U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,040 times

Advertisements

Isn't it breaking the law for the DoD to employ them? How is it that they can change or ignore laws in favor of undocumented people, but when something goes against them, it is "unconstitutional" or shot down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Don't you think it's interesting that most volunteers sign up for 4 years but the DREAM Act only asks the undocumented for TWO ? Once again one rule for them and another for legals ?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
I think America should NOT train illegal migrants how to arm themselves, fire a gun and conduct military operations. We don't need to give military training to those who would like nothing better than to see their native homeland take over American soil. Deport them all.
Exactly. I don't want to judge though and assume that my Hispanic brethren who join the military will be gang members, but I read and report I saw about the rising rate of gangs in the military. A lot of Hispanic youth are joining the military and they have ties to Hispanic gangs. It's not just Hispanics, there are all kinds of groups in the military (White Nationalists, Hispanic gangs, Neo-Nazis, Crips, etc.), but just adding a fresh new supply of gang members into the military AND training them how to kill, is nuts. What happens when they go back to Mexico and they join up with the Zetas (which are former military members)? I knew that the recruits were gang-affiliated just by walking on base, having family there and talking to some of these guys. Yea, they were nice guys, but they were definitely gang-affiliated or were apart of the gang culture.

What are we gonna have in the US military? A bunch of people who actually pledge an allegiance to another country (Mexico)? What other country would even think of doing something like this? It's just dangerous, you know that out of the amount that will be goining, there is bound to be a serious incident that harms innocent people. And what about the potential Jihad terrorist that joins? I wonder how they researched the ramifications of this Dream Act plan? The DHS would be wise to cooperate and work with the DoD on how to make sure those who aren't a threat aren't joining the military.

Also ... what if they do not speak English? How does military training and "boot camp" work? Will English drill instructors and officers become the next group of people that are discriminated against because they don't speak Spanish? And what about on the battlefield? Will there be Spanish-speaking only teams? If not, then how will soldiers understand one another?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Isn't it breaking the law for the DoD to employ them? How is it that they can change or ignore laws in favor of undocumented people, but when something goes against them, it is "unconstitutional" or shot down?
I assume the DREAM Act would provide them with some kind of temporary visa once they apply that would allow the military to enlist them?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Don't you think it's interesting that most volunteers sign up for 4 years but the DREAM Act only asks the undocumented for TWO ? Once again one rule for them and another for legals ?
Yup. In ROTC, I had to sign up for four years to receive a scholarship, so why should a Dream Act beneficiary only have to sign up for two? Not that I wouldn't take my four years, but it is once again crapping on the legal residents and giving undocumented people special privileges.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I assume the DREAM Act would provide them with some kind of temporary visa once they apply that would allow the military to enlist them?
Exactly, that is bending the rules, inventing a new rule that gives them eligibility. Yet, when something needs to be bent to deport or to reduce illegal immigration, it is seen as unlawful or unconstitutinal. Basically, it is OK to BEND the rules to make things OK for undocumented immigrants, but it is not OK to reinvent or create measures to reduce illegal immigration. In fact, the laws don't need to be bent to reduce illegal immigration, they just need to be enforced.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM

I've been reading some articles on the DREAM Act (from both sides) and I did come across one example of where our immigration system has fallen down. This kid was brought here by his parents illegally when he was 4 months old. Since then his parents have managed to be approved and adjust their status and are now LPR since before this kid was 21, but because of the backlog in application approvals/denials he "aged out" at 21 and is no longer eligible to get legal status based on his parents LPR status. To me in THIS case, that seems very wrong. If the parents became legal while this man was still a minor it seems to me the fair and equitable thing would be for any minor children to derive status from their parents?

I realise this type of situation is an exceedingly small % of those who would benefit from the DREAM Act, but it does show our immigration system definitely needs some tweaks to prevent these anomalies.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Quote:
Given that illegal aliens can NOT join our military, they will be legalized first; then, they will be eligible. Interesting, isnít it? Putting the cart before the horse.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM

233 posts, read 389,752 times
On the chance that this passes I would be interested in how many would join and then simply leave like my girlfriends son was able to do soon after he signed up, by telling them he had once had a drug problem and was craving it again, he got out immediately. Would those that choose not to fulfill their commintment then be stripped of the legalization? Or will they still be forever legal? Something tells me there will be no provision for such and occurance and there will be lots of other loopholes they will find and abuse.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
On the chance that this passes I would be interested in how many would join and then simply leave like my girlfriends son was able to do soon after he signed up, by telling them he had once had a drug problem and was craving it again, he got out immediately. Would those that choose not to fulfill their commintment then be stripped of the legalization? Or will they still be forever legal? Something tells me there will be no provision for such and occurance and there will be lots of other loopholes they will find and abuse.
Few DREAMies have ANY interest in joining our military. Harry Reid and his cohort of pandering liars only emphasized the military provision to garner support. Itís shameful that he would attach this garbage to a defense bill for political gain. He knew it wouldnít pass, but he had to prove to the Hispanic voters that he is trying to legalize the status of their illegal relatives and friends.

There will be loopholes galore, and they will exploit all. Plus, we know their status wonít be monitored, so they can enroll in college and never attend one day. No one is going to review their cases to ensure compliance; just as no one monitors tourist visas, as evidenced by the millions who have managed to overstay visas for 10+ years. Itís a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration