U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-10-2010, 07:54 PM
 
344 posts, read 153,221 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
"Foreigner or illegal immigrant"? Many immigrants have helped improve the United States, illegal immigrants? Not so much unless you are one of the wanna be "I wish I could own slaves" bunch.
Read the part that many became illegal immigrants after 1906.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
 
344 posts, read 153,221 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I said "illegal" foreigners.
Read the part where I stated that after 1906 many became illegal immigrants due to the SF earthquake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 585,659 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
I'm in SoCal. My best friend's uncle works as a hospital administrator (CFO) at Sharp in San Diego. He passed me a newsletter from ACHE (the American College of Health Care Executives). The largest percentage of people that don't pay are natives. Remember about 42% of illegal immigrants have healthcare. There are more uninsured Americans than uninsured illegal immigrants. It's statistically impossible, on the whole, that illegal immigrants are bankrupting healthcare. I will say that it is possible on a local level. Completely possible.

As for the rudeness, do you think that maybe you already categorized them as rude before dealing with them? Maybe you stereotyped them prior to meeting them. I received a DM about how said person simply don't like Hispanic illegal immigrants...they believed that Hispanic illegal immigrants were worse than Asian illegal immigrants. Basically it came down to a matter of preconceived notions.
I thought this thread was about illegal immigrants? Since when did Native Americans become part of that? If that is what you mean about "natives" Nice deflection. I dont't know where those 42% of illegals are that have insurance but I doubt its in this Country. Where do you get this information, a newsletter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 AM
 
344 posts, read 153,221 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
I thought this thread was about illegal immigrants? Since when did Native Americans become part of that? If that is what you mean about "natives" Nice deflection. I dont't know where those 42% of illegals are that have insurance but I doubt its in this Country. Where do you get this information, a newsletter?
Natives, meaning of this country. The newsletter is a trade letter for hospital executives. Yes it is in this country "The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that 59% of the nation's illegal immigrants are uninsured, compared with 25% of legal immigrants and 14% of U.S. citizens." (Wolf, Richard. "Rising health care costs put focus on illegal immigrants." USA Today. 1 January 2008: A4 Print.)
I was off by 2 percentage points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 11:12 AM
 
344 posts, read 153,221 times
Reputation: 46
Source for the Chinese Exclusion Act:

Sayler, Lucy. "Chew Heong v. United States: Chinese Exclusion and the Federal Courts." University of New Hampshire: 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39 PM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 585,659 times
Reputation: 293
Califreeman, did you know that now substantially more than HALF of the annual budget for medi-cal is for anchor babies. One of the frequent costs to U.S. taxpayers is delivery of babies to illegal alien mothers. In 2007, 70 percent of the 2,300 babies born in San Joaquin General Hospital’s maternity ward were anchor babies. In California alone that was over 1.4 BILLION dollars. In Texas, the estimated cost was about $.85 billion, and in Arizona the comparable estimate was $.4 billion per year. I don't understand the thought process of you and your ilk who stand for this. I don't personally know you and you may be a nice person, but when I see senior citizens who have paid into the system for decades struggling to either pay for their meds or food I get extremly pissed. And for those of you who stand up for all the benefits illegals get I say why don't you pay for them and leave the rest of us and our wallets alone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 04:03 AM
 
344 posts, read 153,221 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
Califreeman, did you know that now substantially more than HALF of the annual budget for medi-cal is for anchor babies. One of the frequent costs to U.S. taxpayers is delivery of babies to illegal alien mothers. In 2007, 70 percent of the 2,300 babies born in San Joaquin General Hospitalís maternity ward were anchor babies. In California alone that was over 1.4 BILLION dollars. In Texas, the estimated cost was about $.85 billion, and in Arizona the comparable estimate was $.4 billion per year. I don't understand the thought process of you and your ilk who stand for this. I don't personally know you and you may be a nice person, but when I see senior citizens who have paid into the system for decades struggling to either pay for their meds or food I get extremly pissed. And for those of you who stand up for all the benefits illegals get I say why don't you pay for them and leave the rest of us and our wallets alone..
Wow, you got that off of FAIR. The same people that wrote SB 1070 in coordination with a private prison corporation in which FAIR's founder had a substantial investment in. With the issues surrounding that organization, it's best to say that they are not exactly noteworthy. They propogated the notion of swine flu coming from our borders (which never happened), an increase of terrorist babies (babies born to illegal immigrants in the US...we actually saw a massive decrease and, really "terrorist babies"?) as well as many ludicrous arguments.

If you want senior citizens to pass less on meds, try to expand on healthcare reform. Illegal immigrants don't make a large enough percentage of the population to really affect medication rates.

Are they a net drain...yes and no. Again, according to Dr. Borjas, they have a net drain on tax revenue but contributed to a 1% increase on wealth. It's this dichotomy that many don't pick up on.

It's interesting to go after the poorest segment of the population. Why not go after those proposing to siphon $700 billion to the rich (Bush's tax cuts), or why not go after the $1 trillion on defense and defense ancillary spending. There are other things (TARP misuse comes to mind). All in all, trillions are wasted by the top tier in society. Why not go after them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 AM
 
2,526 posts, read 2,315,674 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Wow, you got that off of FAIR. The same people that wrote SB 1070 in coordination with a private prison corporation in which FAIR's founder had a substantial investment in. With the issues surrounding that organization, it's best to say that they are not exactly noteworthy. They propogated the notion of swine flu coming from our borders (which never happened), an increase of terrorist babies (babies born to illegal immigrants in the US...we actually saw a massive decrease and, really "terrorist babies"?) as well as many ludicrous arguments.

