U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 AM
 
2,287 posts, read 2,501,810 times
Reputation: 7000

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
See you're whole gripe was that they didn't speak English. Is it possible that if you looked at the demographics of those that spoke English and those that didn't you would find a trend? A trend that maybe shows that those that didn't know English were possibly poorer and had less resources? For such a compassionate person, isn't it a tad hypocritical to take an against the poor stance? Then again you came out of the poverty of the depression (and was raised in the second most affluent time period of our nation...you weren't raised in the depression. My dad is your age, the poverty of the depression was years before, WWII is not the depression era), so you would have such a compassionate streak. I would assume right?
I'm going to put this as nicely as I can. What I am getting from your post, is that you want us to sacrifice our own childrens education because of the spanish speaking illegal children, right? And if we dont think thats the right thing to do, we have no compassion. Also, with all the attacking your doing to Annie about her previous "poverty", your saying NO American has been as poor as you. I will state, I will put my deceased fathers Poverty against anything you have posted. None of your stories has his beat, and he was born & raised in Virginia, so yes he was a American. I personally am really taking a dislike to this one upmanship of who's been poorer & who's given more. It goes way beyond tacky and disrespectful.

I truly admire Annie for all she's done and for the unselfishness of her good deeds. You say it counts more for giving to family... I say it is more giving to give of yourself to strangers. I'm done posting in this thread, as its been taken over, but I will ask nicely that you quit making it so personal against a very nice person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-17-2010, 02:48 AM
 
344 posts, read 153,361 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I'm going to put this as nicely as I can. What I am getting from your post, is that you want us to sacrifice our own childrens education because of the spanish speaking illegal children, right? And if we dont think thats the right thing to do, we have no compassion. Also, with all the attacking your doing to Annie about her previous "poverty", your saying NO American has been as poor as you. I will state, I will put my deceased fathers Poverty against anything you have posted. None of your stories has his beat, and he was born & raised in Virginia, so yes he was a American. I personally am really taking a dislike to this one upmanship of who's been poorer & who's given more. It goes way beyond tacky and disrespectful.

I truly admire Annie for all she's done and for the unselfishness of her good deeds. You say it counts more for giving to family... I say it is more giving to give of yourself to strangers. I'm done posting in this thread, as its been taken over, but I will ask nicely that you quit making it so personal against a very nice person.
Her stance is thus is hypocritical. You can't be a champion of the poor then criticize people for being too poor to not know English. That's a very hypocritical stance. I didn't attack he. I pointed out, rightly, the glaring hypocrisy. Initially through her misuse of language (since her point was that English should be a prerequisite to entrance...it was meant to show we shouldn't judge as well as at what point is English proficiency needed).

I could care less about the poverty issue concerning Annie. I've seen A LOT. WAY MORE than possibly your deceased father. Half my family is in Africa. Peasant farmers. However, my main point of contention is that there is a level of hypocrisy when you claim to do these wonderful things and then criticize on the basis on language without taking into consideration demographic disparities. It's glaring.

She may or not be nice. I don't know her. My point isn't about niceness; it's about her stances that she decides to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Yac
 
5,877 posts, read 6,306,735 times
20 deleted, completely off topic posts later, I feel I have to stress the fact that if fights like this continue to break out it won't end with posts being deleted.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
what's your ancestry? You think you are a god or something? I am sure your ancestors were poor when they migrated to this land due to monetary reasons.
Our ancestors weren't here for the social program handouts. There weren't any back then. They also came LEGALLY. There is no clause in our immigration laws today that permits you to come here just because you are poor. If there was there would be millions more poor from across the planet that would come here. We simply cannot accomodate every poor person in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
 
Location: texas
155 posts, read 146,379 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Our ancestors weren't here for the social program handouts. There weren't any back then. They also came LEGALLY. There is no clause in our immigration laws today that permits you to come here just because you are poor. If there was there would be millions more poor from across the planet that would come here. We simply cannot accomodate every poor person in the world.
well just to make your point, america was virgin territory in those days,
just watching the african american suffer was enough not to come if they all were all a true ethical person, when it came
to putting others rather than themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by inturbide1981 View Post
well just to make your point, america was virgin territory in those days,
just watching the african american suffer was enough not to come if they all were all a true ethical person, when it came
to putting others rather than themselves
You're entitled to your opinion about the past but we still aren't responsible for what our ancestors did and didn't back then. I am only responsible for my own actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 AM
 
Location: texas
155 posts, read 146,379 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're entitled to your opinion about the past but we still aren't responsible for what our ancestors did and didn't back then. I am only responsible for my own actions.
and your right your just responsible for YOUR ACTIONS AND NON OTHERS.
so what I am saying is
as a generation we have to make up for trillions of dollars spent on nuclear weapons. since 1950 we have only had 8 surplus budgets
out of 60, and the funny thing is the surpluses were when we are having all these illegal immigration factor.

Illegals are the smallest wrongdoing in america, is the easiest one we can solve because they dont have a right to be here, but like everything in life we should start with the most difficult to feel more accomplishments.

second I like your way of thinking would you agree that instead of asking for illegals for their proper documentation, we could ask him who employes you? and search and fine them for all the illegals wrongdoing?
and give that money back to american taxpayers.

but what would happen if the business oppose all the fines, because consumers consume it making them just as responsible for all of the illegal mess thats going on.

because how are you going to explain to all the countries that our citizens were electing leaders that were responsible.

since 1990 illegals have been coming in at more than 500,000 a year.
1990 no slap in the hand
1991 no slap in the hand
1992 no slap in the hand
1993 no slap in the hand
1994 no slap in the hand
1995 no slap in the hand
1996 no slap in the hand
1997 no slap in the hand
1998 no slap in the hand
1999 no slap in the hand
2000 no slap in the hand
2001 no slap in the hand
2002 no slap in the hand
2003 no slap in the hand
2004 no slap in the hand
2005 no slap in the hand
2006 no slap in the hand
2007 no slap in the hand
2008 no slap in the hand
2009 no slap in the hand
2010 FIXXXXXXXXXXXXX THE PROBLEM (DOES THAT SHOW THAT YOURE A CITIZEN CONCERN OF YOUR ACTIONS?)

or just shows that most where in their little world of ME, ME, ME, ME ,ME, ME until this crisis surfaced?

From the Left -- A US Forum on Combating Globalization, combating, globalization, anti-globalization, neoliberalism, free trade, offshoring, immigration, inequality, climate change, militarization
United States public debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
US Federal Deficit As Percent Of GDP in United States 1900-2010 - Federal State Local
Issue Brief: The Costs of U.S. Nuclear Weapons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top