U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
Reputation: 6050

Advertisements

USATODAY.com

So, of course, resources will be shifted from students born of American parents, speaking English, to students that have to learn English. But, I guess that is okay with pro illegal supporters.....we are already becoming a second rate country in the sciences and math.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2010, 01:55 PM
 
344 posts, read 152,933 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
USATODAY.com

So, of course, resources will be shifted from students born of American parents, speaking English, to students that have to learn English. But, I guess that is okay with pro illegal supporters.....we are already becoming a second rate country in the sciences and math.....
Because ALL immigration is illegal? Most immigrants legally. Teaching English as a second language is beneficial to society. It helps immigrants, and their children, assimilate and increases prospects of employment.

As for math and science, that is a part of lack of funding in education. We have too high teacher turnover in inner city schools that also contributes to lower math and science scores. Has nothing to do with immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Because ALL immigration is illegal? Most immigrants legally. Teaching English as a second language is beneficial to society. It helps immigrants, and their children, assimilate and increases prospects of employment.

As for math and science, that is a part of lack of funding in education. We have too high teacher turnover in inner city schools that also contributes to lower math and science scores. Has nothing to do with immigration.
I honestly cant believe you are saying that most immigration is legal. They are actually busing children in from Mexico to Arizona schools but, no one is paying attention to that item.....

Of course, there is a lack of funding because in our own schools, they have to hire Spanish language teachers to accommodate the childrenthat do not speak or can barely understand english. My daughter, 9th grade, is taking a Spanish class and the teacher had to get a bilingual to explain the homework to the other kids...fact.

And, if you are saying they are legal immigrants, then why didnt they make any effort to learn English before they came to an English speaking country ?

YOur arguements are specious at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 PM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Reputation: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I honestly cant believe you are saying that most immigration is legal. They are actually busing children in from Mexico to Arizona schools but, no one is paying attention to that item.....

Of course, there is a lack of funding because in our own schools, they have to hire Spanish language teachers to accommodate the childrenthat do not speak or can barely understand english. My daughter, 9th grade, is taking a Spanish class and the teacher had to get a bilingual to explain the homework to the other kids...fact.

And, if you are saying they are legal immigrants, then why didnt they make any effort to learn English before they came to an English speaking country ?

YOur arguements are specious at best.
There are untold millions of immigrants from all over the world who are willing to jump through what ever hoops are necessary to come to America and become an American citizen. These are people who have no agenda to make America turn into the country they come from. We will not have to bend their arm and beg them to learn English. They are not interested in being a victim and making excuses for failure. They view American citizenship as a privilege and a honor. These are people who will pull their weight and not demand special privileges. We will not have to coddle them and hold their hand. We are drowning in political correctness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Because ALL immigration is illegal? Most immigrants legally. Teaching English as a second language is beneficial to society. It helps immigrants, and their children, assimilate and increases prospects of employment.

As for math and science, that is a part of lack of funding in education. We have too high teacher turnover in inner city schools that also contributes to lower math and science scores. Has nothing to do with immigration.
I'm trying not to be abusive.

Are you out of your mind? Do you REALLY live in reality of this situation?

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT ALIENS have no RIGHT to anything in this Country. They came here "for a better life" on MY dime. In DROVES. I'm BROKE. GO HOME.

This passive argument for allowing children, foodless, jobless people into this Country plays on the compassion of America, an abuse of our good willness. They continue to push forward in all being equal and minced with words like Constitution, human rights and being decent. It's ABSURD. We are NOT equal, Americans busted our assess for a decent life and they want to come and have it without the price, except for what America pays.

Build the building, then "we" (illegal aliens) get to own it. THATS CRAZY.

Get out, build your own Country, THEN if you need help, maybe we'll send a few bucks your way. Mess with me, fine but don't mess with my money cause it AIN'T yours, got my blood and sweat all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
 
344 posts, read 152,933 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I honestly cant believe you are saying that most immigration is legal. They are actually busing children in from Mexico to Arizona schools but, no one is paying attention to that item.....

