Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:41 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
There's no we in the bolded sentence. We didn't do anything. They ignored our immigration laws. They now want to be rewarded for doing so with legal status.

Never.
Like hell we didn't. We went to Mexico and mass recruited. We promised jobs. We got them in and in massive numbers. We encouraged the entry sometimes even greasing the governmental skids.

Illegal Immigration as an industry was started by US industry. And has a long and colorful history.

And we sat there in the Reagan and Bush administration after establishing an amnesty and encouraged or at least refused to interfere with large and growing influx of Mexicans.

That was us...we...us people...we got all this started.

Quote:
We already allow many Mexicans into the United States legally. We have no obligation to allow every single Mexican into the United States just because said Mexican wants to come here even though they may completely lack any sort of qualifications that would allow them to fit in here without huge subsidies by the American taxpayer

We had no requirement...but we did it anyway. On purpose. And then we allowed it to continue until it got way past our abliity to fix it. That is what we did. Now we cry about it. And claim the Republican crew that brought us this huge problem is going to fix it.

Quote:
Enough already with the we owe illegal migrants things nonsense. Every thing we grant to illegal migrants is an insult to anyone who ever bothered to follow our laws and legally immgrate. What Mexicans want (and let's face it, we're writing largely about Mexicans here) is one law for them and one law for everyone else.

I reiterate: never. They have their own country. It isn't particularly poor. If they want better conditions let them lobby for such in their own country rather than coming here and putting enormous stress on the American taxpayer.

That's the only moral thing to do.
Nope the children have a moral claim. You can deny it until you turn red, white and blue...but it still lays there like the t*rd in the punch bowl. They are simple caught in the middle.

The parents have no real moral claim or anything...just the practical. There is no workable way to remove 10 million people who are deeply embedded in our society. It is catastrophically expensive and may still not be doable.

And delaying dealing with it only makes it worse.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And apparently you forget that the immigration crisis was basically brought about by the failure of two Republican Administrations to properly deal with it.

I would think after that screwup the last people you would call on to fix immigration would be the Republicans. They gots us here.

The Republicans liked those low paid workers in their factories. It is only after they screwed it up royally that they are going to fix it. If you believe that I got a bridge you would be interested in..
And I guess the democrat party thinks it was fine because now they are trying to pull a back door amnesty without congressional approval. Do you also see this as a screw up? Should make you proud.

We know that Dems have a problem with admitting their mistakes ie. the wasted payback in the form of a stimulus bill. And I guess it's only Republicans that hire illegal immigrants. But now that O established through the dept of labor that illegals will be paid the same as legals I guess it takes that incentive away. So you might want to think about that.

The only bridge I might be interested in would be one that would allow the Republicans some imput into the present administration. There has never been a more divisive administration in my lifetime.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Would you be my new BBF ? A great post, very insightful. It made me stop and think a bit. I like that. I do that occasionally.
Is that "Best Black Friend"? Did you mean "BFF"?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
And I guess the democrat party thinks it was fine because now they are trying to pull a back door amnesty without congressional approval. Do you also see this as a screw up? Should make you proud.

We know that Dems have a problem with admitting their mistakes ie. the wasted payback in the form of a stimulus bill. And I guess it's only Republicans that hire illegal immigrants. But now that O established through the dept of labor that illegals will be paid the same as legals I guess it takes that incentive away. So you might want to think about that.

The only bridge I might be interested in would be one that would allow the Republicans some imput into the present administration. There has never been a more divisive administration in my lifetime.
To the best of my knowledge there is no back door amnesty. There is a paper where those expert in the area where asked what was doable. The subject matter was in fact to figure a way to avoid deporting the spouses of US service people. I would guess you want them out of the country as well?

I also note your attempt to change the subject. Talk about denial. The real screwup in US immigration was when Reagan and Bush blew it and allowed it to zoom out of control when they should have been shutting it down completely.

The present problem can also completely be tracked back to that screwup. And much of that was driven by a kowtowing to US industry to avoid cutting off their labor force.

I would tend to agree that industrial labor force is only a small part of the existing problem but that has changed as US business has gotten better access to legal labor and no longer finds the illegals appetizing.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:25 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Quote:
Like hell we didn't. We went to Mexico and mass recruited. We promised jobs. We got them in and in massive numbers. We encouraged the entry sometimes even greasing the governmental skids.

Illegal Immigration as an industry was started by US industry. And has a long and colorful history.

And we sat there in the Reagan and Bush administration after establishing an amnesty and encouraged or at least refused to interfere with large and growing influx of Mexicans.

.I'm sure you believe this in your heart but you're forgetting how much coyotees make to smuggle someone in. And the water we leave in the desert as a humanitarian aid while they are crossing. Doesn't exactly sound like recruitment to me. That pokes a tiny hole in your theory. It seems to be the new fad that the US is responsible for everyone elses problems. We are so inhumane... I guess Clinton didn't see it for what it was. He must have wanted something too. Bush 2 started the fence and O defunded it.

Nope the children have a moral claim. You can deny it until you turn red, white and blue...but it still lays there like the t*rd in the punch bowl. They are simple caught in the middle.

They are caught in the middle of a bad decision their parents made. Happens in lots of families. Sad, but true. They can come back when they reach an age where they can support themselves or live with legal relatives.

The parents have no real moral claim or anything...just the practical. There is no workable way to remove 10 million people who are deeply embedded in our society. It is catastrophically expensive and may still not be doable.

Yes, it will get more expensive the longer we wait. If the dem answer to this problem is simply that it can't be fixed...well there ya go. Maybe they should standback and let someone that understands the issue take care of it.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
"WE" the American people did not encourage illegal immigration. "WE" your everyday law abiding American did no such thing! Why would "WE" want to have our wages lowered, our jobs stolen and our taxes going to cover the social costs of illegal aliens? "WE" would have to be total idiots to cut our own throats. The blame is on our government and the greedy employers not "WE" your ordinary American.

Strange isn't it, how WE have said over and over in here that mass involuntary deportations don't have to be the way to remove illegal aliens from our midst but the pro-illegals obviously have cotton between their ears because they just keep repeating the same old nonsense over and over anyway that we can't remove 10 million illegals from our midst. Do we have to type it all in caps for them to get it? All our government has to to is remove any incentives for them to remain here or for more to enter and they will self-deport. There are not costs associated with self-deportation. Removing the incentives of the job magnet, benefits and birthright citizenship will cause many if not most of them to leave and discourage anymore from entering.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Once again. THERE WAS NO WE. Some American idiots went to Mexico. The vast majority of Americans have NEVER been in favor of mass migration of low skilled migrants from Mexico.

NEVER. We still aren't.

Quote:
Yeah. Guess what? Times were different at the turn of the century. We needed lots of low skilled workers. We don't need them now.

Quote:

Again. Polls have repeatedly shown that most Americans are not in favor of mass migration let alone the huge importation of vast numbers of Mexican nationals who do not speak English.

Just because elected officials ignored this fact does not mean that illegal migrants can just continue to do what they want today. It's time that the American public was heard on this issue. It's been far long.

Quote:
We had no requirement...but we did it anyway. On purpose. And then we allowed it to continue until it got way past our abliity to fix it. That is what we did. Now we cry about it. And claim the Republican crew that brought us this huge problem is going to fix it.
Again we did no such thing. If big business was allowed to ignore the demands of the American people well maybe it's time big business was firmly told no more.

Quote:
A moral claim to what? To claim American citizenship because their parents ignored immigration law? The moral thing is to admit the mistake and leave not to stay here and demand even more from the American public.

There's a turd oh yes. But that turd was placed there by their parents not the American public.

Quote:

Again that is your opinion. People ignore laws all the time. That does not mean we should not enforce them. Considering that many of them refuse to learn English, do not obey American laws, do not pay taxes they're hardly embedded in our society. Many go back and forth between here and Mexico using this country as a convenient source of quick money while paying no allegience to it. Hardly people we need to invite to stay.

Mexicans need to go home. Let Carlos Slim pull them out of poverty instead of the American taxpayer.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"WE" the American people did not encourage illegal immigration. "WE" your everyday law abiding American did no such thing! Why would "WE" want to have our wages lowered, our jobs stolen and our taxes going to cover the social costs of illegal aliens? "WE" would have to be total idiots to cut our own throats. The blame is on our government and the greedy employers not "WE" your ordinary American.

Strange isn't it, how WE have said over and over in here that mass involuntary deportations don't have to be the way to remove illegal aliens from our midst but the pro-illegals obviously have cotton between their ears because they just keep repeating the same old nonsense over and over anyway that we can't remove 10 million illegals from our midst. Do we have to type it all in caps for them to get it? All our government has to to is remove any incentives for them to remain here or for more to enter and they will self-deport. There are not costs associated with self-deportation. Removing the incentives of the job magnet, benefits and birthright citizenship will cause many if not most of them to leave and discourage anymore from entering.
Yeah. Enough already.

No more anchor babies. No more emergency room care at taxpayer expense. No schooling unless you can prove residency. No interpretors unless you can prove you need one because you are a tourist or someone on a legal visa. No benefits for crossing the border without permission.

Fine the employers, remove the signs in Spanish and tell the government of Mexico that if they keep encouraging their citizens to disobey our immigration laws we'll invade their country the same way they keep invading ours.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:11 PM

Illegal alien children are NOT our children. They are the children of their own country. I repeat, "WE" your everyday lawabiding American citizen did not cause this mess and WE will not pay for the ineptness of our government and their corporate greedy pals.

Children and their families have often had to move to parts of our country that they aren't familiar with. Children adapt easily. Most Mexican children are taught Spanish at home and their parents are still imbedded in the culture of Mexico and instill that in their children also. To claim that they would be somehow traumitized by moving back to their parent's homeland is ludicrous to say the least. Not our problem anyway. Neither they nor their parents have a right to be here and WE have nor moral obligation to them whatsoever.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM

Now for the real truth. This article from the Las Vegas Review Journal today.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION : Poll: Nevadans believe tougher laws would improve economy

Nevadans oppose newborn citizenship

A new poll shows a majority of Nevadans believe undocumented workers are taking jobs away from U.S. citizens.
The survey, commissioned by the Las Vegas Review-Journal and 8NewsNow, also shows that almost half of Nevadans believe the state's economy would be better without illegal workers.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION : Poll: Nevadans believe tougher laws would improve economy - News - ReviewJournal.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration