U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 AM
 
Location: square thing with a roof
894 posts, read 953,382 times
Reputation: 773

Advertisements

I don't understand why it should be wrong or illegal for an employer to know the immigration status of a potential employee during the application process. Knowing this information from the very beginning would help a lot of businesses avoid hiring illegals.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On one hand Obama said that Govt. will punish businesses that hire illegals and now he's saying the business can be fined if they ask for a green card to know the legal immigration status of an applicant prior to making the mistake of hiring an illegal. Sure doesn't make it easy for employers, does it?

What is Obama ... the Jekyll Hyde President now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,260,652 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
I don't understand why it should be wrong or illegal for an employer to know the immigration status of a potential employee during the application process. Knowing this information from the very beginning would help a lot of businesses avoid hiring illegals.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On one hand Obama said that Govt. will punish businesses that hire illegals and now he's saying the business can be fined if they ask for a green card to know the legal immigration status of an applicant prior to making the mistake of hiring an illegal. Sure doesn't make it easy for employers, does it?

What is Obama ... the Jekyll Hyde President now?
Political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,989,067 times
Reputation: 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
I don't understand why it should be wrong or illegal for an employer to know the immigration status of a potential employee during the application process. Knowing this information from the very beginning would help a lot of businesses avoid hiring illegals.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

On one hand Obama said that Govt. will punish businesses that hire illegals and now he's saying the business can be fined if they ask for a green card to know the legal immigration status of an applicant prior to making the mistake of hiring an illegal. Sure doesn't make it easy for employers, does it?

What is Obama ... the Jekyll Hyde President now?

Once the applicant is HIRED they can fill out the I-9 - if at THAT point they cannot produce documentation to VERIFY their status they can be terminated with NO PENALTY to the employer.

If the employer wants to verify PRIOR to hiring then they need to ask EVERY applicant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,924,847 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
That I have no problem with - as required I DO carry it with me.......

A POTENTIAL employer however has no right or need to see it.
EMPLOYMENT IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS The Immigration Reform and Control Act, 1986 - Public Law 99-603 requires all employers to verify proof of identity and employment eligibility through proper identification Any employee hired after November 6, 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,989,067 times
Reputation: 3084

As I said - AFTER employment, not at the application level.

I'm a legal immigrant AND I've worked in HR/Payroll - I'm WELL aware of the laws, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,924,847 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
It should be assumed that a person has the right to work in the USA - the I-9 is to VERIFY that. It should also be assumed that the employee is AWARE they need to be legally able to work in this country. It's not rocket science.

Personally I think the whole "issue" is a storm in a teacup frankly.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ah719/ah719f.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,924,847 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
As I said - AFTER employment, not at the application level.

I'm a legal immigrant AND I've worked in HR/Payroll - I'm WELL aware of the laws, thank you.
You said "A POTENTIAL employer however has no right or need to see it."
You are wrong...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 10,989,067 times
Reputation: 3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You said "A POTENTIAL employer however has no right or need to see it."
You are wrong...
No, I'm NOT - they have no NEED to verify my immigration status or my eligibility to work in the USA until AFTER they hire me. Prior to that it should be assumed that I am aware I need to have that piece of documentation.

It's only the influx of illegals that assume they have the RIGHT to work wherever they choose that has caused this assumption to be false.

Anyway - I'm done here - the law is the law as written NOT how you would like it to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
 
8,649 posts, read 14,924,847 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
No, I'm NOT - they have no NEED to verify my immigration status or my eligibility to work in the USA until AFTER they hire me. Prior to that it should be assumed that I am aware I need to have that piece of documentation.

It's only the influx of illegals that assume they have the RIGHT to work wherever they choose that has caused this assumption to be false.

Anyway - I'm done here - the law is the law as written NOT how you would like it to read.
Show me where it says an employer can only ask after you are hired.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top