U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,085,714 times

Advertisements

it does not work because there is no reciprocal relationship.

the US finds a benefit in having these people here. thus the US has done little historically to curb ill immig. if the birds were building a deck for the guy to enjoy, maybe the analaogy would work.

it doesnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It’s an excellent analogy. The U.S. is a giant bird feeder for Mexico’s underclass. Eliminate the freebies, and we will see a tremendous reduction in illegals. Contrary to pro-illegal propaganda, they are not all here to work, as evidenced by the billions of tax dollars being squandered annually on illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,164,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

the US finds a benefit in having these people here. thus the US has done little historically to curb ill immig. if the birds were building a deck for the guy to enjoy, maybe the analaogy would work.

it doesnt.
The U.S.? You mean the corrupt politicians who are making sure their corporate buddies have enough cheap illegal labor? Illegal immigration doesn't benefit the little guy that makes up the majority of Americans.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times
Quote:

it doesnt.
You are assuming they are all here working, and that the average citizen benefits from their work. According to the latest estimates, 8 million are employed. How they arrived at this figure is anyone’s guess. In any case, if 8 million are employed, and 20+ million are here, how do the remaining 12+ million survive? Surely they’re not all children.

Furthermore, why are taxpayers spending billions annually to support them? That’s certainly not my idea of a reciprocal relationship.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM

8 million who are unemployed and 20million+ who are here?

Quote:
You are assuming they are all here working, and that the average citizen benefits from their work. According to the latest estimates, 8 million are employed. How they arrived at this figure is anyone’s guess. In any case, if 8 million are employed, and 20+ million are here, how do the remaining 12+ million survive? Surely they’re not all children.

Furthermore, why are taxpayers spending billions annually to support them? That’s certainly not my idea of a reciprocal relationship.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:55 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,831,384 times
Quote:
8 million who are unemployed and 20million+ who are here?
Find your glasses, and then re-read my post below.

Quote:

Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM

so you are saying 8 million illegals are employed? oh ok, so that leaves 3 million unemployed. (latest estimates are 11 million illegals in the US)

ya, those could be the children.

Quote:
Find your glasses, and then re-read my post below.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,229,574 times
Quote:
so you are saying 8 million illegals are employed? oh ok, so that leaves 3 million unemployed. (latest estimates are 11 million illegals in the US)

ya, those could be the children.
Update you estimate. 11 million was the estimate in the 80's. The illegal immigrant population hasn't declined.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:15 PM

open a news paper.

Illegal immigration down dramatically - Washington Times

X's 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Update you estimate. 11 million was the estimate in the 80's. The illegal immigrant population hasn't declined.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,576,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
So..... You never told us your reason for being sympathetic to illegal immigration. Or maybe you did on some errant post and I just missed it.
This question was originally geared towards TheOne, yet I am the only one who has not received a response

Quote:

In addition to that, 90% of the money earned by them gets sent back to Mexico and boosts their economy. No wonder Calderon has no problem with the majority of his country wanting to come to the U.S. It's a win-win for the upper class in Mexico. And the same for every other South/Central American president that wants to come here and talk sh*t about our immigration policy and opening our borders to take in their poor.

As far as the analogy goes, this is the equivalent of the birds lifting the entire bird feeder off the tree and flying it back to the nest. Then the homeowner just puts up another feeder thinking someone stole it, and it just happens again... and again.... and again.... get the picture!

Old 09-02-2010, 06:31 PM

keeping up with everyones responses is tiring. do excuse my lapse.

"So..... You never told us your reason for being sympathetic to illegal immigration. Or maybe you did on some errant post and I just missed it."

you are assuming. whether i am sympathetic to IA's or not has little to do with being able to deconstruct any dubious analagy (the topic of this thread).

satisfied?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
This question was originally geared towards TheOne, yet I am the only one who has not received a response
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration