Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times

Advertisements

In cases where the child was brought here as a minor by their parents entering the country illegally, should there be a special provision to allow them to gain legal status upon becoming 18?

Given that they really had very little if any say in the matter, it would seem fair.

I'm not talking about the so called Dream Act for illegals 18-34 - more a special visa process so that these kids who are here illegally through no fault of their own can become legal residents.

I'd rather reward someone in this position than the scum that come over as illegal adults to drop babies, suck up social services, take jobs and commit crimes.

Maybe a special visa with a prohibition on so called "chain migration" rights for a certain number of years? And to stop the "Dreamies" utilising it, have a time limit to apply - maybe only be eligible to apply from 3 months before they turn 18 to 3 months after.

Last edited by Opyelie; 08-31-2010 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Not just no but hell no. If a bank robber robs a bank should his children get to keep the loot?
What about drug dealers? Should their children get to keep the stash?

Old 08-31-2010, 01:04 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not just no but hell no. If a bank robber robs a bank should his children get to keep the loot?

I second your thoughs.

HELL NO!!!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

We also don't throw their kids in jail because the PARENT committed a crime...........

I WAS hoping for some rational debate, not the kneejerk responses so far.

I think I've been posting here long enough for my views on illegals to be well known.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:20 PM

50,263 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
We also don't throw their kids in jail because the PARENT committed a crime...........

I WAS hoping for some rational debate, not the kneejerk responses so far.

I think I've been posting here long enough for my views on illegals to be well known.
My answer would be no. Thie entire family is here illegally. If the kid wants to become a US Citizen they should move to the Country they are from (along with the Parents). If we allow this it would bait in even more illegal immigration.

Their immigration shouldn't automatically allow a change of Country just by walking on the dirt.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
Sure, send them back with their parents. That seems special to me.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:23 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Problem is, Opyelie, that's what they are doing right now, sort of. The women are getting pregnant, and having their babies on US soil. They are already becoming US citizens. Unfortunately that idea would just make the anchor baby situation worse. It's no different if you think about it from a kid being born here from illegal parents. It's just delaying the fact until they are 18.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM

So basically, it's a "the sins of the father" situation then? Even though these kids had zero say in whether they were brought here illegally or not.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:00 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Special provision? Sure, let's give them two: a baloney sandwich and a bottle of water on their way back over the border.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
So basically, it's a "the sins of the father" situation then? Even though these kids had zero say in whether they were brought here illegally or not.
They are here illegally. What do you want, send their parents home, and then we take care of them? No no no.

Send them all home. We don't want them,
they were not invited. The first thing they did
in our country, was break the law!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration