Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
JD. JD. started this thread

199 posts, read 486,678 times

Advertisements

Here is the list (call to thank your Senators if they did the right thing):

Fun Fact: Brownback actually voted YEA but when he saw that the procedural vote would fail, he switched. Yes folks, he did the Amnesty 2-step.

YEAs ---46 <---Amnesty Senators
Akaka (D-HI)
Bennett (R-UT)
Biden (D-DE)
Boxer (D-CA)
Cantwell (D-WA)
Cardin (D-MD)
Carper (D-DE)
Casey (D-PA)
Clinton (D-NY)
Conrad (D-ND)
Craig (R-ID)
Dodd (D-CT)
Durbin (D-IL)
Feingold (D-WI)
Feinstein (D-CA)
Graham (R-SC)
Gregg (R-NH)
Hagel (R-NE)
Inouye (D-HI)
Kennedy (D-MA)
Kerry (D-MA)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Kohl (D-WI)
Kyl (R-AZ)
Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Leahy (D-VT)
Levin (D-MI)
Lieberman (ID-CT)
Lincoln (D-AR)
Lott (R-MS)
Lugar (R-IN)
Martinez (R-FL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Menendez (D-NJ)
Mikulski (D-MD)
Murray (D-WA)
Nelson (D-FL)
Obama (D-IL)
Reed (D-RI)
Reid (D-NV)
Salazar (D-CO)
Schumer (D-NY)
Snowe (R-ME)
Specter (R-PA)
Whitehouse (D-RI)
Wyden (D-OR)

NAYs ---53
Alexander (R-TN)
Allard (R-CO)
Barrasso (R-WY)
Baucus (D-MT)
Bayh (D-IN)
Bingaman (D-NM)
Bond (R-MO)
Brown (D-OH)
Brownback (R-KS)
Bunning (R-KY)
Burr (R-NC)
Byrd (D-WV)
Chambliss (R-GA)
Coburn (R-OK)
Cochran (R-MS)
Coleman (R-MN)
Collins (R-ME)
Corker (R-TN)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Crapo (R-ID)
DeMint (R-SC)
Dole (R-NC)
Domenici (R-NM)
Dorgan (D-ND)
Ensign (R-NV)
Enzi (R-WY)
Grassley (R-IA)
Harkin (D-IA)
Hatch (R-UT)
Hutchison (R-TX)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Isakson (R-GA)
Landrieu (D-LA)
McCaskill (D-MO)
McConnell (R-KY)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Nelson (D-NE)
Pryor (D-AR)
Roberts (R-KS)
Rockefeller (D-WV)
Sanders (I-VT)
Sessions (R-AL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Smith (R-OR)
Stabenow (D-MI)
Stevens (R-AK)
Sununu (R-NH)
Tester (D-MT)
Thune (R-SD)
Vitter (R-LA)
Voinovich (R-OH)
Warner (R-VA)
Webb (D-VA)

Not Voting - 1
Johnson (D-SD) <---Still recovering from stroke.

The following is from Noam Askew's blog: Day In, Day Out

Perhaps the most notable switchers were Brown and Harkin: I've been wondering if Brown might be on the fence, but Harkin didn't seem to be on too many people's lists of potential switchers (I think...). Voinovich had always backed cloture before, but now he's switched. Another notable switch is McConnell: could that switch be an attempt to ingratiate himself with potentially disaffected Republican senators?

So there was a net gain of one vote for cloture in the time between the 6/7 cloture and today's cloture. How did that happen? Bennett, Craig, Gregg, Kyl, Lott, and Snowe (all R's) all voted against cloture on 6/7 but then voted for it today. So that's a gain of 6 for cloture. But the following 5 senators switched from favoring cloture on 6/7 to opposing cloture today: Bayh, Brown, Harkin, Stabenow, and Voinovich. These anti-cloture switchers include 4 D's and 1 R (Voinovich).
Ultimately, these vote switchers and the overall vote totals show an interesting disruption of conventional partisan breakdowns. A Republican president allied with some of the leading Democrats (e.g. Kennedy) in the US Senate to try to support this bill. The Republican whip (Lott) backed this cloture motion, but the Republican leader (McConnell), though seeming to back much of this "grand bargain," ultimately moved against cloture. While the coalition against cloture ultimately included more Republicans than Democrats, it does seem that opposition to cloture was ultimately bi-partisan (or even multi-partisan), linking together Independent Bernard Sanders, Democrat Sherrod Brown, and Republican Jeff Sessions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still waiting to hear how Bush and his Amnesty champions react to this body-blow.

UPDATE 12:38 PM EST:

President Bush reacts to failed immigration bill, didn't have much to say, he looked sad, too bad.

"I am dissappointed."

"The Congress needs to prove to the American people that it can come together on tough issues."

That was lame, I was hoping he would at least cry and bang his fists on the ground. Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,436,927 times
Oh! I'm surprised that Voinovich voted "nay". I knew there was still hope for Brown though. I'm sure Voinovich's switch was purely political.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,731,911 times
Mr. Bush - We'll see you at the bill's funeral.....Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM

2,434 posts, read 6,665,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Mr. Bush - We'll see you at the bill's funeral.....Bwa ha ha ha ha!!!
Post of the day!!!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:44 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,731,911 times
Thank you, thank you very much....

Old 06-28-2007, 04:30 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,413,999 times
I know McConnell of KY who is up for re election was being blasted with called after his first "yes" vote ... perhaps he fears for his job.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,840,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I know McConnell of KY who is up for re election was being blasted with called after his first "yes" vote ... perhaps he fears for his job.
Hah! I hope they all do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration