Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM

767 posts, read 489,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You're wrong actually - there are THREE states that will issue DL to illegals and I know that WA state doesn't even require proof of residency anymore.

FTR the states are NM, UT and WA
Furthermore, thanks for a federal judge, Arizona LE no longer have the right to ask you for proof of citizenship. You can refuse to provide proof of citizenship. They can arrest you on other charges, but not under the auspice of being here illegally. In another words, cops can arrest you for not having a license to operate a motor vehicle, but they cannot legally demand to see proof of citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Furthermore, thanks for a federal judge, Arizona LE no longer have the right to ask you for proof of citizenship. You can refuse to provide proof of citizenship. They can arrest you on other charges, but not under the auspice of being here illegally. In another words, cops can arrest you for not having a license to operate a motor vehicle, but they cannot legally demand to see proof of citizenship.
do you enjoy being wrong? they may not ask under sb1070, but they can ask under federal law if they are sanctioned by the feds.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
No, he just calmly finished exchanging information, thanked her, got in the car and drove away. I'm telling you, he is unrufflable.

Anyone who's read my posts here should know how lucky that woman was that I wasn't in the car with him, though!
Yes indeed. I hope one day that woman runs into you so YOU can rip her a good one. The nerve of some people.

It's stuff like this that scares the crap out of me. The extremism is infiltrating our society.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 PM

406 posts, read 495,562 times
Quote:
The police cannot ask you, you are correct, but the sheriff can and will arrest illegals and turn them over to ICE.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
do you enjoy being wrong? they may not ask under sb1070, but they can ask under federal law if they are sanctioned by the feds.
Show me the federal law which allows this

Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
So my wonderful husband, Dane_In_LA, just got home from work and told me he had a terrible day that started with him being rear-ended on the way into the office this morning. For the moment, he's fine, but she hit him hard enough that things went flying in the car (CDs off the seat and such), so he's going to have to look out for stiffness to possibly settle in.

But I digress. He and the woman who hit him get out of their respective vehicles and exchange insurance information, though she initially refused to actually show him her driver license and insurance card, but just wanted to hand him a piece of paper with whatever information she wrote on it, which, for all he knew may have been inaccurate. He was more than polite to her (the man has no temper -- even I can't get him riled up ).

But as he spoke, she noticed that he has an accent, so she asked him where he was from and he told her he was from Denmark. And that's when things go completely off the rails.

"I'd like to see your Green Card,"
she said.

What?

The?

FLICK???

Just where in the bloody hell does she think she is, Nazi Germany? Or perhaps Arizona, since that's the kind of attitude that hate-filled laws like Jan Brewer enacts engenders in society.

Screw her and the horse she rode in on. "I'd like to see your Green Card." As if.
So...does he have one?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
You're wrong actually - there are THREE states that will issue DL to illegals and I know that WA state doesn't even require proof of residency anymore.

FTR the states are NM, UT and WA
Those states have other requirements that still would require citizenship or legal residency. WA for example requires your social security card;

WA State Licensing: Proof of identity - driver license

Utah does require proof of residency;

Utah Department of Public Safety

So does New Mexico;

Utah Department of Public Safety

Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Show me the federal law which allows this
United States Code: Title 8,1304. Forms for registration and fingerprinting | LII / Legal Information Institute
Quote:
(e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You actually think your isolated case is the norm?
lol
Absolutely the norm on a more frequent basis.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:02 PM

What does this have to do with SB1070?? This applies to aliens, not US citizens. The original Arizona law gave the police the power to demand proof of citizenship from anyone they deemed suspicious, including US citizens.

Once again, show me the federal law which calls for US citizens to carry around proof of citizenship? I'll be waiting, probably forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration