U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,819,795 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So wait. You point out that Reagan screwed up, created the problem we have today, by granting amnesty to 2 million illegals. And then you say that we should grant amnesty now to an additional - what is it, 16 million- illegals? Did we learn nothing?

What was Einstein said about doing the same thing over and expecting a different result?
Yes, absolute insanity.

 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,504,841 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
So wait. You point out that Reagan screwed up, created the problem we have today, by granting amnesty to 2 million illegals. And then you say that we should grant amnesty now to an additional - what is it, 16 million- illegals? Did we learn nothing?

What was Einstein said about doing the same thing over and expecting a different result?
We should certainly have learned not to let the Repubs run the government...But it appears not.

The fact that Reagan had to go to amnesty in order to deal with 2 million should tell you there is no way to deal with ten million in a similar situation. The problem is five times worse and probably more than that as it has been allowed to fester so long.

There really is no way out. All that will happen with the existing situation is that we will wait some more years and then have the amnesty likely with more illegals involved.

There is no way and no will to deport the illegal population. And maintaining the fiction that it may happen will cost us dearly.

And you may be right about the do over...particularly if we let the Repubs do it again. I would however think it much more sensible to do it correctly this time. It was a simple problem in 1989. Took Reagan and Bush to make it into a disaster.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Hmm, I think we all remember operation WB, don't we? So yes, it can be done and even though we keep saying the same thing isn't necessary and that they will leave voluntarily without the jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship magnet it flies right over some people's heads in here as if we had said nothing. Why is that?

At this point there is far more of a danger for the Democrats to pass an amnesty rather than the Republicans. Many more Republicans object to it than Democrats.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 01:44 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,027,117 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Hmm, I think we all remember operation WB, don't we? So yes, it can be done and even though we keep saying the same thing isn't necessary and that they will leave voluntarily without the jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship magnet it flies right over some people's heads in here as if we had said nothing. Why is that?
Hmmm
AH!
The trees are in the way!

It can be done. It should be done.
However, our "leaders" think NOT.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,504,841 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Hmm, I think we all remember operation WB, don't we? So yes, it can be done and even though we keep saying the same thing isn't necessary and that they will leave voluntarily without the jobs, benefits and birthright citizenship magnet it flies right over some people's heads in here as if we had said nothing. Why is that?

At this point there is far more of a danger for the Democrats to pass an amnesty rather than the Republicans. Many more Republicans object to it than Democrats.
W*tback? (Another strange forbidden word) Sure that is how you do it. You push every dark skinned person living within 100 miles of the border into trucks and haul them off to Mexico..

Then you put out a press release that all the Mexicans have gone home and there is no longer an illegal immigrant problem.

It is another version of the "poof - they are gone" school of illegal management.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,155,041 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
W*tback? (Another strange forbidden word) Sure that is how you do it. You push every dark skinned person living within 100 miles of the border into trucks and haul them off to Mexico..

Then you put out a press release that all the Mexicans have gone home and there is no longer an illegal immigrant problem.

It is another version of the "poof - they are gone" school of illegal management.
You said that, not me. I only said it was possible to do it because it was done before. I stand by MY solution to this problem which is removing all the incentives to stay here or to come here illegally.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,384,513 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post



YOu are uttely lacking in a contact with reality. Some form of amnesty would be good simply to start solving the problem. Your approach goes no where and leaves us with the status quo. That says we live with it as it is for at least the next years. And then if the right gains full control and acts we would spend ten years trying to expel them, scrtewing up the economy completely and likely fail. Why do you people feel these need to take a suicide path?

It would be just like a dem to try to fix a problem by creating a new buraucracy to legalize them (big gov-more money) instead of meeting the problem head on and fixing it. Dems never want to actually FIX a problem, just throw a bandaid (money) on it. Talk about going nowhere lol.

I don't care if it takes 10 years...it would be done. Unlike allowing this to exponentially explode every year financially. Like I said, republicans know what it is to make an investment that will pay off in the future. I know its a tough concept for some, but we don't always have to have instant gratification.

I fail to understand why left leaning people think it helps their cause to try to demean others. It reminds me of a spoiled child that is stomping their feet. And you're correct, a dem approach of standing in your front yard trying to wish something away, doesn't do much for adults. If republicans are the party of no it must be because someone has to act like an adult.
 
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,504,841 times
Reputation: 2661
[quote=Isitmeorarethingsnuts?;15874256]It would be just like a dem to try to fix a problem by creating a new buraucracy to legalize them (big gov-more money) instead of meeting the problem head on and fixing it. Dems never want to actually FIX a problem, just throw a bandaid (money) on it. Talk about going nowhere lol.

I don't care if it takes 10 years...it would be done. Unlike allowing this to exponentially explode every year financially. Like I said, republicans know what it is to make an investment that will pay off in the future. I know its a tough concept for some, but we don't always have to have instant gratification.

Republicans created the problem. And then allowed it to grow to a size that is not fixable by simply enforcing the law. New you say they are ready to fix it? Why the F* did they not do that up front?

Enforcement is no investment. It is pure expense. And badly damages the economy in the process. Probably enough to create a large recession best case. Just what we need now another recession.

Quote:
I fail to understand why left leaning people think it helps their cause to try to demean others. It reminds me of a spoiled child that is stomping their feet. And you're correct, a dem approach of standing in your front yard trying to wish something away, doesn't do much for adults. If republicans are the party of no it must be because someone has to act like an adult.
You folk lay out this idiot caterwauling you seem to feel is an argument. And then feel bad because someone points out it is idiot caterwauling.

YOu need a rational plan. somewhere. Written down. We will do the following...and then this and then that. It will all cost these $...

You need to address the fine points...

We will hire x ICE people to apprehend the illegals. They will apprehend x illegals per person per day...

X percent of the illegals will legally resist. They will require y months and cost z dollars to deport.

We will have to establish detention facilities for m people.

we will handle the children raised in the states but born in Mexico by...

We will handle the American born children by...

We will let the parents come back if...

The total cost will be....
 
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge.
3,196 posts, read 4,717,966 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
....What would the average American think about immigration if they really knew all the facts and were able to review the issue with intellectual vigor?
Americans -- intellectual vigor--same sentence?
 
Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Yac
 
5,875 posts, read 6,294,617 times
Too many emotional rants and personal trips here. I think this thread's gone on long enough.
Closed.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top