U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 AM
 
344 posts, read 152,897 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
mkfarnam, I'm done with him. He proposes to KNOW what I have lived thru in my lifetime. He is PRO all the way. I'd like to propose we send all those huddled masses of border jumpers to his house and he can feed them and see to their medical, education and housing needs too.
Wow, lack of reading comprehension much? Sorry if the argument is a little harder for you to discern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2010, 03:47 AM
Yac
 
5,874 posts, read 6,290,826 times
Everybody calm down and at least try to be respectful or the thread will be closed and infractions will be issued.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Does anyone really believe that if our economy actually required these illegal aliens to make it thrive that our government wouldn't have increased the visas for LEGAL foreign workers? That is why the argument of a shortage of low skilled, low wage earners doesn't merit any credibility. It is all about the greed of the employers desiring illegal workers for cheap wages not a shortage of workers per se.

Some seem to think that we should appease these employers by allowing illegals to keep crossing our borders endlessly and therefore cutting out legal foreign workers or American for those jobs all in the name of economic growth. Why even have immigration laws then? In the meantime with open, porous borders to allow illegal workers in, criminals and terrorists are entering also but afterall it is all in the name of economic growth, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Does anyone really believe that if our economy actually required these illegal aliens to make it thrive that our government wouldn't have increased the visas for LEGAL foreign workers? That is why the argument of a shortage of low skilled, low wage earners doesn't merit any credibility. It is all about the greed of the employers desiring illegal workers for cheap wages not a shortage of workers per se.

Some seem to think that we should appease these employers by allowing illegals to keep crossing our borders endlessly and therefore cutting out legal foreign workers or American for those jobs all in the name of economic growth. Why even have immigration laws then? In the meantime with open, porous borders to allow illegal workers in, criminals and terrorists are entering also but afterall it is all in the name of economic growth, right?
Don't forget, illegal immigration,cheap labor and all that comes with it, is in an automatic "rewind" mode.
Once Amnesty takes place, illegals are no longer of use to employers, so to refresh their cheap labor pool, the invasion starts all over again.
So for those who think amnesty is the solution, you not putting 2X2 together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
 
344 posts, read 152,897 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Does anyone really believe that if our economy actually required these illegal aliens to make it thrive that our government wouldn't have increased the visas for LEGAL foreign workers? That is why the argument of a shortage of low skilled, low wage earners doesn't merit any credibility. It is all about the greed of the employers desiring illegal workers for cheap wages not a shortage of workers per se.

Some seem to think that we should appease these employers by allowing illegals to keep crossing our borders endlessly and therefore cutting out legal foreign workers or American for those jobs all in the name of economic growth. Why even have immigration laws then? In the meantime with open, porous borders to allow illegal workers in, criminals and terrorists are entering also but afterall it is all in the name of economic growth, right?
Is it possible that it would be political suicide to do so? I've seen your positions and read the same tired line of "importing poverty". Also the notion of "greedy employers" would be toxic. So we're in this quandary.

This is what happens when you allow emotional stances take over for public policy. You get poor policy. You get discussions of terrorists entering from Mexico (which hasn't happened...every 9/11 hijacker came via Kennedy of La Guardia, or LAX, or some another major international airport. Hell, the underwear bomber was completely legal. Most potential terrorists have lived here for a while...legally). This translates to the now infamous terrorist baby discussion on Capitol Hill. It's ridiculous.

Our system needs to temper both sides. With that said, one side needs to calm down to a rational level as to actually bring something to the table. I'm look at the side that proposed amending the 14th due to terrorist babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 10:51 AM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 584,741 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
terrorists entering from Mexico (which hasn't happened...every 9/11 hijacker came via Kennedy of La Guardia, or LAX, or some another major international airport.
You know this how? Let us in on your info cuz I gotta tell Homeland to look elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Is it possible that it would be political suicide to do so? I've seen your positions and read the same tired line of "importing poverty". Also the notion of "greedy employers" would be toxic. So we're in this quandary.

This is what happens when you allow emotional stances take over for public policy. You get poor policy. You get discussions of terrorists entering from Mexico (which hasn't happened...every 9/11 hijacker came via Kennedy of La Guardia, or LAX, or some another major international airport. Hell, the underwear bomber was completely legal. Most potential terrorists have lived here for a while...legally). This translates to the now infamous terrorist baby discussion on Capitol Hill. It's ridiculous.

Our system needs to temper both sides. With that said, one side needs to calm down to a rational level as to actually bring something to the table. I'm look at the side that proposed amending the 14th due to terrorist babies.
You didn't answer a single one of my questions from my post you quoted. Why am I not surprised?

The FBI Director himself said that there are those from known terrorist countries that have entered illegally from our southern border and disappeared into our country. Just because so far terrorists have mostly entered by plane doesn't mean that will always be their method of entry. The fact that at least 12 million illegals have managed to get through our southern border undetected should be cause for concern that the terrrorist and criminal element are also entering. Surely you aren't that naive?

The 14th should be amended because it is being misinterpreted and it doesn't make sense to grant birthright citizenship to babies born from illegal alien parents. The story about terrorist babies was proposed because since the parents have no allegience to this country they might instill that same disloyalty and in some cases resentment of this country in their anchor babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
 
Location: California
884 posts, read 584,741 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You didn't answer a single one of my questions from my post you quoted. Why am I not surprised?

The FBI Director himself said that there are those from known terrorist countries that have entered illegally from our southern border and disappeared into our country. Just because so far terrorists have mostly entered by plane doesn't mean that will always be their method of entry. The fact that at least 12 million illegals have managed to get through our southern border undetected should be cause for concern that the terrrorist and criminal element are also entering. Surely you aren't that naive?

Agree with above statement and let me add that if those from Mexico can come across with no money and just the clothes on their back, what could a terrorist cell do with all the financial support they have ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM
 
344 posts, read 152,897 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvmycountry View Post
You know this how? Let us in on your info cuz I gotta tell Homeland to look elsewhere.
It's common knowledge that the 9/11 terrorists came via legal means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM
 
344 posts, read 152,897 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You didn't answer a single one of my questions from my post you quoted. Why am I not surprised?

The FBI Director himself said that there are those from known terrorist countries that have entered illegally from our southern border and disappeared into our country. Just because so far terrorists have mostly entered by plane doesn't mean that will always be their method of entry. The fact that at least 12 million illegals have managed to get through our southern border undetected should be cause for concern that the terrrorist and criminal element are also entering. Surely you aren't that naive?

The 14th should be amended because it is being misinterpreted and it doesn't make sense to grant birthright citizenship to babies born from illegal alien parents. The story about terrorist babies was proposed because since the parents have no allegience to this country they might instill that same disloyalty and in some cases resentment of this country in their anchor babies.
The questions were poorly posed. Your questions are too leading and thinly veiled. You want reaffirmation of your stance or to pick a fight. That's why I didn't answer. I disagree, nor do I really want to fight you.

Actually, we know on VERY good authority and historical precedent that terrorists don't come via Mexico to the US overland. They will have a visa. It's naive to think that terrorism will be solved by closing the southern border. It's beyond naive. It's poor policy.

The argument that was presented was terror babies. It's a very flawed and disturbing argument. It's disturbing because people actually believe this is a legitimate thing. It's not. It makes us look like the laughing stock of the world when that is a real national discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top