U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2010, 10:33 AM
 
239 posts, read 761,150 times
Reputation: 194

Advertisements

The media and various liberal groups have done a great job at confusing the public about immigration. Basically everyone who is new to this country who was not born in America is called an immmigrant. If you are against illegal aliens invading our country you are called anti immigrant. People who support illegal immigration just called them undocumented and say they just came for a better life. We are constantly reminded that we are all immigrants unless we are 100% Indian.

I also find that most Americans do not understand the process one goes through to become a legal immigrant. They tell me that the current "undocumented" should just simply report to the US Embassy and get the necessary papers and they will magically become legal. (They think becoming an American is cheap and easy and nearly everyone can do so easily, just fill out a few forms!)

What would the average American think about immigration if they really knew all the facts and were able to review the issue with intellectual vigor?

 
Old 09-09-2010, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
6,159 posts, read 10,897,199 times
Reputation: 3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
The media and various liberal groups have done a great job at confusing the public about immigration. Basically everyone who is new to this country who was not born in America is called an immmigrant. If you are against illegal aliens invading our country you are called anti immigrant. People who support illegal immigration just called them undocumented and say they just came for a better life. We are constantly reminded that we are all immigrants unless we are 100% Indian.

I also find that most Americans do not understand the process one goes through to become a legal immigrant. They tell me that the current "undocumented" should just simply report to the US Embassy and get the necessary papers and they will magically become legal. (They think becoming an American is cheap and easy and nearly everyone can do so easily, just fill out a few forms!)

What would the average American think about immigration if they really knew all the facts and were able to review the issue with intellectual vigor?
I disagree with your posted premise. Most Americans DO NOT see legal immigrants and illegal aliens as the same. Most Americans are smart enough to see the difference, & to appreciate those who go through the process dictated by our laws. You are correct in that supporters of and apologists for illegal immigrants TRY to make the two groups seem equal, and to demonize anyone opposed to illegals as anti-immigration racist xenophobes, but I think most Americans are smart enough to know the difference, even if they don't know the details of the legal immigration process.
Further, I believe the issue MOST Americans are unsure of is how to deal with the current illegal population. While rounding them all up & deporting them SOUNDS like a great idea, most people see the difficulty of that solution. At the same time, I think most do not support any sort of amnesty, which would basically be a reward for those who have managed to break our laws & defy our policies and live here illegally.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,690,528 times
Reputation: 3010
Actually, I believe that it is the mainstream media and our elected officials who cannot differentiate between legal and illegal immigration.

Your average American citizen is smarter than either of those institutions as evidenced by the majority of polls on this issue.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 AM
 
Location: SXSW
640 posts, read 1,514,220 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
I disagree with your posted premise. Most Americans DO NOT see legal immigrants and illegal aliens as the same. Most Americans are smart enough to see the difference, & to appreciate those who go through the process dictated by our laws. You are correct in that supporters of and apologists for illegal immigrants TRY to make the two groups seem equal, and to demonize anyone opposed to illegals as anti-immigration racist xenophobes, but I think most Americans are smart enough to know the difference, even if they don't know the details of the legal immigration process.
Further, I believe the issue MOST Americans are unsure of is how to deal with the current illegal population. While rounding them all up & deporting them SOUNDS like a great idea, most people see the difficulty of that solution. At the same time, I think most do not support any sort of amnesty, which would basically be a reward for those who have managed to break our laws & defy our policies and live here illegally.

Maybe that is the case for non-Latinos, but many Americans of Latin American descent are now are being a target of discrimination and racism for policies and practices that they have nothing to do with. My family and I have nothing to do with corrupt American politicians or the fact that American businesses feel entitled to cheap labor. We have NOTHING to do with the incompetence of the American government when it comes to illegal immigration. My parents paid thousands of dollars and went through some incredible hoops to be here, and I have family members in the military who have passed away in the Iraq war, and that means nothing to most Americans. The fact that my skin is brown and that I have a Spanish surname sure has hell does. Spokespeople for "La Raza" no more speak for me than Rush Limbaugh speaks for all white people. This whole illegal immigration thing has honestly turned me very bitter about this country. What is the point of even trying to assimilate when nothing will appease these people? Everyone in my family speaks English, my father was a physics doctorate, I have engineers and business owners in my family, but nope. ALL most Americans see is the fact that I'm "Hispanic." They would much rather attack the random brown person on the street than attack their own politicians who enable their mess. So what's the point? On to the nihilism.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 32,498,817 times
Reputation: 2661
I see few facts on this area.

I see some examples of blatant bias against hispanics. Lots of that in AZ. That is the "cloak an hispanic bias in rhetoric about illegals" approach.

But I also see some rational discussion. CIS for instance takes a strong stand against both legal and illegal immigration as being unneccessary and unaffordable.

I see little indication media or politicos get it wrong. They generally understand it pretty well.