Of course, there is a lack of funding because in our own schools, they have to hire Spanish language teachers to accommodate the childrenthat do not speak or can barely understand english. My daughter, 9th grade, is taking a Spanish class and the teacher had to get a bilingual to explain the homework to the other kids...fact.

And, if you are saying they are legal immigrants, then why didnt they make any effort to learn English before they came to an English speaking country ?

YOur arguements are specious at best.
Most immigrants are legal. That's not a contentious point. Also, it's ironic that you're stance is that people need to learn English before coming here. You need A LOT of work in that department. Here's a little tip, when making that sort of argument, make sure you proofread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM
 
344 posts, read 152,933 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I'm trying not to be abusive.

Are you out of your mind? Do you REALLY live in reality of this situation?

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT ALIENS have no RIGHT to anything in this Country. They came here "for a better life" on MY dime. In DROVES. I'm BROKE. GO HOME.

This passive argument for allowing children, foodless, jobless people into this Country plays on the compassion of America, an abuse of our good willness. They continue to push forward in all being equal and minced with words like Constitution, human rights and being decent. It's ABSURD. We are NOT equal, Americans busted our assess for a decent life and they want to come and have it without the price, except for what America pays.

Build the building, then "we" (illegal aliens) get to own it. THATS CRAZY.

Get out, build your own Country, THEN if you need help, maybe we'll send a few bucks your way. Mess with me, fine but don't mess with my money cause it AIN'T yours, got my blood and sweat all over it.
What is your point. It seems like much of the arguments are vitriolic in nature. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Most immigrants are legal. That's not a contentious point. Also, it's ironic that you're stance is that people need to learn English before coming here. You need A LOT of work in that department. Here's a little tip, when making that sort of argument, make sure you proofread.
False. Even your Pew Hispanic acknowledges the trend has shifted. We simply cannot sustain this level of illegal immigration.

Quote:
More immigrants came to the United States illegally from 2000 through 2004 than the number who were granted legal status in those years. .

Pew demographer Jeffrey S. Passel said he believes this was the first time in the nation's history that new illegal arrivals outnumbered new legal immigrants. "The presence of the undocumented makes a big difference," he said. "This is what differentiates this from 100 years ago. There really wasn't anything like what we call illegal immigration today."
Report Details Growth in Illegal Migration - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Califreeman View Post
Most immigrants are legal. That's not a contentious point. Also, it's ironic that you're stance is that people need to learn English before coming here. You need A LOT of work in that department. Here's a little tip, when making that sort of argument, make sure you proofread.
I cant believe you are focusing on a misspelled word or the comma not being in the right place during a heated, passionate discussion. You got the gist/meaning of my statements......focus on the discussion, not nitpicking......

I am over 65, put myself through school while rearing 3 kids, by myself. I own my own home and provided somewhat, after all of that, for a retirement that isnt going to happen. I am self employed and work fulltime out of necessity. My avocation is assisting abused and neglected kids. I have seen the times when I didnt know how I was going to take my kids to the doctor or give them lunch money for school. I never EVER asked for any kind of help. They have never been in jail and are successful, middle aged people.
So, until you have traveled down my road, you have no right to patronize me......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2010, 05:03 PM
 
Location: texas
155 posts, read 146,157 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
USATODAY.com

So, of course, resources will be shifted from students born of American parents, speaking English, to students that have to learn English. But, I guess that is okay with pro illegal supporters.....we are already becoming a second rate country in the sciences and math.....
sorry to inform you annie
America's Math and Science Crisis: Losing the Global Edge | Your America | Reader's Digest

China will likely produce six times the number of engineers next year than we will graduate, according to Mike Gibbons of the American Society for Engineering Education. Japan, with half our population, has minted twice as many in recent years.

that battle has been lost to a long time ago and you know why?

defense expenditures, social security, outsourcing,

america needs smart and cheap labor, thats her only chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top