U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:20 PM

233 posts, read 389,677 times

Advertisements

After having personal experience being replaced by illegals who do my job for less than half of my pay, my treatment of those that hire illegals would be much stiffer than the average American would impose. I've seen my pay go from $14 an hour with benefits (30 years experience) to now I am lucky if I can get anything paying $7 and I have always had a great work reputation, however because I am not going to work a 12 hour shift over a stove without a break and I stand up if the rest of the staff is being abused it is much better for employers to have a labor force that will do anything they are told. They don't have to pay taxes or insurance on them, they can abuse them all they want (after all who is the illegal going to complain to) and take unfair advantage of them because of their fear of authority. These employers like to sing the "I'm helping the poor immigrant" tune instead of standing up and admitting "I like higher profits, I like having power over these people and the government has no right to tell me what to do or make me pay into SS or insure these people because they are so far below me in social standing" Others delude themselves by saying they are only doing the jobs Americans won't do.............well maybe Americans don't like picking crops but they will if thats all there is out there, they will ask for a fair wage however, but that again will cut into the business profits. This is all about the money and peoples greed for it, to delude themselves that these employers are doing good for these people is irrational, they are out for themselves and higher profits and the hell with Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 08:12 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,348 times
Default No

No Amnesty! No Guest Worker Programs! No Path
to Citizenship! No Green Card Increases! No Free Education! No Free
Health Care! No Welfare! No Food Stamps! No Section 8 Housing! No
Anchor Babies! Secure Our Borders Now! Enforce America's Laws!

Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,757 times
Angry Stop Hiring Illegal Immigrants

I work for DeMoulas Market Basket, and I know first hand they hire Illegals, they also tell them how to change their names etc.. These illegals make the same pay and get the same benefits a US citizen would get. So, this company is not hiring to save money, for some reason they don't like to hire US citizens.. this is sad..

Old 08-10-2007, 12:30 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamreportingittoday View Post
I work for DeMoulas Market Basket, and I know first hand they hire Illegals, they also tell them how to change their names etc.. These illegals make the same pay and get the same benefits a US citizen would get. So, this company is not hiring to save money, for some reason they don't like to hire US citizens.. this is sad..

But by hiring illegals they are contributing to lowering the entry level wages paid. They may pay illegals the same wages as US citizens, but if you take the 20 million illegals out of the economy the demand for labor increases and so do wages.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:47 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,036,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamreportingittoday View Post
If you know this to be true, Report the company and report the company now

Old 08-10-2007, 02:15 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,697,700 times
Default we are not protected

Ummm it seems to me that there are MANY more illegals being let go for tons of crimes from murder, rape and drugs because they are illegal and cant be prosecuted for one reason or another relating to their illegal status. Americans cant do this now can they.

This is just another way to make it seem like the American worker is the issue and not the illegal. This is called take focus off yourself.

If someone robs a bank, do we let the person go and then say "now how can we make the bank more unattractive to a criminal".

The problem is that they are illegal, the problem is not that there are other problems in this country.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:41 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,687,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
How do we make it more attractive to employ Americans than it is to employ illegal aliens and pay under the table?
1. Seal the border.
2. Allow documented immigration into the US in numbers tied to the rate of economic expansion. If unemployment goes up, immigration numbers are cut back. Only those with no criminal background who can hold down jobs that keep them above the poverty level (and their kids/spouse) may immigrate.
3. Legalize illegal laborers with no criminal records who can prove they can hold down a job as in (2).
4. Deport all others.

1&2 will eliminate the influx of illegals. Those who can work may immigrate.

2&3 will eliminate the ability of employers to pay untaxed low wages with no benefits.

4 will remove the criminal element or at least make it easier to target--if you didn't get documented (3) it's probably because you have a bad background.

Legalizing all aliens will let them organize for fair pay and benefits, bring them into the tax system, and make them no more employable than any US Citizen.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:34 AM

54 posts, read 102,774 times
Default See "Plyler v Doe"

When you discuss any issue with immigration, you must consider the education situation. I was wondering why we have so many openly illegal students at the school where I work. Why isn't ICE here? Well, here's why: the 1982 Supreme Court ruling of Plyler v Doe. Please see this link:
http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/09undocumentedchildren.pdf (broken link)

When you put professional employees (like teachers) in a position where we must turn a blind eye to illegal activity, you create a very dangerous-- not to mention self-defeating--situation. Why should illegal immigrants stop coming here, when they know that they will have a safe and protected place to send their children?

On the one hand, I get that life is hard in some other countries, and most illegal immigrants are looking for a way out, a better life. I wish we could provide a good life to ALL people. I am sympathetic to their plight.

But on the other hand, life is hard HERE, and getting harder all the time! I need to look out for myself, my husband, our kids, my friends and neighbors, and also all the LEGAL immigrants who followed the rules and are still waiting for what ILLEGAL immigrants are simply taking without paying for. For the Supreme Court to tell us that we have to allow illegal immigrants to be here for education is simply not fair. People who take from the system without putting back into it create a financial mess. And it is going to lead to some very big problems. In fact, look around. It already has.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goobersmoochers View Post
When you discuss any issue with immigration, you must consider the education situation. I was wondering why we have so many openly illegal students at the school where I work. Why isn't ICE here? Well, here's why: the 1982 Supreme Court ruling of Plyler v Doe. Please see this link:
http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/09undocumentedchildren.pdf (broken link)

When you put professional employees (like teachers) in a position where we must turn a blind eye to illegal activity, you create a very dangerous-- not to mention self-defeating--situation. Why should illegal immigrants stop coming here, when they know that they will have a safe and protected place to send their children?

On the one hand, I get that life is hard in some other countries, and most illegal immigrants are looking for a way out, a better life. I wish we could provide a good life to ALL people. I am sympathetic to their plight.

But on the other hand, life is hard HERE, and getting harder all the time! I need to look out for myself, my husband, our kids, my friends and neighbors, and also all the LEGAL immigrants who followed the rules and are still waiting for what ILLEGAL immigrants are simply taking without paying for. For the Supreme Court to tell us that we have to allow illegal immigrants to be here for education is simply not fair. People who take from the system without putting back into it create a financial mess. And it is going to lead to some very big problems. In fact, look around. It already has.
I couldn’t agree more. It is total insanity to offer a tax-funded K-12 education to anyone who manages to circumvent our laws. If we must provide illegals with an education, they should be required to pay for each child enrolled in our schools. As long as they are illegally in this country, they should not be eligible for ANY tax-funded benefits.

Quote:
Educating a public school student in the Washington, D.C., region costs taxpayers about 45 percent more than it did in 2002, according to district budget figures, with that robust influx of dollars funding only modest gains in student performance.

The region's per-student expenditure was about $14,240 in 2009, using comparable numbers from D.C. Public Schools, Montgomery and Prince George's county schools, and Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria City schools. In 2002, it was about $9,800.
Taxpayer cost per student soars in region | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Taxpayer-cost-per-student-soars-in-region-8055773-52310762.html - broken link)

Old 10-26-2009, 05:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,443,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
It is a gross exaggeration that illegals are just filling the jobs Americans don't want. Otherwise, legitimate employers wouldn't have to verify employees' Social Security numbers, drivers licenses, etc. There are legitimate companies that have to pay their legal employees to verify documentation because of the illegals who are buying their identity cards to get jobs, trying to fool the legitimate employers into hiring them.

Once again, it is the law abiding citizens who are paying the price for this country's refusal to enforce our immigration laws. IMHO, it is so illogical that legitimate employers have to be the immigration police when our government refuses to, so to those employers who have to spend the money, time and resources trying to keep illegals off your payrolls, my hat is off to you!
This is why we need a worker permit system like they have in Canada.. NO permit= no work and the permit cant be fAKED. This has worked for many years in CANADA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or