U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 09:52 PM
JD. JD. started this thread

198 posts, read 433,526 times

Advertisements

The following is a excerpt from well-known economist George Borja's blog:
The Borjas Blog: Kill Bill, Part 2 (http://borjas.typepad.com/the_borjas_blog/2007/06/kill-bill-part-.html - broken link)

The President bet all his remaining political capital on a proposal he knew would tear his party apart. And the Senate came close to enacting very bad policy. It really makes me wonder: what the heck were they thinking?

There’s something else worth pointing out. Here’s a policy shift–amnesty and guest workers–that the entire political establishment as well as much of the mainstream media and academic elite wanted badly. It is seldom the case that something that the powers-that-be want so much fails to make it through. I am pretty sure there’s a lesson in there somewhere. And the tactics used by the bill’s opponents to fight the establishment’s power and to weaken their control over key junctures in the information flow will provide lots of case studies that will be studied far into the future. No “Mission Accomplished” banners this time around.

Does this end the debate over immigration? No.

Why? Because our immigration system is truly broken.

Regardless of what happened at the Senate today, there are still 12 million illegal immigrants living in the country, and that number is increasing at the rate of about half-a-million a year. And there’s no longer any need for the Bush administration to keep playing the charade of “more enforcement” that received wide media attention in the past few months. The economic and social dislocations caused by illegal immigration are not going to disappear simply because the issue is no longer in the political headlights.

Combine this with a legal immigration system that admits about 1 million immigrants a year–most of which tend to be low-skill workers. The economic pressures that both legal and illegal immigrants put on the low-skill labor market are severe, and have been ignored for years. I suspect that the immigration “problem” would have been long resolved had the labor markets for high-skill workers–say, for example, journalists and attorneys–faced the same pressures as those faced by low-educated workers.

The debate is not yet settled. The Bush administration made a fundamental error of judgment by pushing this proposal so forcefully despite the fact that its detractors had valid doubts and were not bigots. For those of us who supported Bush in the past, such a misjudgment raises many doubts about the rest of the Bush legacy. Maybe those who faulted the Bush manner of governing--its arrogance, its lack of intellectual curiosity, and its obsession with having its way regardless of inconvenient facts--were right after all.

Now that the debate is over, perhaps we can return some sanity and honesty into the intellectual discussion of what immigration does to the United States…
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The paragraph in bold was one that stuck out to me as a true summary of Bush's legacy on the immigration issue, not the one he was looking for but the one that he got. Mr. Borjas is right, this debate is far from over, we need to keep an eye on the Senate in the years to come (it's going to take a while for this one to simmer down). I wouldn't be suprised if next year or in 2009, they don't try a 'Grand Bargain' but another approach. Piece-meal amnesty being shoved through bit by bit. I'll be keeping an eye out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 AM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
Agreed, this isn't dead by a long shot. It's just on the back burner until it's convenient to bring it up again. Perhaps next time in the House.

I just have a scary feeling Bush may try to do something stupid with an executive order before he leaves office.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,346,148 times
Immigration reform has been brought up nearly every year of this administration. It's not going to to away. Now, if they would like to propose some sensible solutions to the problems I would be willing to consider them. But, as long as they continue to propse amnesty I'll fight then tooth and nail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or