Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,098,159 times

Advertisements

The immigrant increase is due to the higher birth rates of most immigrant groups. Mexicans moved from 17th to 5th in immigrant totals with a quadrupling in numbers that the report acknowledges can not be due to birth-rates and legal immigration alone.
Jeffrey Passel, a demographer with the Pew Hispanic Center who has studied the issue, said that nationally, 80 to 85 percent of all Mexican immigration since 1990 was undocumented, while among other immigrant groups, a great majority had entered legally. "Any place that's getting a lot of new immigration from Mexico, virtually all of it is undocumented," Mr. Passel said, "and that certainly includes New York."
The report also looks into ethnicity's and how they settle once they get here, their education levels and their median incomes and poverty rates. For a contrast one of the examples is showing the Mexican community and how it fares against the Filipino community.
Though Mexicans had the city's lowest median earnings ($16,737 for women, $21,284 for men) and lowest levels of education (slightly more than a third graduated from high school), they managed to bring their household incomes to 85 percent of the city median of $37,700, by having multiple workers in overcrowded households. That was a strategy used even by highly educated foreign-born groups like the city's 49,600 Filipinos, at the other end of the spectrum. Median female earning among Filipinos was $51,000, and median household income $70,500, both the highest of any immigrant group. Though there are only 60 Filipino men to every 100 Filipino women, the Filipino poverty rate is only 5.3 percent, a fourth the citywide rate of 21 percent; only 2 percent receive public assistance.
One of the reasons for this is not only education level, but being willing to assimilate into the culture and society of America. Most in the Mexican community continue to speak Spanish and rather than learn English try to force the educational systems to support their bilingual education throughout their educational career. Filipino's, as a group, come in willing and able to fit into society, work hard and don't expect handouts.
How can I say such a racist thing? Well first of all I've been married to a Filipino for nearly 15 years and have watched the immigration of Filipino's through legal means to this country. I have watched them from their first arrival to their first job to the way they have raised their kids. I have watched a child of 6 just starting in first grade all the way to medical school.
Now I have also watched the Mexican community in my area, being from California. They have more kids than they should and do not try to get their kids to fit in. Where Filipino's speak both Tagalog and English at home, Mexican immigrants speak only Spanish and do not attempt to give their kids an edge by learning English themselves. They resist fitting in and will settle for a menial job and not try to advance further.
This is the big difference between the two groups. One number that skews my observations is of course the issue of illegal immigration. Where most Filipino's are here legally, most Mexican's -- as noted by the pew study above 80-85% -- are not here legally. A slew of uneducated and non English speaking illegal aliens from Mexico knock the numbers way out of whack making all Mexicans look as if they are uneducated and under the poverty line and looking for a handout. While this is obviously not true, the Hispanic community would do itself a favor by getting these miscreants and criminals that are coming across our borders out.

Immigration Changing The Face Of New York City Drastically : Diggers Realm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:58 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,274,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
The immigrant increase is due to the higher birth rates of most immigrant groups. Mexicans moved from 17th to 5th in immigrant totals with a quadrupling in numbers that the report acknowledges can not be due to birth-rates and legal immigration alone.
Jeffrey Passel, a demographer with the Pew Hispanic Center who has studied the issue, said that nationally, 80 to 85 percent of all Mexican immigration since 1990 was undocumented, while among other immigrant groups, a great majority had entered legally. "Any place that's getting a lot of new immigration from Mexico, virtually all of it is undocumented," Mr. Passel said, "and that certainly includes New York."
The report also looks into ethnicity's and how they settle once they get here, their education levels and their median incomes and poverty rates. For a contrast one of the examples is showing the Mexican community and how it fares against the Filipino community.
Though Mexicans had the city's lowest median earnings ($16,737 for women, $21,284 for men) and lowest levels of education (slightly more than a third graduated from high school), they managed to bring their household incomes to 85 percent of the city median of $37,700, by having multiple workers in overcrowded households. That was a strategy used even by highly educated foreign-born groups like the city's 49,600 Filipinos, at the other end of the spectrum. Median female earning among Filipinos was $51,000, and median household income $70,500, both the highest of any immigrant group. Though there are only 60 Filipino men to every 100 Filipino women, the Filipino poverty rate is only 5.3 percent, a fourth the citywide rate of 21 percent; only 2 percent receive public assistance.
One of the reasons for this is not only education level, but being willing to assimilate into the culture and society of America. Most in the Mexican community continue to speak Spanish and rather than learn English try to force the educational systems to support their bilingual education throughout their educational career. Filipino's, as a group, come in willing and able to fit into society, work hard and don't expect handouts.
How can I say such a racist thing? Well first of all I've been married to a Filipino for nearly 15 years and have watched the immigration of Filipino's through legal means to this country. I have watched them from their first arrival to their first job to the way they have raised their kids. I have watched a child of 6 just starting in first grade all the way to medical school.
Now I have also watched the Mexican community in my area, being from California. They have more kids than they should and do not try to get their kids to fit in. Where Filipino's speak both Tagalog and English at home, Mexican immigrants speak only Spanish and do not attempt to give their kids an edge by learning English themselves. They resist fitting in and will settle for a menial job and not try to advance further.
This is the big difference between the two groups. One number that skews my observations is of course the issue of illegal immigration. Where most Filipino's are here legally, most Mexican's -- as noted by the pew study above 80-85% -- are not here legally. A slew of uneducated and non English speaking illegal aliens from Mexico knock the numbers way out of whack making all Mexicans look as if they are uneducated and under the poverty line and looking for a handout. While this is obviously not true, the Hispanic community would do itself a favor by getting these miscreants and criminals that are coming across our borders out.