If you want senior citizens to pass less on meds, try to expand on healthcare reform. Illegal immigrants don't make a large enough percentage of the population to really affect medication rates.

Are they a net drain...yes and no. Again, according to Dr. Borjas, they have a net drain on tax revenue but contributed to a 1% increase on wealth. It's this dichotomy that many don't pick up on.

It's interesting to go after the poorest segment of the population. Why not go after those proposing to siphon $700 billion to the rich (Bush's tax cuts), or why not go after the $1 trillion on defense and defense ancillary spending. There are other things (TARP misuse comes to mind). All in all, trillions are wasted by the top tier in society. Why not go after them?
Cal, wouldn't it be a lot easier for you to take your pay check each week and set up an account for the illegal migrants to draw from? Just use your own money, as much of it as you like, and continue to fund the account as often as you think the migrants are entitled to it. This way, you get to achieve your goals and the illegals will have the money they need! Trust me, they'll thank you for it. Perhaps even name a street in Mexico (or wherever) on your behalf. Just think of it: Blvd. Del Califreeman, running through the heart of the Zona Rosa...you'll be famous for generations to come!

Others, like myself, who do not wish to give their money and resources to the illegal migrants, will then be able to use, invest and apply those funds to their own families, their own children, their own grandchildren, their own needs, their own church, their own charity organizations, or however else God has led them, just like you.

There are plenty of people who share your ideals and applaud your efforts for the illegals. And I bet if you and they could put in just a little more overtime at work, there would be plenty of money to give. You might even want to start a charity organization on your newly named Blvd! Just as long as it's your money and not someone elses, OK? The illegal migrants deserve it, don't they? It's a human right that they have access to your money! Right? But why make them come across the border in search of it? Go to them my friend. Do not wait. Go today! Pack your things, and go now!

Don't you think this would make for a win, win, win situation? You'll achieve your goals, (you'll be living amongst your new found comrades in Mexico, or where ever your street is), the illegals will no longer need to come to my country, and I'll be able to take care of my family, my country and my needs. The world will be a wonderful place! Life is good!

Last edited by AlabamaStorm; 09-12-2010 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 585,659 times
Reputation: 293
That was beautiful AlabamaStorm. Califreeman if the illegals get just one dollar then that is one dollar less for the people who actually paid into the system, regardless of what B.S. you try to spin on it. Hell lets just cancel the military. There, that saved us a ton. And to say we are going after the poorest segment of the population is ludicrous. It is that they are here illegally and you know exactly what that means, please quit trying to make them look as if they are doing us a favor. So how about AlabamaStorm's brilliant idea? Get that going and I might even send you a dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
 
344 posts, read 153,221 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Cal, wouldn't it be a lot easier for you to take your pay check each week and set up an account for the illegal migrants to draw from? Just use your own money, as much of it as you like, and continue to fund the account as often as you think the migrants are entitled to it. This way, you get to achieve your goals and the illegals will have the money they need! Trust me, they'll thank you for it. Perhaps even name a street in Mexico (or wherever) on your behalf. Just think of it: Blvd. Del Califreeman, running through the heart of the Zona Rosa...you'll be famous for generations to come!

Others, like myself, who do not wish to give their money and resources to the illegal migrants, will then be able to use, invest and apply those funds to their own families, their own children, their own grandchildren, their own needs, their own church, their own charity organizations, or however else God has led them, just like you.

There are plenty of people who share your ideals and applaud your efforts for the illegals. And I bet if you and they could put in just a little more overtime at work, there would be plenty of money to give. You might even want to start a charity organization on your newly named Blvd! Just as long as it's your money and not someone elses, OK? The illegal migrants deserve it, don't they? It's a human right that they have access to your money! Right? But why make them come across the border in search of it? Go to them my friend. Do not wait. Go today! Pack your things, and go now!

Don't you think this would make for a win, win, win situation? You'll achieve your goals, (you'll be living amongst your new found comrades in Mexico, or where ever your street is), the illegals will no longer need to come to my country, and I'll be able to take care of my family, my country and my needs. The world will be a wonderful place! Life is good!
Emotional appeals are great and all, but reality still triumphs. Of course illegal immigration is a problem. It reduces funding to high immigrant areas (people aren't counted, thus overcrowding). It reduces tax revenue (about 45% of illegal immigrants don't pay taxes). But deportation isn't really a good idea. We've seen the effects on small communities. Just in direct deportation costs it's a staggering $100 billion. With lost sales tax, cost of employee replacement, etc. it would be more than double. It's simply not feasible in a down economy. The cost of deportation is greater than the cost of illegal immigration (which stands at $10 billion to the federal government CIS reports...FAIR reports $100 billion, but doesn't factor in contributions from illegal immigrants). I'm simply proposing that there is a better way than the current emotion based platforms I've seeing on here.

Really, I'm saying why don't we have reform in such a way that enables people to go on with their lives, but pay more taxes? Why don't we have a system that allows workers to work, students to study, etc, but deport hardened criminals? There is a middle ground, the debate isn't all or nothing. If you frame it in such stark terms, you actually create really bad policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top