U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:43 AM

398 posts, read 1,265,332 times

Advertisements

The city of Miami is preparing for a massive Cuban exodus after Fidel Castro dies.

Now, this is what really doesn't make sense and doesn't have any rational explanation at least for me. That's why I'm asking this. Isn't that Fidel Castro has been the problem for millions of Cubans all these years? I mean, that is the only reason why Cubans come here; because life in Cuba is unsustainable, due to Castro's terror-communist dictatorship. Cubans, unable to develop their own nation as the would like, need to go out.

But once Castro dies, the problem is automatically gone. Common sense tells me that the day he dies, millions of Cubans should go back to Cuba and finally build their own nation like they always dreamed.

Instead, thousands are expected to come here?? what is the excuse to enter here now? why they choose The USA and not Puerto Rico, or Dominican Republic? or Venezuela? What is the reason to get out of Cuba after Castro dies if they can take control of their own nation and welcome The USA invests to build the country?

Thanks for helping me with this issue. Unless true and true equals false and I didn't know about it, this doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 02:17 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,376,904 times
I agree with you UNLESS they find someone just as horrible to take his place...

I am not Cuban but I have met many since moving to Florida...more so then any other group of hispanics, they talk of their home and what it was BEFORE Castro took over...many have started talking about wanting to go home and make it the jewel of the Carribean it once was...

Old 06-30-2007, 02:36 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,681,215 times
I used to live in Miami and I am an Italian american.....Personally i found it easier to live among Cubans in Miami than Puerto Ricans in Orlando.....

but that's just my personal opinion from experience......dont get me wrong....i have met some nice Puerto Ricans and even get along with some of them in places ive worked.....but i find Cubans to be more of a humble type of Latin......

Now the reason they all want to flee Cuba after Fiedel dies is simple......since it is a communist country and still will be even after Fiedel goes ....they have a better chance at building a better life in the USA....in which alot of thier families already live here and have become established in the US and really wouldnt want to leave some of thier good paying jobs over here to go live in communist Cuba even if they love it with thier hearts......

The reason most want to leave after Fiedel dies is because it might be easier to actually get out of the country without him in power....because they are not really free to just up and leave when they want because they can be imprisoned.....The U.S. only allows Cuba to have a certain amount of Visas for Cubans to enter the U.S. so the other people that have families here already want to come here but arent allowed so they come illegally.........that's why you dont see tons of Cubans landing in Miami International Airport by airplane because many of them sneak thier way out of Cuba by building a raft......since Miami is so close that is where most of them float to......

Now Puerto Ricans dont have the problems with leaving thier country like Cubans and thats why you dont hear of boat loads of Puerto Ricans coming on shore....The "main" problem Puerto Ricans have getting over here is having enough money to make it here and start a new life.......its not a freedom issue there since they are part of the U.S.

Last edited by THASPECIAL; 06-30-2007 at 03:20 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 02:43 AM

6,112 posts, read 10,153,432 times
Castro's greatest ally has been the US trade and travel embargo. No one in southern Florida, geographically and climatically a Caribbean territory, and other power sectors of the US have any interest in Cuba's becoming the "jewel" of the Caribbean again.

When Fidel Castro dies, most likely some one, or a group of some ones with experience, will take his place, and relatively little will change, and the US, despite the propaganda, won't really mind too much.

Another possible scenario is that Venezuela or some other power tries to take over in military force, which would lead to an armed conflict with the US, and, yes, then southern Florida, and probably other parts of the Caribbean, would have a massive refugee situation.

Another possible scenario, but probably the least likely, is that the US unconditionally ends its travel and trade embargo, allows normal human relations between the people of Cuba and the US, and, by osmosis, affect change through normal human interaction. But we can't have that, can we?

I may be wrong, but this is how I view it.

We mere mortals can only guess on the actual reality and on what may or may not happen when Castro dies. And when, in a year, ten years, twenty years?

My grandfather, with only mediocre medical care at best, is 91 and still going. Imagine the doctors that Castro has. He can linger on for another ten years, maybe more.

Anyway, anyone's guess is as good as the next one's. One thing is for sure: the official propaganda is probably furthest from the truth or at best a twisted and exaggerated version of only part of the truth, which is only typically human, and that's part of the reason why we can't enjoy more fruitful relations. Che peccato!

Old 06-30-2007, 06:59 AM

200 posts, read 796,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I agree with you UNLESS they find someone just as horrible to take his place...

I am not Cuban but I have met many since moving to Florida...more so then any other group of hispanics, they talk of their home and what it was BEFORE Castro took over...many have started talking about wanting to go home and make it the jewel of the Carribean it once was...
Exactly! I married a Cuban man and his family and every othe Cuban I have met are dead set on getting back to their home country. It is their passion.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 AM

44 posts, read 202,944 times
I am Cuban and will tell you what I think although it is after all just a guess. A lot of people will leave no matter who takes over after Castro (communist or not) because half the family is here. One thing Castro has done is split a whole lot of Cuban families and people will do their best to reunite. It will take many years for Cuba to get back on the right track. However, the travelling will be both ways. There will be a lot of people leaving here to go back and help with the process...A couple of years ago I read an article in a local magazine, not sure if it was South Florida Business (something to that effect), and it talked about all the Cubans here who own big companies who have plans to go back to the island once Castro is gone and begin the rebuilding process as well as setting up a credit system so things could slowly change for the better.

I don't know that Cuba will become the "jewel" of the Caribbean again, but I do think the island has a lot of potential and people are ready for the change.

I will not move back permanently at first, but if the opportunity came up I'd love to go work and eventually stay. My parents plan on retiring there and so does my uncle who has a house in Varadero and is always dreaming about going back there to live.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:34 PM

113 posts, read 430,273 times
You only have to look over in Eastern Europe for an explanation. Communism has been dead there for over ~20 years still most of those countries are struggling. Hungary, Romania, Poland, Bulgaria, etc...

And what happened when these countries joined the EU? Did they stay and build their own nations? Nope.... There was a mass influx of immigrants to establish Western European countries.

Bottom line is people are lazy, they want to pole vault to a better life.

IMHO Cuban's will continue the exodus of their failed country. It will never be the "Jewel" of the Caribbean, it barely survives now as it is after YEARS of heavy subsidies from the former Soviet Union, and now Venezuela. Not to mention all the remittances sent back to Cuba by Cubans in the USA.

Last edited by unixpilot; 06-30-2007 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-30-2007, 06:32 PM

150 posts, read 378,290 times
Default Why will Cubans still come here?

Raul.

He is Fidel's Brother, and he is supposed to be taking over when Fidel finally leaves. And he is supposed to be as big, or bigger *******, than Fidel. Furthermore, like it has been previously mentioned, the economy will not instantly boom, even if democracy and capitalism went to cuba. Recently there was a series of articles in the Miami Herald about the immigration between eastern and westen Europe. The article was talking about cabbage farmers in Germany, and they all came from Croatia. So, if Democracy went to Cuba and the borders were opened, they would all come here.

Fawkes

El Gringo de Miami

Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 PM

398 posts, read 1,265,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
Exactly! I married a Cuban man and his family and every othe Cuban I have met are dead set on getting back to their home country. It is their passion.

Well, I think that's the good type of Cubans. Almost 99% of Cubans I see here in Miami, "love" Cuba. If they left the country they love, I can understand it because they just can't do something different. But if the main problem, Castro or communism at all is gone, if they love Cuba, they should go back. I can't understand when people, for example from other south american countries, come here and live phisically here but menataly in the country they left behind.

Those examples from ex communist countries joining the EU and then migrating to other places, are true, but I trhink those are bad quality of immigrants and each nation should protect its borders (yeah we better don't talk about borders here) and I'm, affraid, if Cubans some day have all the way clear to build their own nation with sacrifice, maybe most of them will want to come here; and coming here just to make a better living, is not good for our country. I hope after Castro the wet foot dry foot law immediately stops and immigration from Cuba should be adjusted to the current immigration policies like any other country; that is fair for everybody.

Other problem Cuba faces today, seems to be race. Cubans, are one of the most racist people I've ever met from South America. I am sorry to say this but I say it from experience. They just don't like Black people and indians. And one of the problems they have commented me, is that in all these years, under Castro's tragedy, Black race and mix between White and Black has become the majority of the population. According to what they say, the society has been degraded, with no education, family values hve been extinguished, traditions have been erased from the culture. I don;t know; seems like even if you take out communism from Cuba, it will never be a paradaise or a country to live. UNLESS the people change their minds. But if they decide to leave, and chose the United States within hundreds of countries around the world, I hope they act with good faith, forget Cuba, and become part of the best nation in the world. The United States of America.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:18 PM

10 posts, read 41,177 times
stop blame for all things done without a permit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or