U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244

Advertisements

ive made my position clear on this (in the initial thread). i have no problem with the use of force employed in this situation. i think these protesters are idiots.

AND i have very close (and intimate) ties to LEO in LAPD (as well as LASD). at the end of the day i want all innocents (cops or otherwise) getting home safely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you had a firearm, were approached by someone like this, would you use it?

I would, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:18 PM
 
5,903 posts, read 6,354,513 times
Reputation: 5447
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thank you for the link. i stand corrected.

but the paramount issue for me is the question of [excessive] use of force.

thats what it is really about.
It would depend on the distance between the officers and the suspect. Tazer and pepperspray in cases do not provide enough defense to prevent the suspect from getting to you and stabbing you, especially if the suspect is intoxicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
some people in the community are saying that this cop is a tyrant in the neighborhood. that he intimidates the residents of the area.

i dont put too much credence in that...

but then i read stuff like this:

Officer involved in Westlake shooting had 2 previous use-of-force incidents | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

OIS's are very rare, even in LA. to be involved in 3, thats unheard of.

as more details emerge this might get messy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It would depend on the distance between the officers and the suspect. Tazer and pepperspray in cases do not provide enough defense to prevent the suspect from getting to you and stabbing you, especially if the suspect is intoxicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 06:48 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It would depend on the distance between the officers and the suspect. Tazer and pepperspray in cases do not provide enough defense to prevent the suspect from getting to you and stabbing you, especially if the suspect is intoxicated.
I heard they were cops on bikes and weren't carrying any tazer or pepperspray on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
some people in the community are saying that this cop is a tyrant in the neighborhood. that he intimidates the residents of the area.

i dont put too much credence in that...

but then i read stuff like this:

Officer involved in Westlake shooting had 2 previous use-of-force incidents | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

OIS's are very rare, even in LA. to be involved in 3, thats unheard of.

as more details emerge this might get messy.
You said you have close ties to law enforcement. If so, surely you understand they are not dealing with paragons of virtue. They encounter the scum of the earth on a daily basis, and oftentimes must resort to deadly force. Moreover, for many, the mere enforcement of the law is deemed “intimidation.” Spend one day as a LEO among the dregs of society, and perhaps then you’ll understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,949 posts, read 32,385,955 times
Reputation: 49901
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"L.A. police chief booed at community meeting"

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police Chief Charlie Beck was greeted by boos, whistles and chants of "justicia" by an angry Spanish-speaking crowd at a community meeting Wednesday intended to quell violence that erupted over the past two nights after police fatally shot a knife-wielding man.
A crowd of about 300 packed a school in the Westlake neighborhood where Manuel Jamines, 37, was shot to death Sunday by an officer after he allegedly lunged toward the officer with a switchblade.

Beck was jeered after defending officers by reading a witness's account of how Jamines threatened two women.

Beck said the witness, a neighborhood resident who was not named, reported to three bicycle officers that a man with blood on his hands tried to stab her and pregnant woman next to her.


L.A. police chief booed at community meeting - USATODAY.com
Sorry but isn't the justification for sanctuary cities a police argument? You reap what you sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 05:05 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,070,242 times
Reputation: 2244
deadly force is VERY RARE. and if a cop draws his weapon it will usually be within his first 18months on the job. i posted a study here (CD) a couple years back about police brutality and use of force.

LEO do see the worse of the worst, but to deny that some cops might be corrupt is also ignorant. some use unlawful tactics. some use borderline tactics. the majority are good; even within LAPD. but some bad apples do exist and some do target certain types of people. they also know to use fists and feet, because once they draw even their baton they must report such action.
all in all i think they get a bad rep. one ofthe first things they learn at the academy is:
for every good thing you do in the community that person might tell one other person.
for every "bad" thing you do in the community that person will tell 100 other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You said you have close ties to law enforcement. If so, surely you understand they are not dealing with paragons of virtue. They encounter the scum of the earth on a daily basis, and oftentimes must resort to deadly force. Moreover, for many, the mere enforcement of the law is deemed “intimidation.” Spend one day as a LEO among the dregs of society, and perhaps then you’ll understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
deadly force is VERY RARE. and if a cop draws his weapon it will usually be within his first 18months on the job. i posted a study here (CD) a couple years back about police brutality and use of force.

LEO do see the worse of the worst, but to deny that some cops might be corrupt is also ignorant. some use unlawful tactics. some use borderline tactics. the majority are good; even within LAPD. but some bad apples do exist and some do target certain types of people. they also know to use fists and feet, because once they draw even their baton they must report such action.
all in all i think they get a bad rep. one ofthe first things they learn at the academy is:
for every good thing you do in the community that person might tell one other person.
for every "bad" thing you do in the community that person will tell 100 other people.
But, why is it EVERY time there is a shooting of an illegal immigrant most of the same posters deny any wrong doing of the perp? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 AM
 
Location: somewhere in the woods
16,886 posts, read 12,541,451 times
Reputation: 5210
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
"L.A. police chief booed at community meeting"

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Police Chief Charlie Beck was greeted by boos, whistles and chants of "justicia" by an angry Spanish-speaking crowd at a community meeting Wednesday intended to quell violence that erupted over the past two nights after police fatally shot a knife-wielding man.
A crowd of about 300 packed a school in the Westlake neighborhood where Manuel Jamines, 37, was shot to death Sunday by an officer after he allegedly lunged toward the officer with a switchblade.

Beck was jeered after defending officers by reading a witness's account of how Jamines threatened two women.

Beck said the witness, a neighborhood resident who was not named, reported to three bicycle officers that a man with blood on his hands tried to stab her and pregnant woman next to her.


L.A. police chief booed at community meeting - USATODAY.com

look at it a different way.

if this man would have broken into your home and you had a firearm in your hand, and he lunged at you, would you have not killed him?

I would have put 3 into his chest and 2 into his head before he got close enough to use his knife on me.


if any illegal alien criminals did not like the cops response, then please go back to the country from where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
307 posts, read 326,441 times
Reputation: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
But, why is it EVERY time there is a shooting of an illegal immigrant most of the same posters deny any wrong doing of the perp? Seriously?
Political correctness at its finest. Anything else is racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top