U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 AM

32,903 posts, read 30,151,453 times

Advertisements

Both houses passed SB 1460, the so-called California Dream Act, by Sen. Gil Cedillo (D-Los Angeles). This is an outrage. They should be thankful they haven't been removed. I worked my way through College, these people can't?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:56 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,832,685 times
These DREAMie ingrates won’t be satisfied until they bankrupt every state in this country. I guess then, they’ll take their tax-funded degrees and leave.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:28 AM

344 posts, read 153,329 times
It could be good because one of the biggest issues facing higher education in California is actually a drop in the number of people enrolling in the fall. While some could argue college isn't for everyone, a lack of an educated population hinders economic growth.

The bill costs money but there are significant advantages to this. I would include a provision of expedited normalization of status then enrollment to insure that once they graduate college they pay taxes. This way some of costs are recouped. Or maybe initially do this for certain professions (if they become teachers in low income neighborhoods).

Typically those that go to college stay in the country, so we might as well try to find a way to include them in (economically).

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,540,398 times
illegal immigration is an under the table NAFTA. this college break is part of it so is welfare so is prison release of non violent deportation inmates.
what is disturbing is they continue to enforce some laws and ignore others, selective law enforcement is the rule of the day. everytime you pay an illegal to cut your lawn instead of your unemployed son, you are giving financial aid.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,832,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
It could be good because one of the biggest issues facing higher education in California is actually a drop in the number of people enrolling in the fall. While some could argue college isn't for everyone, a lack of an educated population hinders economic growth.

The bill costs money but there are significant advantages to this. I would include a provision of expedited normalization of status then enrollment to insure that once they graduate college they pay taxes. This way some of costs are recouped. Or maybe initially do this for certain professions (if they become teachers in low income neighborhoods).

Typically those that go to college stay in the country, so we might as well try to find a way to include them in (economically).
We do not benefit from illegal immigration, period. Nor should taxpayers foot the bill for illegals to attend college. If they want to attend college, they should pay the higher foreign student rates, and financial aid should be reserved for deserving citizens. We are already being bankrupted from their K-12 education; which, by the way, the majority squander, as evidenced by their high dropout rates.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We do not benefit from illegal immigration, period. Nor should taxpayers foot the bill for illegals to attend college. If they want to attend college, they should pay the higher foreign student rates, and financial aid should be reserved for deserving citizens. We are already being bankrupted from their K-12 education; which, by the way, the majority squander, as evidenced by their high dropout rates.
We benefit from people to college. What's bankrupting the K-12 isn't 8% of school aged children. Mexican illegal dropout rates vary according of age of entry (typically the younger the age of entry to US, the lower the rate). It ranges from about the national average to about 50%. Still this provides a good argument to why you should make college accessible. We know, based on studies of inner city schools, that having teachers come from similar backgrounds decreases dropout in the school.

There is a problem with educational attainment with the majority of illegal immigrant populations. 57% of foreign born Latino immigrants have a high school diploma or equiv. 10% of foreign born Hispanics graduated from college. Typically stats for Hispanic illegal immigrants follow the same trends as for other foreign born Hispanics.

On a side note, it is a shame that there is little data on the other 25% of illegal immigrants.

I digress. However, the UC is also pushing for less instate undergraduates. Really, the public education sector needs to be held accountable. By eliminating out of state entirely, it will make systems like the UC (which had a number of highly risky investments during the real estate boom) accountable for how it invests its funding source (students and tax payer money). Seeing how most out of state/foreign students remain in state after college, it kind of makes sense. The biggest return on investment is to have a larger educated population. That's exactly why we have public universities. So why make it harder to attain such a goal?

Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:

You obviously don't live in a border City. All the four year schools here are capping enrollment. The Junior Colleges are getting hammered because of this capped enrollment. Not only are these Illegals taking up spots meant for children of Americans but they are taking the money meant for those children too. Let Mexico and Guatemala educate their populace. I'm tired of it.

SDSU admissions policy change criticized at community forum

Old 09-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
We benefit from people to college. What's bankrupting the K-12 isn't 8% of school aged children. Mexican illegal dropout rates vary according of age of entry (typically the younger the age of entry to US, the lower the rate). It ranges from about the national average to about 50%. Still this provides a good argument to why you should make college accessible. We know, based on studies of inner city schools, that having teachers come from similar backgrounds decreases dropout in the school.

There is a problem with educational attainment with the majority of illegal immigrant populations. 57% of foreign born Latino immigrants have a high school diploma or equiv. 10% of foreign born Hispanics graduated from college. Typically stats for Hispanic illegal immigrants follow the same trends as for other foreign born Hispanics.

On a side note, it is a shame that there is little data on the other 25% of illegal immigrants.

I digress. However, the UC is also pushing for less instate undergraduates. Really, the public education sector needs to be held accountable. By eliminating out of state entirely, it will make systems like the UC (which had a number of highly risky investments during the real estate boom) accountable for how it invests its funding source (students and tax payer money). Seeing how most out of state/foreign students remain in state after college, it kind of makes sense. The biggest return on investment is to have a larger educated population. That's exactly why we have public universities. So why make it harder to attain such a goal?
I will agree on this, Illegal Aliens are considered "out of State" and should be banned from attending Universities unless there is room and they can afford it without stealing tax payer dollars.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You obviously don't live in a border City. All the four year schools here are capping enrollment. The Junior Colleges are getting hammered because of this capped enrollment. Not only are these Illegals taking up spots meant for children of Americans but they are taking the money meant for those children too. Let Mexico and Guatemala educate their populace. I'm tired of it.

SDSU admissions policy change criticized at community forum
I live in SoCal...I do. I went to a UC school. Cali (California) Freeman (my last name).

Old 09-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I will agree on this, Illegal Aliens are considered "out of State" and should be banned from attending Universities unless there is room and they can afford it without stealing tax payer dollars.
Out of state is about 40-50k. That's ridiculous for anyone. We need to get the price of college under control. I'm 60k in debt from instate tuition. It's ultimately against the tax payer to be so short sighted. We're seeing this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or