Immigration Changing The Face Of New York City Drastically : Diggers Realm
I used to work with many Filipino immigrants and citizens and what you are saying is the truth. They are educated, hardworking and assimilate well into our society. They keep their native traditions and languages alive at home but in public and on the job are not rude, arrogant and demanding with a sense of entitlement as many Mexicans are. Of course to my knowledge the Mexicans I speak of were either legal immigrants or citizens of this country and not illegal aliens but we have already been provided with much evidence that the illegal ones are the same way.

Don't get your hopes up that many Americans of Mexican ancestry are going to join the rule of law bandwagon and demand the removal of illegal aliens from our midst. Ethnocentricism seems to be a part of the culture.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM

26,839 posts, read 15,071,885 times
From what I experience on my job (90%+ Mexican) they have a great sense of community but very little sense of private property.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
From what I experience on my job (90%+ Mexican) they have a great sense of community but very little sense of private property.
By sense of community I would guess you mean "their" community?

Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,509,658 times
Quote:

Something needs to be done about this. That is absolutely correct.

Quote:
There is one flaw with your statement. Those who arrive legally have a lot more money than those who don't. To expect those with money and those who were practically starving to death assimilate at the same pace is rather unreasonable.

I taught bilingual education in the Rio Grande Valley for many years. The second generation knows Spanish, but they speak English first. There are exceptions, but for the vast majority this is the case. Furthermore, bilingual is the result of studies that show teaching children in their native language first results in quicker foreign language development. It takes the average person 7 years to really know how to speak a language.

Quote:
Poorer people tend to be more religious. Mexicans tend to be Catholic. Of course they have more children. It's what their religion teaches them is the right thing to do.

As for Mexicans not trying to fit in, I have observed in the Valley that it often times has to do with shame. We underestimate how intimidated many Mexican Americans are of those that are educated.

I can't speak for California as I have only lived there for 15 months of my life. In Texas, I disagree with Mexicans only trying to teach their children Spanish. In both areas I have taught, which include the Rio Grande Valley and Houston, Mexican parents are always at school when you call and generally demand you teach their children in English. It is the educators selling the parents on bilingual education using studies over the years causing many children to participate in this program.

Overall, I think it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison due to the fact that either you have to have a lot of money or a work sponsor in order to come here legally.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,503,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

[/indent]

There is one flaw with your statement. Those who arrive legally have a lot more money than those who don't. To expect those with money and those who were practically starving to death assimilate at the same pace is rather unreasonable.

I taught bilingual education in the Rio Grande Valley for many years. The second generation knows Spanish, but they speak English first. There are exceptions, but for the vast majority this is the case. Furthermore, bilingual is the result of studies that show teaching children in their native language first results in quicker foreign language development. It takes the average person 7 years to really know how to speak a language.

Poorer people tend to be more religious. Mexicans tend to be Catholic. Of course they have more children. It's what their religion teaches them is the right thing to do.

As for Mexicans not trying to fit in, I have observed in the Valley that it often times has to do with shame. We underestimate how intimidated many Mexican Americans are of those that are educated.

I can't speak for California as I have only lived there for 15 months of my life. In Texas, I disagree with Mexicans only trying to teach their children Spanish. In both areas I have taught, which include the Rio Grande Valley and Houston, Mexican parents are always at school when you call and generally demand you teach their children in English. It is the educators selling the parents on bilingual education using studies over the years causing many children to participate in this program.

Overall, I think it is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison due to the fact that either you have to have a lot of money or a work sponsor in order to come here legally.
Bottom line: We have more than enough uneducated citizens. We certainly don’t need to import more from Mexico or any other country. We need immigrants with skills. We can’t afford to continue squandering billions on ESL classes for people who are here illegally. Let them learn English in their countries of origin, and then go through the legal immigration process.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:

[/indent]

But we don't need to import more people into this country who are big breeders and uneducated with few skills. We already have over 300 million people in this country.

As for Mexicans, most aren't starving in their country. What has that to do with assimilaltion anyway?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,808,813 times
Historically New York (city) has always been a melting pot of immigrants from all corners of the globe - which isn't surprising being as it was the main point of entry for immigrants from Europe and elsewhere.

What IS changing according to the article is the change in the demographic being fuelled by VAST hordes of illegals from one particular country.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,470,334 times
Quote:
It requires a lot of money to live in the USA - the cost of living in the USA is considerably higher than the cost of living in Mexico and especially when they decide they must have many many children.

I don't believe most legal immigrants today have a work sponsor, most are brought in by family sponsors which is why we see so many immigrants now sitting around in welfare offices.

Many people are under the mistaken belief that the family member that sponsors an immigrant has to support their immigrant which is not the case, the sponsor's wages are included in with their immigrant's wages for means testing for the purpose of welfare handouts. If the sponsor makes $15,000 a year and his immigrant makes $10,000 - they count it as $25,000 a year for the purpose of food stamps, Medicaid, government housing, SS disability and so on.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,911,872 times
Why is it that some people think we must allow a mosque to be built at the 911 site because not to do so would be breaking the law, but they are perfectly fine with keeping illegals in the country, which IS breaking the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration