Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:08 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,312,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Sorry what the Mexicans chose to recognize today has nothing to do with what they may not chose to recognize tomorrow. YOu are trying to base US law on what another nation may or may not do. I would suggest that is a no no.

We are changing the Constitution. That is the whole purpose of this exercise.

But you are prepared to deny the children of Mexican nationals US citizenship which may leave them with none...so that can't bother you much. Don't tell me you want me to trust the Mexican government to "do the right thing".

There is no requirement that you be a citizen to be in the US. Entirely different things. There are a number of people who are not US citizens who have every right to reside here. There is no requirement that you be a citizen of some nation. In fact you have been quite willing to make children born in the US the citizen of none.

Speaking of lunatics...do you have the faintest idea how any of this actual works? And patriot? What on earth has this to do with patriot? We are talking about cutting loose the junk...the worthless. YOu think keeping them is patriotic? Do you believe McVeigh struck a blow for freedom or such?

Odd people on these lists sometimes.
You want children of illegal aliens born on our soil to be granted birthright citizenship but you would deny the offspring of citizens that same right if one parent happened to be a felon? You also want these same offspring to be denied birthright citizenship pending on some future qualifying criteria but you want children of illegal parents to be granted birthright citizenship?

I really don't care what Mexico does in the future in regards to their illegal nationals living here and giving birth on our soil. I only care about this country and our rightful citizens.

I never said that there weren't legal immigrants in this country so why are you bringing them up? This forum is about ILLEGAL immigration so try and stay on topic please.

You're the one who mentioned the word patriot or patriotic, not me. I merely said I disagreed that it would be patriotric to deny the offspring of citizens their birthright citizenship.

Crimes that a citizen commits has nothing to do with their right to birthright citizenship. McVeigh wasn't born a domestic terrorist.

I am done with this and with you on this subject. Far lefty liberals make no sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You want children of illegal aliens born on our soil to be granted birthright citizenship but you would deny the offspring of citizens that same right if one parent happened to be a felon? You also want these same offspring to be denied birthright citizenship pending on some future qualifying criteria but you want children of illegal parents to be granted birthright citizenship?
I did not deny anybody anything. I am simple helping you as you redo the 14th amendment. I don't actually think that is going to happen but I do want all to understand how we improve the whole society rather than fix one minor problem. And I would think that the children we would not want as citizen are far more likely those of felons as opposed to those of illegal aliens. Get rid of the young ones that will cause the problems...not the ones that won't.

Quote:
I really don't care what Mexico does in the future in regards to their illegal nationals living here and giving birth on our soil. I only care about this country and our rightful citizens.
But you seriously propose that those who would be legal US citizens be thrown into what may be a stateless state. We have no control over Mexico...and no way to compel them to provide citizenship to those born on our soil. You apparently feel it would be bad to dump the children if the parents are felons...but OK if they are illegal aliens. I think that pretty silly.

Quote:
I never said that there weren't legal immigrants in this country so why are you bringing them up? This forum is about ILLEGAL immigration so try and stay on topic please.
As I said you don't understand. I never brought up any kind of immigrant.

Quote:
You're the one who mentioned the word patriot or patriotic, not me. I merely said I disagreed that it would be patriotric to deny the offspring of citizens their birthright citizenship.
What you said was...

Quote:
No true American patriot would even suggest such lunacy.
So you introduced patriot in a silly way.

Quote:
Crimes that a citizen commits has nothing to do with their right to birthright citizenship. McVeigh wasn't born a domestic terrorist.

I am done with this and with you on this subject. Far lefty liberals make no sense to me.
Why not? I can think of few things that might more fairly effect citizenship.

I am glad you are done. I am not particularly liberal but it is very hard to lower the discourse to a level that will be understood by you and your ilk...very hard.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 AM

"But you seriously propose that those who would be legal US citizens be thrown into what may be a stateless state. We have no control over Mexico...and no way to compel them to provide citizenship to those born on our soil. You apparently feel it would be bad to dump the children if the parents are felons...but OK if they are illegal aliens. I think that pretty silly".

No, YOU said the above statements, not me! You don't even recognize what YOU yourself wrote and then claim that I wrote it? What kind of alternate universe do you live in to twist your own words to be mine?

So if a child has a citizen felon for a parent that automatically means they will be felons also? Are you for real? (insert rolling eyes here).

Old 09-07-2010, 08:10 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
We disagree. I favor citizenship for those who will be good citizens. Those who won't don't get the paper. I see nothing in being an American citizen that makes your kid a good one. Going to fix the problem let us do it right.

Felons are disenfranchised. They lose the right of citizenship when convicted. If the citizenship of a child flows from the citizenship of the parent should not the child lose the benefit of citizenship if the one holding it is deprived of the benefits? I would certainly think the children of felons would be prime candidates if we wish to discourage undesirable children from obtaining citizenship.
Quote:
We disagree.
Who's "We"?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
His grandparents RENOUNCED their US Citizenship to go to Mexico and Practice Polygamy. They must have got it right because they returned with little George (Mitts father) in tow. Since they had RENOUNCED their Citizenship they were here illegally. It seems that makes Mitt the very people you want to strip of their citizenship
We have to draw a line. We cannot renounce those already here. What we can do is enforce it going forward. If ol Mitt of the future falls into that category so be it. Usually those wealthy or intelligent enough to become a boon to our population find a way to become a legal citizen.

We have population quotas. We cannot substain out of CONTROL immigration, especially criminal immigration. The kids don't get a free pass because their Parents are criminals or just plain stupid. We cannot hold up a child and tell whether they are the next Obama or not so we have to treat them equally.

I believe those that want this scourge here should have to declare it on a tax return and an additional 10-15% should be deducted from their income to cover the costs we as a Society inherit unfairly. Of course, the biggest percentage of people wanting it unchanged don't pay tax on income anyway. We at least could hit some Corporations with it.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
His grandparents RENOUNCED their US Citizenship to go to Mexico and Practice Polygamy. They must have got it right because they returned with little George (Mitts father) in tow. Since they had RENOUNCED their Citizenship they were here illegally. It seems that makes Mitt the very people you want to strip of their citizenship
From Wiki:

George Romney (Mitt's father) was born to American parents in the Mormon colonies in Mexico; events during the Mexican Revolution forced his family to move back to the United States when he was a child.

If Mitt's parents are being referred to as Americans then they couldn't have renounced their American citizenship and therefore didn't come back to this country illegally. If you have a link that states that George Romney and his wife renounced their U.S. citizenship and then returned here illegally please provide it in here.

We aren't seeking to strip anyone of their U.S. citizenship who already have it. What we want is the birthright citizenship clause to be re-interpreted so that a child born on our soil has to have at least one legal/citizen parent in order for their child to gain birthright citizenship. It would only affect future births after the law has been changed.

Just found this in Wiki also:

His Mormon grandfather and his three wives fled to Mexico in 1886, but none of them ever relinquished their citizenship. While the Constitution does provide that a president must be a natural born citizen, the first Congress of the United States in 1790 passed legislation stating: "The children of citizens of the United States that may be born beyond the sea, or outside the limits of the United States, shall be considered as natural-born citizens of the United States."

Last edited by chicagonut; 09-07-2010 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 08:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
You keep telling that same lie over and over and over again. Please don't let the facts get in your way.

George Romney (Mitt's Father) was born to American parents in the Mormon colonies located in Mexico in 1907. He returned to the US in late 1928 at the age of 21. He married Lenore LaFount in Salt Lake City in 1931. Lenore LaFount was born in Logan, Utah to American parents.

After George Romney and Lenore LaFount married in SLC, Utah in 1931 they had 4 children. Mitt Romney was child #4, born in 1947 in Detroit, Michigan.

So, if his Grandparents were legal Americans, and his parents were legal Americans, and he IS a legal Amercian -- how is it that this legal American would be deported to Mexico?

Romney's parents DID NOT RENOUNCE their US citizenship. STOP telling LIES! Please look up the FACTS!!!

If you read my post, I wrote ROMEYS GRANPARENTS RENOUNCED THIER CITIZENSHIP. That means George was a Citizen of Mexico when he was born. I see no record that either George or his parents were naturalized.

Reading is basic

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,420,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
From Wiki:

George Romney (Mitt's father) was born to American parents in the Mormon colonies in Mexico; events during the Mexican Revolution forced his family to move back to the United States when he was a child.

If Mitt's parents are being referred to as Americans then they couldn't have renounced their American citizenship and therefore didn't come back to this country illegally. If you have a link that states that George Romney and his wife renounced their U.S. citizenship and then returned here illegally please provide it in here.

Quote:
We aren't seeking to strip anyone of their U.S. citizenship who already have it. What we want is the birthright citizenship clause to be re-interpreted so that a child born on our soil has to have at least one legal/citizen parent in order for their child to gain birthright citizenship. It would only affect future births after the law has been changed.
And the birthright citizenship for those with only one Legal and one illegal parent should be
temperary or renewable every 10 years until the age of 18.
If the anchor baby is raised to be unAmerican,or they don't meet requirements, their citizenship should not be renewed or they're denied full citizenship.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If you read my post, I wrote ROMEYS GRANPARENTS RENOUNCED THIER CITIZENSHIP. That means George was a Citizen of Mexico when he was born. I see no record that either George or his parents were naturalized.

Reading is basic
Link please.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
this is small change compared to the CA medical deficit mostly caused by immigrants. approximately equal to our state budget deficit. CA is rapidly becoming a welfare state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration