U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2010, 02:57 PM
 
344 posts, read 153,983 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That doesn't mean they pay taxes. Most illegals will file their income and of course some high number of exemptions when they've caught onto what the EITC is all about.
It actually does. The data supports that. With the median income being $36,000 they do pay taxes.

 
Old 09-12-2010, 02:58 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
With the median income of $36,000...you're tax bracket is at 25%. They pay taxes.
Hint: Not when you've got 5 kids here and 5 kids back in Mexico. You get a nice big check called the EITC. Money they never paid in. Eliminate the EITC and see how many file with the IRS.
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:04 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,949,633 times
Reputation: 22174
With a median income of $36,000 illegals only need one kid to get the EITC check - meaning they not only paid zero taxes, they got an EITC check. Illegals have many more children than the average American.

EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates

2009 Tax Year
New for tax year 2009: The amount of EITC increased for workers with a third qualifying child* and the rules changed for determining who is a qualifying child.

Earned Income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

$43,279 ($48,279 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
$40,295 ($45,295 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
$35,463 ($40,463 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
$13,440 ($18,440 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
Tax Year 2009 maximum credit:

$5,657 with three or more qualifying children
$5,028 with two qualifying children
$3,043 with one qualifying child
$457 with no qualifying children
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM
 
344 posts, read 153,983 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hint: Not when you've got 5 kids here and 5 kids back in Mexico. You get a nice big check called the EITC. Money they never paid in. Eliminate the EITC and see how many file with the IRS.
Look, I'm just going by the IRS posts...not speculation.
 
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
 
344 posts, read 153,983 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
With a median income of $36,000 illegals only need one kid to get the EITC check - meaning they not only paid zero taxes, they got an EITC check. Illegals have many more children than the average American.

EITC Income Limits, Maximum Credit Amounts and Tax Law Updates

2009 Tax Year
New for tax year 2009: The amount of EITC increased for workers with a third qualifying child* and the rules changed for determining who is a qualifying child.

Earned Income and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than:

$43,279 ($48,279 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
$40,295 ($45,295 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
$35,463 ($40,463 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
$13,440 ($18,440 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
Tax Year 2009 maximum credit:

$5,657 with three or more qualifying children
$5,028 with two qualifying children
$3,043 with one qualifying child
$457 with no qualifying children
One huge question is whether they actually apply for the tax credit. I don't have stats...do you?
 
Old 09-12-2010, 05:39 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,992 posts, read 30,260,840 times
Reputation: 17802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Well, the government issued ITINs to illegal immigrants. Therefore they base the percentage on the estimate of illegal immigrants vs. the number of filed tax returns with those ITINs. With the median income of $36,000...you're tax bracket is at 25%. They pay taxes.
in 06 and 07 the total that paid by ITIN was around 1 million. Out of that 1 million the majority got a refund because they made under the level to pay.

That's a pretty small percentage of people attempting to do it by the book.

Back on topic, this a serious derailment.
 
Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,895,665 times
Reputation: 6056
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
snipped....Dang, I wish I was as sheltered as you. You should feel very lucky.
He's 24. Most of the young people I am around today think the same way, the college ones anyway. They have not felt the pain of trying to provide for home and family and not being able to find a decent, liveable wage job......it is idealism not reality.....it happens and is not bad...
 
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,857,919 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
According to Pew Hispanic. And also the ITINs given to illegal immigrants that have filled taxes.
You do realize an ITIN is for “legal” non-citizens, and is NOT intended for illegal aliens, don’t you? After all, it IS against the law for illegal aliens to work in this country.

Furthermore, Hispanic organizations do have a vested interest in portraying their ethnicity in the most favorable manner possible. Thus, they aren’t exactly the most credible source for illegal immigration data. I only reference them to prove a point among pro-illegals, since Pew is one of their gospels. However, I always take their data with a grain of salt.

Note illegal alien or the PC “undocumented immigrant” is not included on the following list. If illegals obtain an ITIN, they do so through fraud and deception. But then, what’s new?

Quote:
Who needs an ITIN?
IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien individual not eligible for a SSN who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty needs an ITIN.

Other examples of individuals who need ITINs include:
• A nonresident alien required to file a U.S. tax return
• A U.S. resident alien (based on days present in the United States) filing a U.S. tax return
• A dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen/resident alien
• A dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder
General ITIN Information


Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
It's interesting that you're not discerning of your data, but only on data that contradicts what you state...Huh. You even stated that there is NO WAY of knowing totals, but then (in another thread) retorted WITH TOTALS once called out. You can't have it both ways. Either you accept that the estimates from non-controversial think tanks and the government are accurate, or you don't. You can't pick and choose data. You can, however, state how the methodology is wrong or provide alternative data...but you can't simply imply that ALL data that doesn't fit YOUR narrative is wrong. It's a huge fallacy in proving your point.
There is really nothing to discern when dealing with factual data. A hospital has concrete evidence of losses due to unpaid treatment provided to illegal aliens. They may have to estimate only because some illegals may slip through the cracks. However, their losses are cold, hard facts.

Likewise, when a school district spends $15,000 per student, and 40% of the students are “non-citizens,” it’s a simple mathematical computation. Prisons also know the costs per inmate, and it’s simply a matter of multiplication. None of this is rocket science.

However, none of the data is an accurate accounting of the total costs of illegal immigration, because many illegals use fraudulent means to portray themselves as citizens. Thus, the costs are always understated.

Conversely, when an organization such as Pew Hispanic reports costs, they have no firsthand data, they can only rely on the accuracy of the data they receive from other sources. BIG difference.


YouTube - Testimony of illegal alien care from 1 Florida hospital

Quote:
Among the new mothers is a woman who didn't want to be identified — an illegal immigrant from Mexico. Her medical bills will run more than $6,000.

But with no insurance, Parkland — a public hospital — is forced to cover the cost.

“We have to figure out how to continue to deal with this because it’s very difficult to fund it,” says Parkland President Dr. Ron Anderson.

Anderson says the cost of treating undocumented immigrants — millions of dollars each year — is unsustainable.
Dallas hospital cares for illegal immigrants - Nightly News - msnbc.com

Quote:
The U.S. Census Bureau just released 2008 figures showing the national average total per-pupil funding from all revenue sources was $12,028. Although estimates of the number of school-age children of illegal immigrants don’t separate those attending public vs. private schools, it’s reasonable to assume that nearly all attend public schools since most come from lower-income families. Therefore, if one multiplies $12,028 by the roughly 3.7 million students with illegal-immigrant parents, then one gets a national total funding cost of $44.5 billion.

The actual cost of schooling these children could be higher because many education dollars are earmarked for special purposes. At the federal level, Title I funds are sent to schools to support disadvantaged children, which benefits many children of illegal immigrants.
Educating illegal immigrants is costly *| ajc.com

Quote:
Non-U.S. citizens accounted for nearly 8 percent of the jail population at midyear 2007, the new Justice Department report noted. "From mid-year 2000 through midyear 2007, Hispanic men (120,000) represented the largest increase to the custody population," it said.

Locking up these prisoners comes with huge economic costs. The Sentencing Project estimates that cost to be $60 billion per year for federal, state and local prison systems.
U.S. Prison Population Hits All-Time High: 2.3 Million Incarcerated - ABC News
 
Old 09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
 
1,891 posts, read 2,189,242 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
He's 24. Most of the young people I am around today think the same way, the college ones anyway. They have not felt the pain of trying to provide for home and family and not being able to find a decent, liveable wage job......it is idealism not reality.....it happens and is not bad...
Ha!

Yes, we should heed advice from a 24-years-old fresh college graduate living in his parents' basement.

That's the problem these days.
 
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM
 
107 posts, read 127,369 times
Reputation: 96
This is so annoying. My husband has worked since 18 and we've always paid are taxes even while unemployed. As a United States Citizen if myself, my husband, and none of my children will be recieving financial aid it is vastly unfair that illegals get it.

Both of my grandfathers served in World War II, my father was Air Force, and my husband is Air Force. Excuse me but if our overly rich goverment is handing out financial aid I have three boys that will be needing a expensive education and quite frankly as a bonafide american I feel more justified in asking for it.

I'm sick of the United States babying offenders while leaving the tax payers in the cold. I can't imagine waltzing into another country expected all the benefits of the country. Let alone what it says about a country that coddles illegal immigrants and shuns it's actual tax paying citizens. It's just wrong. GRRRR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top