If you scratch some of the tea partiers they go over the line pretty easily. There is for instance a video of a dispute in which a US flag gets thrown down. Looks pretty clearly like a dispute between white gang bangers and a group of Chicanos. The flag is simply a prop to dignify a racial driven exchange. But listen to the language. These kids may speak Spanish but they are clearly raised here and very likely born here. Yet the discussion of the video inevitably suggests they are illegals.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
Maybe that is the case for non-Latinos, but many Americans of Latin American descent are now are being a target of discrimination and racism for policies and practices that they have nothing to do with. My family and I have nothing to do with corrupt American politicians or the fact that American businesses feel entitled to cheap labor. We have NOTHING to do with the incompetence of the American government when it comes to illegal immigration. My parents paid thousands of dollars and went through some incredible hoops to be here, and I have family members in the military who have passed away in the Iraq war, and that means nothing to most Americans. The fact that my skin is brown and that I have a Spanish surname sure has hell does. Spokespeople for "La Raza" no more speak for me than Rush Limbaugh speaks for all white people. This whole illegal immigration thing has honestly turned me very bitter about this country. What is the point of even trying to assimilate when nothing will appease these people? Everyone in my family speaks English, my father was a physics doctorate, I have engineers and business owners in my family, but nope. ALL most Americans see is the fact that I'm "Hispanic." They would much rather attack the random brown person on the street than attack their own politicians who enable their mess. So what's the point? On to the nihilism.
I disagree with your theory that "most" Americans dislike Hispanics in general and I doubt you know what is in "most" American's minds.

I applaud you for respecting our immigration laws rather than siding with illegal aliens just because most are Hispanic like yourself. Unfortunately, far too many Hispanics don't share your views and that is where the problem lays. If there is any resentment or dislike of Hispanic citizens that is the reason. It is also hard to tell who is legal and who is not if they are both sharing the same sentiment about our immigration laws.

I am familiar with the organization "You don't speak for me". It is Hispanics sticking up for the rule of law and objecting to illegal immigration. Unfortunately I think it is pretty much a dead organization now which kind of proves my point above. Not much interest for most Hispanics to hold this rule of law viewpoint when it appears their cultures dictates ethnicity first.

It is so unfortunate that we have this divide in our country today and those who are loyal, law abiding Hispanic Americans as yourself are taking the heat. I hope this issue is resolved soon.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:03 PM
 
239 posts, read 761,150 times
Reputation: 194
The media elites are always saying that the political parties should not get too tough about immigration enforcement because it will get the Hispanic voters angry. That statement assumes that most Hispanics are against immigration enforcement. If this is true then the rest of America should be angry.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
The media elites are always saying that the political parties should not get too tough about immigration enforcement because it will get the Hispanic voters angry. That statement assumes that most Hispanics are against immigration enforcement. If this is true then the rest of America should be angry.
Exactly and it really isn't an assumption. Do you think that our politicians would be backing off of enforcement if most Hispanics weren't giving them the input that they don't want that enforcement but amnesty instead? They want the Hispanic vote and they wouldn't gain it by ignoring the majority sentiment on this issue. It is just one of the reasons that our borders don't get secured either. It is all about money and votes.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
 
216 posts, read 198,625 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
Maybe that is the case for non-Latinos, but many Americans of Latin American descent are now are being a target of discrimination and racism for policies and practices that they have nothing to do with. My family and I have nothing to do with corrupt American politicians or the fact that American businesses feel entitled to cheap labor. We have NOTHING to do with the incompetence of the American government when it comes to illegal immigration. My parents paid thousands of dollars and went through some incredible hoops to be here, and I have family members in the military who have passed away in the Iraq war, and that means nothing to most Americans. The fact that my skin is brown and that I have a Spanish surname sure has hell does. Spokespeople for "La Raza" no more speak for me than Rush Limbaugh speaks for all white people. This whole illegal immigration thing has honestly turned me very bitter about this country. What is the point of even trying to assimilate when nothing will appease these people? Everyone in my family speaks English, my father was a physics doctorate, I have engineers and business owners in my family, but nope. ALL most Americans see is the fact that I'm "Hispanic." They would much rather attack the random brown person on the street than attack their own politicians who enable their mess. So what's the point? On to the nihilism.
This is like the other end of what white looking folks get, being called racist for wanting ill legal immigration enforced. All americans suffer for this.
 
Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM
 
3,204 posts, read 2,383,737 times
Reputation: 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideandseekforever View Post
Maybe that is the case for non-Latinos, but many Americans of Latin American descent are now are being a target of discrimination and racism for policies and practices that they have nothing to do with. My family and I have nothing to do with corrupt American politicians or the fact that American businesses feel entitled to cheap labor. We have NOTHING to do with the incompetence of the American government when it comes to illegal immigration. My parents paid thousands of dollars and went through some incredible hoops to be here, and I have family members in the military who have passed away in the Iraq war, and that means nothing to most Americans. The fact that my skin is brown and that I have a Spanish surname sure has hell does. Spokespeople for "La Raza" no more speak for me than Rush Limbaugh speaks for all white people. This whole illegal immigration thing has honestly turned me very bitter about this country. What is the point of even trying to assimilate when nothing will appease these people? Everyone in my family speaks English, my father was a physics doctorate, I have engineers and business owners in my family, but nope. ALL most Americans see is the fact that I'm "Hispanic." They would much rather attack the random brown person on the street than attack their own politicians who enable their mess. So what's the point? On to the nihilism.
It is truely sad if you have been targeted because of the color of your skin or because of your name. And I would like to thank your family members for their service to this great country.

I understand your frustration with the present situation. If the Federal Government would just start enforcing the laws we have in place we could put this behind us. I am frustrated also when I travel that I am inconvienienced by having to go through all the TSA BS when our borders are open for anyone to freely cross. It seems like such a waste of taxpayer money and so hypocritical. And all for cheap labor and votes. To heck with citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top