especially a citizen refuses to speak our language. I don't care what they speak at home however. Illegal aliens tend to live in neighborhoods with others like them and work at jobs that don't require English skills. I am not excusing them just saying that is why they don't make the effort to learn English and many are only here to earn money and then go back home anyway. There is no excuse however for a legal immigrant or citizen to not speak the language of this country.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM

the comment was in regards to the convo about being an "american" and what constitutes who is and who isnt.

but i dont understand what you are disagreeing with? what is said is that most people deride those who dont assimilate. which is what you basically said. so i think we are on the same page.

do elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I'll have to disagree with you here. It irritates me more when a legal immigrant and especially a citizen refuses to speak our language. I don't care what they speak at home however. Illegal aliens tend to live in neighborhoods with others like them and work at jobs that don't require English skills. I am not excusing them just saying that is why they don't make the effort to learn English and many are only here to earn money and then go back home anyway. There is no excuse however for a legal immigrant or citizen to not speak the language of this country.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,176,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
the comment was in regards to the convo about being an "american" and what constitutes who is and who isnt.

but i dont understand what you are disagreeing with? what is said is that most people deride those who dont assimilate. which is what you basically said. so i think we are on the same page.

do elaborate.
Elaborate on what? My comments were in response to your remarks below.

"if it was only based on legal status, none of this would matter. people would not care what language a person spoke or what customs they carried... they are after all US citizens".

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 PM

follow the thread and you will see that that was a response to opy
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Elaborate on what? My comments were in response to your remarks below.

"if it was only based on legal status, none of this would matter. people would not care what language a person spoke or what customs they carried... they are after all US citizens".

Old 09-02-2010, 07:38 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,594,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
This thread was about children brought here by their illegal parents with no say, not about slavery and the history of black Americans.

I already mentioned the context in which the comment was made, and you have to realise the person that said it does not have the same context of "history" as some of you posting obviously do. She obviously doesn't have the same visceral reaction to the term "slave".
Fair enough, but I'm the type who thinks, "Don't say something (even if it is just quoting someone else) if you aren't ready to hear what people have to say about it." I'm not trying to say that in a smart-alleck way or anything, you seem fairly nice and open-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or