U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 10:23 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,498,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid2001 View Post
Yawn. In other words, nothing. Case closed.
Yeah, I'm sure got through it all in 3 minutes.

Case closed, nothing to rebut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Dude, what aren't you getting about this thread?

Do you think the text of the law mattered one lick to the woman who thought she had the right to ask my husband to show her his Green Card??? It's about the atmosphere the law and the hate-filled rhetoric it has created are doing to our nation.
Oh for the love of flying purple monkeys....

Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,956,821 times
you called?

Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM

30,911 posts, read 24,262,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Oh for the love of flying purple monkeys....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
you called?
yes he called, he has a thing for you.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM

203 posts, read 232,095 times
The OP is an example of Godwins law in action.

My only problem with the illegal immigration thing is that the federal government does nothing serious to stop illegal immigration. If the border enforcement is a federal issue, the federal government needs to step up. The Arizona law should have been a wake up call for the Feds. The Feds WANT illegal immigration. The Republicans get money from the business interests that want cheap labour and the Democrats look on the Hispanics for votes from their Latino proletariat who provide "diversity". Why doesnt the Fed take responsibility and enforce their own laws so states like AZ, CA, NM, and TX dont have to fill their prisons with costly illegals and have crime rates that deter legitimate business and chases away legal residents scared of crime.

The anger should be directed at the FEDS for not taking the Arizona law seriously and actually enforce immigration law in exchange for a repeal of the law. They dont want to enforce the laws. Liberals are morons if they dont support American troops on the border to stop illegal immigration. We have most of our wars fought in deserts. Why not train our soldiers in counter insurgency by cleaning up the drug running on the border and by stopping illegal immigrants? Perfect situation.

To the liberals: Is unlimited immigration for some but not for all a fair thing? Liberals talk about fairness but is it fair for Danes to have to go through immigration laws while Mexicans can just cross from Mexico and be here without any trouble? Should we have no immigration laws whatsoever and just let anyone in? Why have immigration laws if you arent going to seriously enforce them?

If we do have comprehensive immigration reform and give the illegals a blanket amnesty, how do we know who should get it and who should not? Doesnt it open the country up to bankruptcy and lawsuits from illegals that either become citizens and take up lots of social spending or from those judged to not come under an amnesty that feel entitled to it that sue and clog up our courts?

what do we do after we give amnesty? How do we stop illegal immigration to prevent a need for another amnesty in another 20-30 years?

Isnt comprehensive immigration reform pointless if we are back in 20-30 years having to do it all again since we didnt find a way to get our borders in check?

Im genuinely curious how liberals feel about securing the border.

Wouldnt it be a good plan to grab control of the border and THEN have comprehensive immigration reform so you can safely debate ways to deal with the undocumented immigrants in the country currently with a solution that can be more permanent?

When I am 43 years old in 20 years, I dont want to have to deal with illegal immigration as a political issue because some feel good liberals with delusions of a diverse utopia refused to stop a problem when they had the chance.

I realize that deporting 8-15 million will be a difficult if not impossible. But why should my generation be forced to deal with another 8-15 million again in 20 years because the people in charge now refused to do something about the situation?

People around my age need to take note. Our elders are going to give us a massive debt that we cannot re-pay without much higher taxes, a population imbalance with more older retired people than younger people, a broken immigration system, a broken social security system that we will never ever see, along with endless wars and endless foreign aid commitments to nations that will never be able to function as civilized nations (i.e. nations in Africa, Middle East) that results in us needing to send our own kids to risk their lives on problems that people today refused to solve. Oh, and their poor financial decisions and selfishness in leaving mortgages will make it extremely difficult to finance owning our own houses.

Immigration is just one of many problems that the people in charge and older people refuse to deal with and just want my generation to deal with when it is beyond salvation.

If you want a solve to the problem do it while you can. Otherwise my generation might not give you the outcome you desired.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
you called?
Ha! Good one!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM

10,720 posts, read 16,852,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

"I'd like to see your Green Card,"
she said.

What?

The?

FLICK???

Just where in the bloody hell does she think she is, Nazi Germany? Or perhaps Arizona, since that's the kind of attitude that hate-filled laws like Jan Brewer enacts engenders in society.

Screw her and the horse she rode in on. "I'd like to see your Green Card." As if.
I often find myself defending liberals but this is a case where the other side can be as idiotic as exemplified by your post. You obviously know nothing about the details surrounding the Arizona law. It does not discriminate upon race. It enables the local law enforcement to enforce Federal law. Right now, local law enforcement are allowed to detain illegals for being in the country illegally. They are then required to turn them over to ICE. It's a belabored and bureacratic process that can last hours or days before ICE will acquire these illegals. This wastes time and resources. The law made being in the country a misdemeanor so that local law enforcement can jail illegals directly. Law enforcement cannot randomly question people based on race or their appearance. They can ask about citizenship status during a legal stop such as being pulled over for speeding, breaking the law or at a U.S. Border Patrol point on the freeway. If the person being addressed at one of these points or situations claim he or she doesn't have a driver's license, legal identification or paperwork, then law enforcement can ask about the person's citizenship status. That is not racial profiling.

Unfortunately, many liberals have behaved like many right wing conservatives on this issue and taken this issue out of context and extrapolated it to fit their agenda like you have.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM

767 posts, read 373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I often find myself defending liberals but this is a case where the other side can be as idiotic as exemplified by your post. You obviously know nothing about the details surrounding the Arizona law. It does not discriminate upon race. It enables the local law enforcement to enforce Federal law. Right now, local law enforcement are allowed to detain illegals for being in the country illegally. They are then required to turn them over to ICE. It's a belabored and bureacratic process that can last hours or days before ICE will acquire these illegals. This wastes time and resources. The law made being in the country a misdemeanor so that local law enforcement can jail illegals directly. Law enforcement cannot randomly question people based on race or their appearance. They can ask about citizenship status during a legal stop such as being pulled over for speeding, breaking the law or at a U.S. Border Patrol point on the freeway. If the person being addressed at one of these points or situations claim he or she doesn't have a driver's license, legal identification or paperwork, then law enforcement can ask about the person's citizenship status. That is not racial profiling.
A federal judge recently struck down this provision in the Arizona law. LE agents in Arizona can no longer ask for proof of citizenship during routine traffic stops. Google it.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 PM

30,911 posts, read 24,262,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs1987 View Post
The OP is an example of Godwins law in action.

My only problem with the illegal immigration thing is that the federal government does nothing serious to stop illegal immigration. If the border enforcement is a federal issue, the federal government needs to step up. The Arizona law should have been a wake up call for the Feds. The Feds WANT illegal immigration. The Republicans get money from the business interests that want cheap labour and the Democrats look on the Hispanics for votes from their Latino proletariat who provide "diversity". Why doesnt the Fed take responsibility and enforce their own laws so states like AZ, CA, NM, and TX dont have to fill their prisons with costly illegals and have crime rates that deter legitimate business and chases away legal residents scared of crime.

The anger should be directed at the FEDS for not taking the Arizona law seriously and actually enforce immigration law in exchange for a repeal of the law. They dont want to enforce the laws. Liberals are morons if they dont support American troops on the border to stop illegal immigration. We have most of our wars fought in deserts. Why not train our soldiers in counter insurgency by cleaning up the drug running on the border and by stopping illegal immigrants? Perfect situation.

To the liberals: Is unlimited immigration for some but not for all a fair thing? Liberals talk about fairness but is it fair for Danes to have to go through immigration laws while Mexicans can just cross from Mexico and be here without any trouble? Should we have no immigration laws whatsoever and just let anyone in? Why have immigration laws if you arent going to seriously enforce them?

If we do have comprehensive immigration reform and give the illegals a blanket amnesty, how do we know who should get it and who should not? Doesnt it open the country up to bankruptcy and lawsuits from illegals that either become citizens and take up lots of social spending or from those judged to not come under an amnesty that feel entitled to it that sue and clog up our courts?

what do we do after we give amnesty? How do we stop illegal immigration to prevent a need for another amnesty in another 20-30 years?

Isnt comprehensive immigration reform pointless if we are back in 20-30 years having to do it all again since we didnt find a way to get our borders in check?

Im genuinely curious how liberals feel about securing the border.

Wouldnt it be a good plan to grab control of the border and THEN have comprehensive immigration reform so you can safely debate ways to deal with the undocumented immigrants in the country currently with a solution that can be more permanent?

When I am 43 years old in 20 years, I dont want to have to deal with illegal immigration as a political issue because some feel good liberals with delusions of a diverse utopia refused to stop a problem when they had the chance.

I realize that deporting 8-15 million will be a difficult if not impossible. But why should my generation be forced to deal with another 8-15 million again in 20 years because the people in charge now refused to do something about the situation?

People around my age need to take note. Our elders are going to give us a massive debt that we cannot re-pay without much higher taxes, a population imbalance with more older retired people than younger people, a broken immigration system, a broken social security system that we will never ever see, along with endless wars and endless foreign aid commitments to nations that will never be able to function as civilized nations (i.e. nations in Africa, Middle East) that results in us needing to send our own kids to risk their lives on problems that people today refused to solve. Oh, and their poor financial decisions and selfishness in leaving mortgages will make it extremely difficult to finance owning our own houses.

Immigration is just one of many problems that the people in charge and older people refuse to deal with and just want my generation to deal with when it is beyond salvation.

If you want a solve to the problem do it while you can. Otherwise my generation might not give you the outcome you desired.
very well said. i was in my 20's when reagan signed an amnesty bill, and it caused a number of problems, and that was only for 3 million illegals.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 PM

406 posts, read 417,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Unfortunately, many liberals have behaved like many right wing conservatives on this issue and taken this issue out of context and extrapolated it to fit their agenda like you have.
Finally someone who knows what the hell they are talking about! Thank you. The OP is really reaching trying to compare some California idiot driver to SB 1070. At least here in the west valley I haven't seen the nazis at work. The police do a good job here and they should be applauded for their work not called racists and nazis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration